Difference between quality of bindings? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Patrickadizzle

Default Difference between quality of bindings?

Hi.

I'm just trying to get a feel for what makes bindings different from each other..

For example, I have a GNU CHB, and K2 Indy bindings I got used only once for 50 bucks. The bindings have been good, but I'm wondering, what difference would I see if I upgraded my bindings to say something like, Flow M9's?

Is it just weight? flexibility? Would I notice a difference right away?

Or would a different, better boot make more of a difference. I wear value boots, K2 pulse, and I haven't had really any problems with them I guess, but I'm just curious as to what is most noticeable.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2009, 03:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Most people are going to tell you that, a) boots are the most important. And they are right, because of the extra comfort level it will bring. But if you are comfortable in the boots you have now, I don't see a pressing need to change them. As far as bindings go, it's a matter of better materials and added comfort for the most part. Since the Indy's are a lower end binding, and a strap in style, I don't think you can compare it to the Flow's since they use a different system. There are so many variables that factor into it, that there is no one answer to what makes it "different". I guess we would have to know what you are looking for in your ride, and what kind of riding you want to do.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Patrickadizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaOTiKM3 View Post
Most people are going to tell you that, a) boots are the most important. And they are right, because of the extra comfort level it will bring. But if you are comfortable in the boots you have now, I don't see a pressing need to change them. As far as bindings go, it's a matter of better materials and added comfort for the most part. Since the Indy's are a lower end binding, and a strap in style, I don't think you can compare it to the Flow's since they use a different system. There are so many variables that factor into it, that there is no one answer to what makes it "different". I guess we would have to know what you are looking for in your ride, and what kind of riding you want to do.
Yeah that makes sense.

Basically like all mountain free ride, and I do the park as well. Weekend warrior here.

Kinda vague, but thats all we have on the ice coast Not like I will be doing any deep powder.

Also, do bindings have a return policy if you are unsatisfied with the product? For example, is it normal for someone to buy bindings to try them out for a weekend, and if for some reason they don't like them and aren't damaged, send them back and get a refund?

Also last question, metal > plastic for bindings?

I assume metal, but I don't know for sure.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

metal vs. plastic just depends. Most bindings aren't 100% metal if at all. For example, I have rome 390's and the heel cup is metal but the rest is plastic. Burton bindings are all plastic. Can't say one is better than the other.

I'm not familiar with your bindings but I'm sure the main difference will be comfort. The newer straps are padded much better and some use a toe cap instead of a strap which puts much less pressure on your foot, but gives as much, if not better support.

Comfort was 100% better when I switched from my old Salomon bindings to the Rome 390's. Plus they were way lighter.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
bildo16

from experience, all plastic bindings will be more flexible and feel sort of cheap compared to a metal heel cup binding. I ride Union Forces and probably always will, but the Rome's are a similar design and compare VERY well to them. Ive also ridden cartels which i despise for their cheap feel and their flex. I also like a toe strap to form over my toe and not be pre-formed as the Burtoms are.