Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Burton Feather vs Social (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/137065-burton-feather-vs-social.html)

f00bar 04-01-2014 01:22 PM

Burton Feather vs Social

This is for a beginner. I was leaning towards the feather but saw a really good deal on a Social. For whatever reason it's tough to find anything more than the standard 30% off msrp on the feathers at the moment, but there are tons of them available.

Is the social more a park board? East Coast so mostly groomers. She'll only be going about a half dozen times a year so even if she wanted she wouldn't be in the parks anytime soon. If the feather is really going to noticeably help her progress I'd go for that.

The social probably saves me about $40, so it's not a big deal, though all things being equal I think the social a nicer looking board.

Lamps 04-01-2014 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f00bar (Post 1656233)
This is for a beginner. I was leaning towards the feather but saw a really good deal on a Social. For whatever reason it's tough to find anything more than the standard 30% off msrp on the feathers at the moment, but there are tons of them available.

Is the social more a park board? East Coast so mostly groomers. She'll only be going about a half dozen times a year so even if she wanted she wouldn't be in the parks anytime soon. If the feather is really going to noticeably help her progress I'd go for that.

The social probably saves me about $40, so it's not a big deal, though all things being equal I think the social a nicer looking board.

I'm a dude but I'm pretty sure that for a beginner those boards will be equivalent, and for an occasional rider it will be pretty much the same experience, both are soft, rockered boards with edges shaped and tuned to minimize catching.

consider used as well, women's beginner boards don't get hucked off cliffs; they're typically lightly used.

f00bar 04-01-2014 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamps (Post 1657161)
I'm a dude but I'm pretty sure that for a beginner those boards will be equivalent, and for an occasional rider it will be pretty much the same experience, both are soft, rockered boards with edges shaped and tuned to minimize catching.

consider used as well, women's beginner boards don't get hucked off cliffs; they're typically lightly used.

Cool, think I'll grab the Social. Earliest ever xmas shopping for me! She reminded me that about 6 years ago just before we both kinda quit skiing that I told her if she mastered something, forget what, I'd buy her new skis, up until then it's always been used. So she's kind of cashing in that ticket now. Which is ok, new beginner boards are cheaper than skis.