Quick Review Burton Juice Wagon 163 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2014, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Quick Review Burton Juice Wagon 163

So last weekend here at blue mountain Ontario we go almost a foot of snow early Saturday morning, with temps below freezing so it was nice and fluffy, a real rarity for us here in the east.

I got out early and had a lot of fun on my Sherlock (bear with me, I will get to the juice wagon). Anyways, in the afternoon things got mounded up and cruddy, and the rocker part of the Sherlock got pretty bouncy; even in soft snow I find that the flying V boards bounce off the tops of the bumps rather than cutting through them. I've also concluded that while I might work a bit on riding switch from time to time I'm never going to get to be any good at it so the twin nature of the Sherlock is a bit wasted on me. So that's enough for me to buy another board, what the hell.

So at the end of the day last Saturday I was still basting in the glow of such nice conditions, and I ordered a 163 juice wagon from the folks at alternative 113 in Quebec, figuring that as a tapered, cambered board it would be good for soft snow (ideally powder) but the camber would help in less than ideal conditions. Got the board in the mail Friday, and today (Saturday) I took it out.

Conditions today were shit. Half an inch of scraped off ice shavings passing for show, with a rock hard base of ice below. Overnight temps were well below zero so everything was rock hard. In a few places there were chunky icy crap, and in a couple spots there were runs with mounds of hard, sort of cruddy snow.

The juice wagon did pretty well in these lousy conditions, had good edge hold, was quick edge to edge, pretty stable for the sort of stuff where you feel like at any minute you could lose an edge and go for a spin. When I could find some actual snow it was a fun ride very surfy on corn snow that was piled up here and there. Burton sends their boards out pretty sharp so that probably helped as well.

So I can't comment yet on whether its a good board for the powdery conditions it's designed for, but it performed well in icy east coast bullshit. It turns quickly, is fairly stiff, and has quite good edge hold.

I see a lot threads looking for board that are good in powder but also can handle crappy conditions, and the crc type boards are to my mind good in ideal conditions but fare poorly as things degrade, whereas this deck seems to be pretty good in the bad stuff, and I expect it will be fun when the snow is nice.

I think that this board could be a one board quiver type board for directional riders; it should be fun in soft snow and it deals well with bad snow conditions, not good for switch of course, due to taper and directional flex.

Matched up well with this year's genesis bindings as far as bindings go.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2014, 11:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I love mine. Killed it today in knee deep pow.

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/bur...ice-wagon.html
ridinbend is online now   Reply With Quote