Borealis Eco-Snowboards Crowdfunding - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 06:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Riq

Default Borealis Eco-Snowboards Crowdfunding

Hi there,

Quick message to let you know about the French brand Borealis Snowboards who had launched a crowdfunding campaign to produce its 2015 gear.

They offer great rewards to people who get involved:

- Splitboards and snowboards at exclusive early bird prices
- Free gifts (hoodies, t-shirts...)

The boards are made using materials such as bamboo, basalt fiber, FSC wood, eco-resin, recycled steel, water-based paint...

Check out their crowdfunding page:

Borealis Eco-Snowboards Initiative - Ulule

Thanks
Riq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 06:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Forgive me for being pessimistic, but why does a company that is already trading need crowd funding...???

There are quite a few small independent snowboard companies throughout the EU that make exactly what this guy is making, but don't need crowd funding, so while this guy might make great boards, crowd funding is a way for advance payment on products (which for a pre-existing company says to me bad money management) or because he is not selling a product and needs to try to fund after failing last year...

I may be wrong, and his boards may be great, but i don't think this is anyway for a company to fund there products, and especially for a company that is, lets face it, doing nothing different to others out there...

Although the prices do look like they are a lot cheaper than normal retail for his products, which also makes me think RED FLAG

I wonder if this will do well...

2012/13 114 days
2013/14 102 days

Rides

K2 Jibpan 153, K2 Fastplant 154, Ride DH2 158, Endeavour Vice 155, Signal OG 155, Lamar Word 154
Kevin137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Riq

Default Re: Kevin137

Hey Kevin,

Your comment does seem quite pessimistic indeed.

Please let me know which other company in the EU makes boards like Borealis. High-quality boards with eco-friendly materials (bio-resin, basalt/no fiberglass, bamboo, FSC wood, recycled steel...).

Borealis is a tiny company which needs funds to develop itself. Making new moulds, marketing, registration to snowboard events... all this has a cost.

Therefore, it seems that crowdfunding is a good solution, beneficial to all
Old 03-31-2014, 07:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Custom snowboards : Made to measure snowboards by Windlip

And yes i am pessimistic, not that i don't use crowd funding websites, i have purchased dozens of items through them, but normally as an early adopter of tech, and certainly never from an established company...

The only plus side i see right about now is the price, which does give a discount on next years models, but only if i pay now...

As for other companies, 1st and foremost snowboarding is flooded with companies making boards, if you really have a marketable product that people will buy, then it will sell... Which brings me back to the established company that needs crowd funding...

I do hope that the company doesn't fail, but if this is the only way to fund year on year, then it doesn't bode well in my mind...

2012/13 114 days
2013/14 102 days

Rides

K2 Jibpan 153, K2 Fastplant 154, Ride DH2 158, Endeavour Vice 155, Signal OG 155, Lamar Word 154
Old 03-31-2014, 07:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Riq

Hey Kevin,

Borealis isn't really an established company. It was create last year and still needs support to evolve as a brand.

Poeple need to know about a given brand before they can buy their products. Even if Borealis makes good boards, this is not enough to sell boards. The brand needs to exist in people's minds.

How is Windlip as eco-friendy? They use fiberglass, epoxy and thick glossy coating.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, its always good to read feeback from people.

Best
Old 03-31-2014, 07:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I would point out that Eco Friendly is also not just about the material used, but being Carbon Neutral, getting power from renewable energy etc...

Lots of claims nowadays about eco friendly boards. It is a marketing ploy for most companies, and can never really be proved as any better for the environment than any other manufacturer...

But as i said, if you want to pay now, and get in 6 months for that type of board it does look inviting...!

2012/13 114 days
2013/14 102 days

Rides

Old 03-31-2014, 07:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Riq

Hey Kevin,

I get your point and I agree that often, eco-friendly is used for marketing.
I think that using more sustainable materials to make snowboards is the right path to take. A lot of people have tested Borealis snowboards and I think it can be exciting for "fans" to get involved and support a brand that they like (and it allow them to get discounts).

I think it's mostly positive
Old 03-31-2014, 07:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

I like the looks and shapes of the boards, but I want to ride one! With that said, your rewards seem to definitely be on the favorable side. I can pay 61chf and get a hoodie, t-shirt, and more. I can't even get a hoodie in a shop for that price.

Load up the van with interns and send them on a demo safari around the Alps next season. Good luck!
Tatanka Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Pessimistic? I would say that at this point, you're actually pretty lucky that you haven't received a full on napalm flaming. With only a 5 post history here, all of which are about hawking your brand? This forum usually reacts quite negatively to such tactics.

Having said that, whether or not you are making "legit" boards. The type that real, experienced boarders might be interested in, and not just some "fad" gimmick, or "johnny come lately" tech imitator? You are here asking for our support for your company without having contributed anything tangible to this community.

...again, not something that is generally well received here!

I would suggest you do some research and take a look at what some of the other snowboard gear/service related companies who are active here. See what they have contributed to this forum, i. e. WiredSport, Union, Snowboardaddiction.com, etc. and maybe offer something to this community beyond the opportunity to pay up front for a board like any other crowd funding participant.

Jus' sayin'!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Eco friendly is a marketing ploy. Also judging by what I read on the tech these boards are made in 1 of 2 factories and are nothing more than catalog brands slapped together with a green story to sell. If you're crowd sourcing like this you truly aren't designing the equipment yourself. So which factory is it?

Also most of the "eco" crap that's listed isn't that much better of a ride and is in fact just green washing. Next you'll tell us the boards are 100% recyclable.