Now its my turn to ask... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Almost decided....last roundup!
162cm Lib Tech Skunk Ape MTX 1 9.09%
161.5 Lib Tech T.Rice MTX 4 36.36%
162cm TRS MTX 4 36.36%
159cm Skate Banana BTX 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Trace63

Default Now its my turn to ask...

Quick fact sheet : Im ~6'4", 215lbs, and have size 13 boots. I mostly freeride since it is my first real season but as my confidence grows, jumps and kickers are starting to look more appealing. My heart will always be with blasting down hills though. I really love my Rome Flag but I'm really "intrigued" by Lib Tech's boards. I ride on the East Coast so the magnetraction will be of GREAT advantage to me.
I was looking around at their boards, but they are either sold out everywhere or still REALLY expensive. So I pretty much lost hope. I don't need a board since money is tight and all, but I would mind having another shorter one for days that it gets really icy and I feel like switching up my ride. I wish I could get the full package with the BTX, but.....ahh just keep reading.

So this brings me to my point. I almost lost hope and then I found an amazing deal. Im still iffy if I should spend the $$, but for this price, it seems like a shame not to get the board. I found a site thats offering these boards:

Lib Tech TRS MTX ( ALL sizes 162,159,etc )- $300
Lib Tech T.Rice (161.5 or 164.5 MTX) - $300
Lib Tech Skunk Ape MTX (162cm) - $300

And for kicks Lib Tech Skate Banana BTX ( all sizes ) - $330

The price is almost too good to pass up. Realistically, I dont think 159cm is going to cut it for my weight, sadly. Im not even sure 161-162 would be enough? Id imagine so, and I would like a shorter board to throw around but I dont want to get killed on the mountain either.
Lastly, I think the Banana would be a noodle under my feet, so I dont think thats a reasonable option. And the TRS doesnt exactly have a very wide waist width.
SO! T.Rice or Skunk Ape? Im not thrilled 100% with the graphics of either, but next years models are horrible IMO. The Skunk Ape is SLIGHTLY nice IMO. But graphics are the least of my concerns. Which board would be better for me? Any significant differences? I'd probably be looking at the 162 Skunk or 161.5 T.Rice, since the 164.5 would barely make a difference when compared to my current setup.
Lastly, how much better would the BTX board be compared to the MTX decks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

wow your like my twin, same size almost to the pound, same height, same foot size haha...and im in your exact position...ive been looking at the GNU carbon high beam (or CHB) mtx, you might wanna check it out
rjattack19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Trace63

The site Im looking at has the CHB for $240
Old 02-22-2009, 08:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace63 View Post
The site Im looking at has the CHB for $240
im guessing your looking at sierra? last week when they had that 1 day sale it was going for 199. but yea you should check it out its flexible enough for park but it is quiet enough to still rip without chatter, plus it has the mtx which is perfect for the ice coast. and with the directional twin shape it floats on pow.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Trace63

Nope, not Sierra.

I dont really like the board myself, lol. Theres just something about owning a Lib Tech...
Old 02-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace63 View Post
Nope, not Sierra.

I dont really like the board myself, lol. Theres just something about owning a Lib Tech...

haha well cant say i didnt try
Old 02-22-2009, 10:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Trace63

Haha, thanks bro.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

the travis rice is suchhhhhh a sick deck. for 300!!!! i woulda got that if i didnt just buy one. the 161 is travis's go to backcountry jumper i believe, he carries all 4 of his around though i believe. unfortunately i agree with you on Lib Techs graphic choice, they pretty much all suck cept for the banana which is too basic to like or dislike...
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Trace63

Any more opinions please? i want to get one of these as soon as possible.
Any thoughts on the boards themselves? How about sizing for my weight? Will a 162cm be enough?
Old 02-23-2009, 05:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

do they all have wide options? I wasn't sure if the TRS or T. Rice were wide. The skunk ape is a real nice board for a guy with big feet, but I agree, the graphics are not for me.

I've heard that with MTX you can go with a smaller board so the 162 could be okay. Plus, you've got the flag for days when you want the bigger board for bombing the hill or hitting the deap powder.

At 6'4'' 200, I've ridden a 159 GNU Riders Choice BTX and thought it was pretty fun. Not as stable as my 167 GNU 11up, but the MTX was nice...carving was much easier.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote