Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Ladies! Ever ride a board that felt too big? Pls help! (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/137466-ladies-ever-ride-board-felt-too.html)

blooh 04-05-2014 02:24 PM

Ladies! Ever ride a board that felt too big? Pls help!

I'm hoping someone can relate and give some suggestions.

A little about me:
Intermediate rider (4th season, about 20 times a year, easy learner)
5'2", 120 lbs athletic build (broad shoulders muscular legs), 7 boot
Goofy, with a rather wide stance-16 inches from inside to inside binding (21 inches measuring from center to center binding).

I rode a Rome Lo-fi 146cm rocker till last year. It was a dream. Easy going, light and buttery. I wanted to charge a bit harder and have something with more edge control and bought the GNU ladies choice 148.5. I knew at the end of last year that this board was too much for me and unfortunately couldn't return a used board. I was sick to my stomach thinking how much I spent and that I didn't love it. It feels way too big. I can't throw it around like my lo-fi rocker. On moguls and other obstacles it feels too long and heavy to maneuver quickly. I suppose it would be great if I just wanted to simply cruise or hit large jumps. I feel like my board is riding me rather than me controlling and riding my board.

I like to ride all mountain with some speed, some tree riding, going off small ledges and natural jumps, some boxes and smallish jumps in the park.

Therefor, I think I need a board that is about 143cm and slightly softer than my GNU ladies choice. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I am seriously considering:
Never Summer Onyx (might be too soft?)
Never Summer Infinity (might be too much like my Ladies Choice from what a retailer told me)
Roxy Ollie pop
Salomon Gypsy

ryannorthcott 04-05-2014 03:35 PM

All I can tell you is that my significant other is the same build and experience level and feels the exact same way about her b-pro. She invested quite a lot in it and says she much prefers the feel of her old cambered burton feelgood, says the board isn't maneuverable in the same way, pretty much exactly what you described. She bought it because of the salesman and the graphic, but is looking at getting something else for next year. I know I'm not really offering advice, but it's interesting to see someone else in the same boat

wrathfuldeity 04-05-2014 05:00 PM

Keep it as your groomer blasting board and a deeper pow board....as you add some more weight and skills it will get better. Or you could unload the LC pretty easily.

neni 04-05-2014 07:04 PM

Same weight, bit taller. My general impression: fun boards for riding fast are not only longer but also stiffer, thus far more challenging/work in crud. It's stability vs. agility. I ended up having a quiver to have the right board for each condition. Good day groomer/pow (pure freeriding/carving, no park) boards are long n stiff (156-159), and got a small n softish 153 for crud n mogul resort days. Difference in how they ride in moguls is huge. The first ones are hard work, the latter one almost fun. But vice versa, on good groomers, the stiff/long ones are far more stable than the short/softer one. It's a trade off :)

lander91 04-06-2014 04:28 PM

I'm wondering if it might be less of the 2.5cm size difference and more the profile/flex difference between a park board and an all mountain board. I'm 125 lb, intermediate rider too, and ride a 143 rocker board for park and 151 flat-rocker for all mountain (getting a 152 camrock next season).

I definitely can't throw the 151 around like my park board, but having been lucky enough to demo a bunch of different profile boards earlier this year, I found way more difference in similar length boards that had different profiles and flex than I do in the 8cm difference between my two current boards. Just my two cents. :)

natalie 04-06-2014 05:41 PM

I am actually pretty close to your build. I've been riding about 30 times/year over the last 12 seasons so I'm fairly advanced. Heres my stats and boards

22 yo
5' 2''
115 pounds
GNU ladies park pickle 140cm
Lib Tech TRS 148 cm

I definitely can tell you that 148 is at the outer limit for the length of boards girls our size should be riding. I definitely cannot throw around my TRS like I can my GNU, but I dont need to since I bought the board for charging and stability at high speeds which is exactly what it does.

I originally bought my GNU for park and all-mountain. I also do basic park stuff, grabs, 50-50s, boardslides on any features I can find with only that board. I also go to mount bohemia which is like midwest backcountry because I love tree runs but the wide open runs ride like moguls when it gets tracked out. I rode my TRS (the long board) and it was pretty challenging to turn on a dime through the trees, moguls and chop because of the length and weight. But it was AWESOME in the pow.

I can't imagine trying to do park with a board that long as a female rider, I just don't have the muscle to pop and spin a board that big. Not that it can't be done. Basically what it comes down to is that your ladies choice is an awesome board for all-mountain, the longer the more stable, but is not exactly ideal for your park riding. I would either keep your board and get a park specific board (onyx, infinity, gypsy, forum spinster) and switch between the two (which is what I do), or ditch that board and get something that can do both reasonably well in a 143-144.

If you go any softer with the flex your going to sacrifice its all-mountain performance, the ladies choice is still a medium flex. All those boards you mentioned besides the ollie pop are definitely park oriented. Now that I've progressed with my TRS I get back on my softer, rockered GNU board and it feels a bit surfy and out of control at high speeds.

I also agree with lander91, your rome was a rocker which initiates turns really easily because theres less edge contact, but your GNU is gonna ride more aggressive and has some camber thrown in the mix so itl be harder to turn

Sorry for the long post! Hopefully something in there was helpful :)

blooh 04-06-2014 10:33 PM

thanks so much for all the feedback everyone!

Ryannorthcott-Thanks and glad to hear I'm not alone.

lander91-good point. I never thought about the profiles specifically. I will definitely consider that.

Natalie-thanks for confirming what I've been feeling. I almost bought the TRS instead of the Ladies Choice. It's funny because I have very muscular legs yet lack the weight and strength to really power my board. I've always been light on my feet, but not sure if that even makes sense in snowboarding. BTW, is the Ollie pop more all mountain freestyle?

I really feel like it's the length more than anything. Maybe I will stick with that middle of the road flex and just get a shorter board and sell one of my other two.

Thanks again!