Proto HDX or Custom Flying V - too much board for a learner? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 04:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Proto HDX or Custom Flying V - too much board for a learner?

I grew up ski racing, and after I stopped competing I got really bored with it and basically never went anymore.

So last season I bought a 10,000 year old Simms off craigslist, and started to learn how to ride with the help of one of my snowboard instructor buddies. I've been loving it! I'm picking it up pretty quickly, groomers are no problem (usually) and I'm working on getting through moguls and trees without killing myself. I fall a lot, which is fine with me, I enjoy learning every time I go up. I'll probably not do too much in the park, but I'm learning there too. It's fair to say I'm not the best rider in the world, but now its definitely time for a real board.

I'm 6'4, 215lbs. My boots are 11.5 Vans V66. I live in Colorado, so I need something that can handle any conditions, as we get changing conditions every day (or hour) from ice to powder. I'll also only have one board (for now).

I don't know much about snowboards, other that now is probably the time to buy them. After doing some research, I'm thinking an all mountain board like the NS Proto HDX (Made in CO) or Burton Custom Flying V would work for me. Is that going to be too much board for me to handle? They seem to be geared toward more advanced riders, but I also want something I can 'grow in to.'

Thoughts? Other boards to consider? I appreciate any input at all! Thanks!
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Nah, I don't think so.

If you're riding an old Sims right now, I'm sure it's traditional camber and both of those alternative camber boards should be an easier ride than an old traditional cambered stick. The Proto can be a bit of a challenging ride compared to other alternative cambered boards, but not compared to an old cambered stick.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply! What makes The Proto more challenging? I was leaning toward the 160 HDX (wide), do I really need the wide board for just a half size over the recommended?
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You don't need a wide for 11.5 boots. I have the same size and never experience any toe or heel drag. Anything not camber will be easier to turn and ride in comparison to what your riding now.
ridinbend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would say consider the 163 HDX as well at your weight, I ride a 157 regular Proto HD at 170lbs and if I had 45lbs more I would want quite a bit more board.

The 160 will work fine too but if you want to ride groomers at a fair speed and some pow the 163 will perform better.

160 a little more playful and easier to throw around, the 163 a little more stable a little more float and a little more board to support your weight so it won't feel too soft.

Any board will feel much softer the bigger you are.

Its personal preference, but I like the flex in the proto at my weight on the 157. If I were on a shorter deck or weighed more it would be too soft for more technical riding (proper carving at speed, steeper terrain with trees etc).

You might not need those capabilities now, but this board could easily last you quite a few seasons, they are solidly built.

If you have reduced footprint boots you should be OK with a regular width 160. It will be tight though.

Don't worry its not a difficult board to ride, may take some adjusting but you will be fine.

Last edited by dreampow; 04-02-2014 at 05:39 PM.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreampow View Post
I would say consider the 163 HDX as well at your weight, I ride a 157 regular Proto HD at 170lbs and if I had 45lbs more I would want quite a bit more board.
That is funny...I'm 215 lbs and I ride a 157 Proto CT. I guess I like softer boards!
d2cycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2cycles View Post
That is funny...I'm 215 lbs and I ride a 157 Proto CT. I guess I like softer boards!
Yea but also look at his avatar... that's a lotta pow.
F1EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

I think as a beginner go with manufactures suggestion, that will give you true feel of how they want board to feel and perform. I ride a 158 antler (flying v) despite being 85kg to play around on the mountain, if I am charging a bit harder I grab the stiff camber 159cm.

I ride the antler which is flying v profile and it rides just fine and it would not inhibit you at all as a beginner. Nice balance between stability and fun.
AntipodeanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntipodeanSam View Post
I think as a beginner go with manufactures suggestion, that will give you true feel of how they want board to feel and perform. I ride a 158 antler (flying v) despite being 85kg to play around on the mountain, if I am charging a bit harder I grab the stiff camber 159cm.

I ride the antler which is flying v profile and it rides just fine and it would not inhibit you at all as a beginner. Nice balance between stability and fun.
Agree. Flying V will be very rider friendly.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Custom flying V = excellent all mountain begginer board.
F1EA is offline   Reply With Quote