Kids Board??? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kids Board???

Hello, I'm looking for a board for my 9 year old son for next year and would like some advice. This was his second season riding and he is progressing pretty fast. He likes buttering hitting fun boxes and playing in the half pipe. He is able to do board slides, nose slides, ride switch, and just barely air out of the mini pipe.

He has been riding a 110 burton chopper this year. Its a little on the small side but he does good on it. He is at 76 pounds and I am thinking maybe of getting him a 120 for next season. Now one of the things i'm not so sure about, Is a Burton chopper in the 120 size a good board for him. Some reason I think the chopper boards are more begginer oriented then say a gnu mini danny kass? Just wanted to here what boards you guys recommend and what you think of a Burton chopper for him compared to the little more expensive kids boards. I am pretty sure next year he will advance quite a bit.

thanks for your reply's
rcboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 03:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboxer View Post
Hello, I'm looking for a board for my 9 year old son for next year and would like some advice. This was his second season riding and he is progressing pretty fast. He likes buttering hitting fun boxes and playing in the half pipe. He is able to do board slides, nose slides, ride switch, and just barely air out of the mini pipe.

He has been riding a 110 burton chopper this year. Its a little on the small side but he does good on it. He is at 76 pounds and I am thinking maybe of getting him a 120 for next season. Now one of the things i'm not so sure about, Is a Burton chopper in the 120 size a good board for him. Some reason I think the chopper boards are more begginer oriented then say a gnu mini danny kass? Just wanted to here what boards you guys recommend and what you think of a Burton chopper for him compared to the little more expensive kids boards. I am pretty sure next year he will advance quite a bit.

thanks for your reply's
I'd imagine he's ready for a new board. But I will say this, the Dick's around here has 130 Monster Choppers on clearance for $100, and every few months they run a sale where anything with a price ending in .97 is half off. I scored my sons 120 chopper for $50 still wrapped during peak season, and I know at least my local dicks has about 3 130s (orange monster from 2012) as of last week. As much as I love supporting the local guys this was less than half what they wanted for the board.

My son is 9, first year and I'm guessing one more season out of the chopper before I move him up. Oh, and my son is 60lbs on a 120 chopper, a smidge under weight for the size but he handles it just fine.
f00bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have to say, i would shop around, prices vary so much, we went from K2 Grom Pack being a 110cm last season to another 110cm for this season...

So what we ended up with was a Ride Lowride, now remembering i bought in the UK, we picked it up with Ride bindings for 79 we also picked up the K2 Grom Pack 120cm for 120 simply for powder days, but the difference is chalk and cheese.

The ride is about as playful as it gets in the park for a kid, and i would highly recommend it, not sure what prices you could find, but i came up with one for the board in the USA.

But as i say, it really is a much better board than the K2 which is very similar to the Burton Chopper when i compared...

Ride 2013 Lowride 120 cm Boys Snowboard

2012/13 114 days
2013/14 102 days

Rides

K2 Jibpan 153, K2 Fastplant 154, Ride DH2 158, Endeavour Vice 155, Signal OG 155, Lamar Word 154
Kevin137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

If he's 76lbs now, I would get him a 130cm instead. 120cm chopper maxes out at 85lbs and I would think he'll be near that come next winter.

I'm going through a similar process with my 8 year old son who is 64lbs. He's been riding the 110 Toy Story chopper for past two years. I am on a look out for a 120cm board thinking my son will be around 70-72lbs by next season.
snowman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

my son is 10 and just under 65lbs he tears it up with a super hero 130
If he is doing the boxes and stuff I would say you are good to go with 130
or bigger. Most likely he will outgrow anything smaller quickly
larrytbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboxer View Post

thanks for your reply's
I'm a firm believer that for kids that are just starting out you should get them on boards that are at the short end of the range, and I often jump into these kids threads disagreeing with people who their kid go on about how their kids weighs 50 lbs and learned just fine on a cambered 135 they borrowed from their older brother, blah blah blah.

However if your kid is a decent rider already then you can go towards the upper end of the range in both weight and board quality. He's almost certainly beyond the chopper, in the burton line it's time for the custom smalls if he's a park/freeride sort of kid, and consider the ProTest from burton if he's a speed demon.

The custom smalls is Flying V in profile, so still pretty friendly in terms of catchiness so it won't be that tricky for him, lots of fun in the park.

If he's 76 lbs I would go either 125 cm in the custom smalls or 130 cms, which would give him a bit of room to grow, more likely 130.

For comparison I've got two kids who learned 3 years ago and they're on the hill about 40 days a year. My older kid is a 12 year old, 100 lbs, riding a 134 cm girls version of the custom smalls (feelgood smalls), which is a flying V shape, she's a good enough rider to get an instructor level but too young for it. I found a burton ProTest on sale and bought it for her - it's a stiffer deck, cambered, and she hated it, couldn't do presses and spins etc like she could with the flying V. Her sister, 9 years old and 62 lbs jumped on it, and loves it; she's not into tricks but has a more carvy style, and the Protest works for her.

Your kid sounds like a park kid so I'd say custom smalls. If he turns into speed demon consider the ProTest.

Last edited by Lamps; 04-01-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote