Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Board Edge Damage - worth repairing or return? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/137322-board-edge-damage-worth-repairing-return.html)

kumimajava 04-04-2014 08:21 AM

Board Edge Damage - worth repairing or return?
 
I got a chance to buy a Jones Hovercraft 2010 at a good price (as mentioned in another thread), and in my curiosity jumped at it since I've never had a powder board before, and it is high time I acquire one :P The board arrived today, and it appears that one of the edges is mounted a bit off, about 1mm, and sticking out from the sidewall (pics below).

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...W_Problem4.jpg


http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...W_Problem3.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...W_Problem2.jpg


http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...W_Problem1.jpg


This is obviously a manufacturing defect, and the shop have acknowledged this, and have given me various options (besides return for a refund). One option is another 50% discount, if I keep the board & they suggested a small amount of p-tex between edge and board should 'seal' it from water ingression- the question is, whether the board is likely to ride ok after such a fix, or whether I'd need a base & edge grind... or is the edge likely to pull out entirely under minimal strain, since it has been mounted wrong. I presume that issues like this would be less likely with a more recent Jones board, but this is clearly a rather early specimen :(

Another option they offered was a swap for a 2014 Bataleon CamelToe, but i've not been able to find much info on this board on this forum or elsewhere.

So what would you recommend:

1) keep & fix, with discount (this essentially prices the board at $170 after all discounts)
2) swap for the CamelToe
3) return & go looking for a different board

Thanks for any advice forthcoming :)

ETM 04-04-2014 08:36 AM

Go the toe

Lamps 04-04-2014 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kumimajava (Post 1662090)
I got a chance to buy a Jones Hovercraft 2010 at a good price (as mentioned in another thread), and in my curiosity jumped at it since I've never had a powder board before, and it is high time I acquire one :P The board arrived today, and it appears that one of the edges is mounted a bit off, about 1mm, and sticking out from the sidewall (pics below).

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...W_Problem4.jpg


http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...W_Problem3.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...W_Problem2.jpg


http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...W_Problem1.jpg


This is obviously a manufacturing defect, and the shop have acknowledged this, and have given me various options (besides return for a refund). One option is another 50% discount, if I keep the board & they suggested a small amount of p-tex between edge and board should 'seal' it from water ingression- the question is, whether the board is likely to ride ok after such a fix, or whether I'd need a base & edge grind... or is the edge likely to pull out entirely under minimal strain, since it has been mounted wrong. I presume that issues like this would be less likely with a more recent Jones board, but this is clearly a rather early specimen :(

Another option they offered was a swap for a 2014 Bataleon CamelToe, but i've not been able to find much info on this board on this forum or elsewhere.

So what would you recommend:

1) keep & fix, with discount
2) swap for the CamelToe
3) return & go looking for a different board

Thanks for any advice forthcoming :)

Keep and fix, that's a great deal.

kumimajava 04-04-2014 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETM (Post 1662098)
Go the toe

:)

Have you ridden one ? If so - any impressions would be welcome - can't really find much about it online :(

The idea would be to have it as a pow/trees board - i'll be relocating from UK to Japan later in the year, so was thinking I could justify owning more than one board (this + something for more all-mountain/slope use )

ETM 04-04-2014 09:11 AM

Toe in jp = fun!
Jones snowboards build quality was disgraceful in 2010. Best off getting rid of that pos and swapping it for the 2014 toe.

Where in japan are you moving to?

kumimajava 04-04-2014 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETM (Post 1662161)
Toe in jp = fun!
Jones snowboards build quality was disgraceful in 2010. Best off getting rid of that pos and swapping it for the 2014 toe.

Where in japan are you moving to?

I'm moving to Tokyo (around Bunkyo/Ueno), so not that close to the hills, but apparently I can get to Yuzawa within 2h on the train, so that could be an option for the weekends :D If I manage to get a week/two off during the main season, would probably venture someplace further away - I'm sure you'll see me trawling these forums for recommendations closer to the time :)

Regarding the build quality - i'm getting the impression that even by the standards of the Tunisian factory, this is probably a 'monday specimen'. Am wondering if the edge is wonky like this, whether there are any other 'surprises' that I don't see... :unsure:

ETM 04-04-2014 09:27 AM

Yeah exactly my point.
Swap it for the 2014 model. Thats a no brainer.

You will be able to get the shink to iiyama next season which opens up a lot more options.

chomps1211 04-04-2014 10:04 AM

....just wunderin' if you are familiar with the graphics on the CT? Racy!! :dunno:

kumimajava 04-04-2014 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chomps1211 (Post 1662234)
....just wunderin' if you are familiar with the graphics on the CT? Racy!! :dunno:

I am aware of the 'racy' graphics, but the one they're offering for a swap is the 'standard' one with a plain red topsheet. Just as well - it might save me a lot of grief from the missus, don't think she'd particularly approve of the 'limited edition' one :dizzy:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2