my new FLOWS broke today - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
fossilX

Default my new FLOWS broke today

after only like 8-10 days my FLOW NXT AT cable broke, wondering if this is a common problem?

i think it actually kinda came loose from the housing vs. actually snapping in half

non-the-less REI has 1 left at a store 30 mins from me, they said just bring them in for the exchange, got lucky i didn't buy them online i guess and didn't have to wait weeks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2009, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
gamble_stars

dat sucks
i just hate da one piece power strap design
Old 02-23-2009, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

hmm hasnt happened to mine. i havent heard that once for the nxts actually..one model a few years ago did have a problem though
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
fossilX

I really hope this isn't a reccuring problem
Old 02-26-2009, 09:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
jrock5150

Does anybody have a good write up on replacing the whole cable with the back clip?

The threads in the adjustment nut on the back clip are messed up and will not adjust anymore. I got a replacement set of cables from a local shop, but thought I would give the forum a try first.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Defy

good luck with the fix
Old 02-27-2009, 07:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
davis

Wow. New Flows breaking, what a surprise.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
rutger1413

No advice on the screw mechanism, but for the cables all you have to do is unscrew them from the binding, cut one end (you may be able to uncrimp it, if so do that first), pull it through and thats it. Theres not much to it. I am not sure how you would get the other one through if it already has the end crimped/welded onto it. Without it just feed it through.

If your old cable still has the crimped end you may be able to re crimp it, then try putting some epoxy in it to hold it good. If you want it done right, find someone who welds to do a quick tack on it.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossilX View Post
after only like 8-10 days my FLOW NXT AT cable broke, wondering if this is a common problem?
Not common at all, otherwise we'd be hearing about it all the time. It sounds like you just got unlucky, and then lucky again you bought it from a licensed dealer that stands behind their products. EVERY single manufactured item has a certain percentage of defective products. Even rectangular iron bars can have unintentional defects. They try to nab this during QC and R&D, but things will slip through the cracks. It's not the presence of defects that determines quality, but the end ratio of good:defective that determines quality.

NXT's had a serious problem with the toe strap breaking a year or two ago, but they fixed that up and even made a special kit to replace the weak spots. All you had to do was give 'em a call and they sent one out, no questions asked.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
fossilX

I think that i had em binded to tight to my boot, and would have to really crank to get it to snap into place, so i think the constant pulling of the wire, eventually pulled it out of the housing, vs actually breaking

but with the replacement, i got em adjusted perfectly, so i dont think ill have the same problem, unless it is way down the road

and REI said you have a lifetime guarantee, 2,3,5 years down the road, if they break, bring em back for a full refund - can't beat that