Adjusting the highback angle - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
MAPster

Question Adjusting the highback angle

I can't really see how this could make a difference. I realize it is not hard to do, but can somebody explain to me the benefits? Its not like your boot is going to twist into position. If anything, I would think it would create discomfort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2009, 09:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seedy J

The first few days with my new setup, I rode with no forward lean. I had a lot of problems going heelside, couldn't carve, felt like I didn't have enough control, and fell a lot when changing from toe to heel edge. Next time out, I put some forward lean on the bindings. Problem completely solved.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
MAPster

Thanks Seedy, but I don't think I was clear enough. What I meant is rotating the high backs so they are aligned with the board.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I don't think rotating the high back is a must, but can be helpful depending on your stance angles and your style of riding. I don't rotate my bindings, but I also don't have much angle in my stance (9/-6).

Here's the reasons I understand rotating the high back can be helpful:

1. when you angle your bindings the highbacks aren't aligned with the heal edge of your board. When leaning into your heal edge you may not get the most response from your highback because it is not centered where you are leaning (i.e. directly towards the heal edge of the board). If you rotate, the highback will be aligned with the direction you are leaning. I hope this makes sense.

2. Another reason is when doing tail or nose grabs. When trying to lean forward or back to make the grab, the highback can prevent you from leaning directly over the center of your board. If you rotate, the highback is aligned with your heel edge which helps you move back and forth over your board easier.

All this doesn't matter much if your bindings are at much of an angle. But if you sent your bindings at 15/-15, I could see it making a difference.

Last edited by schmitty34; 02-23-2009 at 11:27 PM.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
MAPster

Thanks schmitty!