Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Womens board advice for daughter (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/136297-womens-board-advice-daughter.html)

f00bar 03-26-2014 08:19 AM

Womens board advice for daughter
 
Took my daughter to the hill to fall down the slopes for the first time with me. She used to ski, tried boarding once about 7 years ago but it was with friends who basically took her to the top and said ok, go down. Obviously was a bad experience.

Anyway, this time around with lessons she actually did really well and was off the bunny slope by early afternoon. Then she reminds me that just before our hiatus from winter sports about 5 years ago I promised her new skis. So that's turned into a new board for next year.

She's 19, 5'7, 130lb. A beginner board, something feminine, all mountain for New England boarding, so decent on the hard stuff.

She's done for the season so I'm trying to get a leg up so I can start looking for some good deals either new or lightly used as the sales continue.

Opinions in what to look for?

hightyme 03-26-2014 08:58 AM

Gnu/Rome
 
Gnu B-Nice (Magnatraction would be great for packed groomers)

Rome Lo-Fi Rocker, Wildcat or Romp
(keep it Rocker/No Hang Ups Rocker)

Sized around 146-149 depending on board and riding style preferred.
(check the board specs for weight)

Lamps 03-26-2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f00bar (Post 1642281)
Took my daughter to the hill to fall down the slopes for the first time with me. She used to ski, tried boarding once about 7 years ago but it was with friends who basically took her to the top and said ok, go down. Obviously was a bad experience.

Anyway, this time around with lessons she actually did really well and was off the bunny slope by early afternoon. Then she reminds me that just before our hiatus from winter sports about 5 years ago I promised her new skis. So that's turned into a new board for next year.

She's 19, 5'7, 130lb. A beginner board, something feminine, all mountain for New England boarding, so decent on the hard stuff.

She's done for the season so I'm trying to get a leg up so I can start looking for some good deals either new or lightly u
sed as the sales continue.

Opinions in what to look for?

in the used market look for a burton feather around 149 to 152 cms, with the expectation that she will flip it at the end of next season or maybe a year later, it's a super easy board to learn on, not great on ice but the forgiving turning ability for learners more than makes up for it.

how icy is it where you ride, and how much is that a concern. If it's often icy and she really hated icy conditions when skiing then look at a cambered board like the burton deja vu or feelgood. These will be harder to learn on, will be one and done; a board she could ride for a long time. If she was off the bunny hills in a day she seems to be learner fairly quickly, this might be the way to go.

If ice is secondary then burton lipstick or social or deja vu in flying v would also be good choices; edge hold will be a bit less but they turn easy and are fun to ride.

disclaimer, my wife, kids, and I all ride burton stuff, so I only know that brand, others can talk about options from other brands, many choices there of course.

Most important, get boots that fit well, most of your time and energy should be on finding a good boot fit, board and bindings are secondary, especially for beginners

marie4214 03-26-2014 09:05 AM

looking into buying a board for next season I believe the I have the size right but do not know the type of board for a just learning approach. I should of took notes on what I was renting but this might of not been the best type of board to be using.

f00bar 03-26-2014 09:33 AM

We're in Mass so talking Mass, VT, NH. So more often than not hard packed as opposed to shear ice for the most part and for a while she'll be avoiding the steeps. She seemed to handle last weekend pretty well which was a day that didnt get above freezing after a 50 degree day. In fact a little bit humbling that after a run on the larger slope I went with my tail between my legs back to the bunny while she stayed on the mountain. Totally didn't see that happening :)

wrathfuldeity 03-26-2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f00bar (Post 1642433)
In fact a little bit humbling that after a run on the larger slope I went with my tail between my legs back to the bunny while she stayed on the mountain. Totally didn't see that happening :)

awww how cute...get use to it old man....my daughter has been out riding me for years...and she is just 19

I give serious consideration to a gnu ladies choice....it should give her lots of capacity to progress into an advanced level before needing another board...sounds like she will be picking it up fast.

EatRideSleep 03-26-2014 11:05 AM

What's her personality? Is she more of an aggressive/determined type or one who'd rather easy fun?

Reason I ask is because I personally feel camber is the best profile on which to learn, and camber is a great option for the conditions you ride. But camber can be a bit of a strict taskmaster in that process :laugh: There are so many rockered/reverse "beginner-friendly" options out there and that's awesome as they're kinder in the learning process, thus encouraging beginners to stick with it and have fun.

I learned on a stiff regular camber and it kicked my ass fabulously. If I had a different personality type, I might've given up on learning. But in that task master-ass-kicking process, it made me step it up so as not to die haha. It sort of gives you the skills to deal.

I guess what I'm saying is imo I'd stay away from full reverse for starting off (unless she's an easy-fun personality). Maybe something cambered with lifted contact points? I think Capita has some with that sort of profile...it's the Birds of a Feather. It's a flex rating of 4, but I'm not sure if it's a "beginner" board. I haven't been on it.

Edit: wrath's suggestion of the Ladies Choice is solid.

f00bar 03-26-2014 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity (Post 1642649)
awww how cute...get use to it old man....my daughter has been out riding me for years...and she is just 19

I give serious consideration to a gnu ladies choice....it should give her lots of capacity to progress into an advanced level before needing another board...sounds like she will be picking it up fast.

Oh, I felt much better a few hours later when she was in on the couch groaning 'WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO ME???' along with the texts the next day from school on how she couldn't walk. That's the daughter I know and love, who still can't check the oil in her car and needs me :)

wrathfuldeity 03-26-2014 11:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Her toys...her problem...I have progressed to consultant and photog

her boyfriends got to be good for somethin

f00bar 03-26-2014 11:44 AM

Opinions on the K2 stuff like the Bright Light?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2