Rome Mod rocker vs. Jones Mountain Twin vs. Endeavor Live - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rome Mod rocker vs. Jones Mountain Twin vs. Endeavor Live

Well, it's the end of the year and I am in a bit of a quandary. I've narrowed it down to these three decks. I am an aggressive all-mountain freestyle rider. I venture into the park for the M/L jump lines (not XL unless I'm feeling saucy) but do not jib. I venture off-piste quite a bit and also hike some in-bounds slack country when I have the chance. I also want a board with good grip on hardpack/icy conditions and one that will rail turns with ease. I am currently on a 2011 K2 Turbo Dream which I love, but the thing is on its last legs and is quite dinged up. So I am after something like the TD, but with better edge hold and much more pop. As far as cost I can get each one at a good price so I'm not worried, I just want to get the best board for me. I am 6'1, 170 lbs size 11 boots.

Jones - the 158W is the perfect size for me, I like the set-back twin design as well as the mellow magnetraction as I do ride icy conditions somewhat often. I can get down with JJ and the eco-friendly initiatives and I can get this board at the lowest price. Only concern would be is it too soft to handle hard charging and carving?

Rome - I like that it won the good wood award, and seems to be well received every where I look. Also like that it is on the lighter side of things. I don't have a huge amount of strength, which is why I am staying away from the heavier mervins as I prefer something lighter. Cons, the board is the most expensive of the bunch and I am concerned it may be too stiff for playing around.

Endeavor - Don't know much about this one except that they have it at a local shop for fairly cheap and the sales guy recommended it. Canadian brand (but made in china), basic research on the website says it would fit my riding profile and appears to have a similar rocker profile to the Jones.

Basically I'm hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has owned/ridden these boards and can help point me in the right direction..

Thanks!

Last edited by ryannorthcott; 04-02-2014 at 03:41 PM.
ryannorthcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2014, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You're in trouble, may need a coin flip LOL
Which profiles have you ridden and like?

Maybe narrow it down by:
Jones = magnetraction
Live = no magne, it's definitely stiff enough for what you said.
Rome = flat camber

That Rocker/flat/rocker is really nice. Versatile and floats a lot.

I have the Live and really like it, excellent quality and awesome aggressive ride good for all around; so the Jones should be pretty similar except with Magnetraction, which i don't care about, cause if it's icy i stay home. Oh BTW i'm 170lbs size 11boots and ride the Live 159cm. It's def no "jib" board...

Where is Rome made? I think Jones is Austria.

Last edited by F1EA; 04-02-2014 at 06:22 PM.
F1EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply, the board I am on now is flat between bindings and then rocketed, so similar to the rome. I like this profile except it doesn't have a lot of pop, thus going with something with camber between bindings and/or carbon. I am leaning towards the jones because of magnetraction and cost right now.. Rome I think made in USA.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Oh if you want more pop then go for RCR.

The Live has 2 carbon stringers and 5mm camber which extend past the inserts. Jones i'm not sure how much carbon and camber... but if ice is an issue get the Mtn Twin for sure.

I really like RCR for all around. Flat's good for pow, cause you don't really need much 'pop' much in pow... most of the energy transfer gets dampened by the soft pack anyways.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Alright, well I was leaning towards the mountain twin and my local jones shop just dropped all 2013 boards to 50% off! Called on the off chance they have it in 158w, they didn't but I snagged the last 160, shouldn't make too much of a difference, my first big boy board was a 160 cambered.
Initial impressions: very nice, minimalistic board, I like the top sheet film so you can see through to the wood, and the brian iguchi graphics are simple but look sweet. Feels about as stiff as my turbo dream, which is good, but i can boost ollies and nollies about twice as high, sweet! I'm taking it out to the hill weekend after next so i will compose a full review at that point. only small issue is that it is heavier than the TD, not by a huge amount and is definitely lighter than my friends t. rice, but it is noticeable.
got it for $275 so worse comes to worse and i hate it, i can sling it locally for about the same price i reckon.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Wow that's a great deal!

Worst case, take a $50 loss and consider it the price of trying an interesting profile

I dont like magne that much... havent tried it on RCR but i guess it will only have an adverse effect on pow (sometimes if you carve too aggressively and it's deep-ish, your sides will sort of catch a bit)... probably not a big deal and considering how good it will make it on icy... probably worth it.

RCR is the bomb.

Last edited by F1EA; 04-03-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yea to be honest i am not a huge fan of full magnetraction, it's just too grippy in situations you don't need it. This deck has 'mellow magnetraction', which is barely noticeable compared to my GFs b-pro, so I'm hoping it offers the best of both worlds... we shall see!
Old 04-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

hey ryannorthcott, any updates on how your getting on with the mountain twin compared to the turbo dream?

i've also been thinking of upgrading my 2012 turbo dream to a mountain twin. i like the turbo dream for pretty much everything, especially powder, but like you i want more pop and something with better edge hold on harder snow, always found the turbo dream quite washy when carving on hardpack.

how does the mountain twin compare for powder riding? what about buttering/messing about at slower speed?
fruitylooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryannorthcott View Post
Yea to be honest i am not a huge fan of full magnetraction, it's just too grippy in situations you don't need it. This deck has 'mellow magnetraction', which is barely noticeable compared to my GFs b-pro, so I'm hoping it offers the best of both worlds... we shall see!
Don't know if this is too late but I have this years Mountain Twin and the Mag isn't noticeable unless you are on ice. Its not tremendously grippy. It floats really well, Pop is above average but nothing to write home about. I love it.
Bamfboardman is offline   Reply With Quote