Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Is Waist Width a Myth?????? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/136929-waist-width-myth.html)

Luvmustycarpet1 03-31-2014 09:20 AM

Is Waist Width a Myth??????

im trying to figure if waist width is A myth or not because my buddy who is 6'1 175lbs size 12 boot rides a 153cm Gnu Space case that has i think a 25cm width with M/L Union Asadachi bindings and does not have a problem with any type of drag . clearly if you are going by the book that boards width is way too small for his size even his bindings are small ..even with myself im also a size 12boot and have a board with a 25.5cm waist where i have read that is good for boot sizes 9.5-10.5 i have no problems with any type of drag or any problems turning my board.. so is this a myth??? or people really do have problems with toe drag ??? :dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

spino 03-31-2014 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luvmustycarpet1 (Post 1653585)
im trying to figure if waist width is A myth or not because my buddy who is 6'1 175lbs size 12 boot rides a 153cm Gnu Space case that has i think a 25cm width with M/L Union Asadachi bindings and does not have a problem with any type of drag . clearly if you are going by the book that boards width is way too small for his size even his bindings are small ..even with myself im also a size 12boot and have a board with a 25.5cm waist where i have read that is good for boot sizes 9.5-10.5 i have no problems with any type of drag or any problems turning my board.. so is this a myth??? or people really do have problems with toe drag ??? :dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

in itself it is, i think.
many other variables in the equation:
- sidecut
- stance width/angles
- boots footprints...

Luvmustycarpet1 03-31-2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spino (Post 1653593)
in itself it is, i think.
many other variables in the equation:
- sidecut
- stance width/angles
- boots footprints...

i agree that those variables will come into play but when its all pretty close but for a dude that is 6'1 with a size 12 boot riding on a small width board with m/l bindings which i think is a drastic difference in sizes ...i think that those variables will have a bigger role like with some like myself on a mid wide board being a size 12 n riding a width of 25.5 rather then his which is a much bigger difference

speedjason 03-31-2014 10:23 AM

depending on a lot of things like snow, riding style, angles of the bindings.

redlude97 03-31-2014 10:28 AM

Toe drag really is only an issue if you ride powder or carve. Your friend probably doesn't do a lot of either which is why it isn't an issue

twowheeled 03-31-2014 11:43 AM

yea.. i'm on a 9 boot M bindings and I'm dragging heel cup on a 25.5cm width board. It all depends how hard you carve, I don't ever drag occasionally in soft snow and laying trenches in the groomers.

ryannorthcott 03-31-2014 03:45 PM

i have size 11s and a 260mm width board and if i really lean into a carve my toes will touch.. i have angles at +12, -9.

I am quite conflicted because the board i am looking at has a 255mm width, and without having tested very many narrower boards i am uncertain as to how i will fare

ETM 03-31-2014 04:30 PM

Waist width is critical, actually its not, the width at the inserts is critical.
The waist width is a product of width at inserts x sidecut radius. If you are looking for the widest board choose a wide waist width with a short eadius sidecut. This will provide maximum width at the inserts.
A board that is too wide is hard work to ride

booron 03-31-2014 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlude97 (Post 1653833)
Toe drag really is only an issue if you ride powder or carve. Your friend probably doesn't do a lot of either which is why it isn't an issue

Or when you ride steeps...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETM (Post 1654521)
Waist width is critical, actually its not, the width at the inserts is critical.
The waist width is a product of width at inserts x sidecut radius. If you are looking for the widest board choose a wide waist width with a short eadius sidecut. This will provide maximum width at the inserts.
A board that is too wide is hard work to ride

Yep. Oddly enough, I've got a new Skunk Apes which despite the marketing is actually slightly narrower than the average wide board at the nose/tail. I was very worried about this, but there is so much anecdotal evidence of guys with 14/15 feet having no problems that I bit. I've not booted out on this thing yet, and I've been trying to figure out why. I'm kind of thinking it has something to do with the stiffness combined with the camber profile: i.e., that middle rocker really digs in and turns before the camber bits at the inserts lay down keeping your toes out of the snow...to a certain degree comparable to my old board at least. Again, hypothesis in progress.

poutanen 03-31-2014 10:41 PM

How can "waist width" be a myth? If it were 10 cm, would you have toe drag issues? Yes...

Why don't hardbooters use ~25 cm wide boards? Because their binding angles are in the 40-60 degree range.

I had toe drag with size 10 Shaun Palmers on a 24.5 cm wide Kemper Freestyle.

One of the nice things about the EST/ICS/Channel systems is that you can perfectly centre the boot over the board, so you've got equal maximum heel and toe side angles for the least about of drag possible.