Rocker or Camber? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 06:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rocker or Camber?

Hey! I plan on buying a new board for the season in june.. I can't choose between a rocker or a camber board.
I have been snowboarding for 3-4 years, i like to cruise around, doing the side jumps, hit some bigger ones in the park, ride the boxes, butters on the ground, sometimes go fast, want to learn to rail also..

I am not doing the biggest jumps, but want to go bigger with the time..

Anyone now what type of board that can suit me?
Cavalinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

ah if only life was that simple. add to those two choices flat cambers, rocker-camber-rockers, camber-rocker-cambers, TBTs, flying Vs and all the rest of their friends. personally I like to stick with flat cambers, since I strongly believe in voluntary simplicity.

other than that there's two things I can recomend:

1. look up the event calendars of your local hills and circle the demo days. go try all sorts of stuff out and see which you prefer

2. use the search tool on this forum (or just google it if you prefer)
td.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just went through this dilemma, been riding camber for over 15 years and just took the plunge into RC hybrid (Never Summer Proto), my wife has been riding (snowboards) similar amount of time and just got into RC hybrid also (Lib TRS), she was not liking it for first few days but got used to it after that and now likes it, I got used to mine pretty fast and liked it but I still scratch my head over the need for RC, I still need to ride the same (and perhaps riding camber has got me into good habbits) but I would never catch edges on that so don't get much benefit other than perhaps a bit better float in pow (which is rare back home anyhow).
All I would say if you have been riding camber for a few years, there is no need to jump into RC unless there is a kick ass board that you like that has that profile then go for it.
I definitely personally would not get onto full rocker myself, but if your real keen on pow deck or loose freestyle deck maybe you should look at that?
All I guess I'm saying is if you can find a camber board that is kick ass, then I would just go for that. Overall there are negatives to Rocker and RC but assuming you can ride a board properly there are no negatives to Camber, unless your deep in pow pow.
I will definitely consider camber again for my next board. Keen to see if things go the way of the NS ripsaw in the next year or two, with large camber equal to the rocker, to give a stable base, that seems like a better way forward to me than the teeter totter approach most manufacturers use currently.
Just my 2 cents anyway, different for everyone I guess.
NZRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

I switched from a camber board to rocker this year and could not have been happier. The playfulness of my blacklist compared to my camber is untouchable. It's a preference though and I'd advise testing them out. The transition was also seamless.
DiggerXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=NZRide;1656681]
I still need to ride the same (and perhaps riding camber has got me into good habbits) but I would never catch edges on that so don't get much benefit other than perhaps a bit better float in pow (which is rare back home anyhow).

^
+1
tonicusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Many many years on camber boards, made the switch to rocker flat rocker this year. The rocker on the tips is nice for butters and pow. The flat camber is good for carves and slides. I stayed away from anything with rocker under feet because I like a tight/responsive ride.
thatkidwho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Start here:

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...g-between.html
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

This wont be helpful in terms of affirming a choice for you. But...

If you feel like adding another shape you can look at the Jones Aviator which is going to be more of a camber board with beveled contact points. All the greatness that is camber with a nice medium between the way rocker/hybrid/lifted(some) feels and traditional camber.

Basically you'll still catch and edge and eat shit if you mess up. However, you get a get out of jail free card from time to time
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.
binarypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hm thanks guys.. Which type is easier to nail landings with? and which one is more stable at high speed?
Cavalinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Generally: flat or traditional camber. Rocker places a bump under foot creating a pivot point
thatkidwho is online now   Reply With Quote