Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Base drying out...permanent damage? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/137586-base-drying-out-permanent-damage.html)

onitsukatiger 04-06-2014 04:54 PM

Base drying out...permanent damage?

3 Attachment(s)
So, I just bought a Jones MT 160 (2013-2014) recently, and I noticed its got "white" paper-thin streaks down the base of the board (lengthwise). I deduced this to be the base drying up. I'll have time within the next week to wax it up so I'll be doing that.

I was just curious if there is any permanent damage to the base. I've attached pictures to show how many white dashed lines there are, but I don't know whether that's serious or not.

I figure that it should be back to normal with a thick coat of wax for summer, because otherwise, boards being sold couldn't have more than a year/season shelf life in the shop (and that shelf life includes the time from production to shop shelf - in which the production date of the board could be several weeks from shipment, and distribution etc.), which probably isn't the case.

I am an advanced-expert rider, but this is my first snowboard I have owned. Previously I have only been able to do demo rentals. So I just want to learn more about taking care of my gear. I have read this informative thread http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...rd-repair.html.

However, he has one line "They say they wax a snowboard at the factory... but it's half assed at best. Not waxing it will quickly result in damage, ESPESCIALLY if it's a high quality base."

And that worries me, which is why I started this thread.

Esteban 04-06-2014 05:30 PM

That looks completely normal to me for a new board. The damage from not waxing occurs when actually riding the board unwaxed, not just sitting around. Although a good wax never hurts for storage.

theprocess 04-06-2014 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onitsukatiger (Post 1666386)
I am an advanced-expert rider, but this is my first snowboard I have owned.

:icon_scratch:

readimag 04-06-2014 05:34 PM

Board is trashed send it to me asap, if you ride it on the hill it will implode and cause a black hole destroying the world.

onitsukatiger 04-06-2014 05:36 PM

Due to my job, I have been constantly moving the last 9 years (US to Europe to Asia). The notices haven't been the timeliest, so I pretty much live out of a suitcase. It is tough to bring bulky things around when you don't know the size of your next housing arrangement (ie. Holland was a house, Hong Kong was a tiny apartment). I have learned to play it on the safe side and bring only the essentials. Thus, I rent demos when I ski at various locations around the world. Only now have I been back in the US for assignment, and it is a longer term period. I will not be travelling as much, so I thought now is a good time to get my own gear.

chomps1211 04-06-2014 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onitsukatiger (Post 1666458)
Due to my job, I have been constantly moving the last 9 years (US to Europe to Asia).

....I will not be travelling as much, so I thought now is a good time to get my own gear.

LOL! I have to admit, I thought you had to be trolling with that "Advanced, expert rider" shit and asking about a little gray on base of the board,.. but it sounds as though you explained your situ well! :eusa_clap:

I'm only laughing here cuz If you really are an expert rider, I can't ride for shit by comparison and I couldn't imagine ever getting any good on a board without ever having one of my own! :laugh:

....So, It's fine! Wax it, ride it, Enjoy it!!! You now get to experience the thrill of ownership and eventually destroying a board you can't just drop off and replace! ;)

:thumbsup:

d15 04-06-2014 06:34 PM

Quote:

So, I just bought a Jones MT 160 (2013-2014) recently, and I noticed its got "white" paper-thin streaks down the base of the board (lengthwise). I deduced this to be the base drying up. I'll have time within the next week to wax it up so I'll be doing that.

I was just curious if there is any permanent damage to the base. I've attached pictures to show how many white dashed lines there are, but I don't know whether that's serious or not.

I figure that it should be back to normal with a thick coat of wax for summer, because otherwise, boards being sold couldn't have more than a year/season shelf life in the shop (and that shelf life includes the time from production to shop shelf - in which the production date of the board could be several weeks from shipment, and distribution etc.), which probably isn't the case.

I am an advanced-expert rider, but this is my first snowboard I have owned. Previously I have only been able to do demo rentals. So I just want to learn more about taking care of my gear. I have read this informative thread http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...rd-repair.html.

However, he has one line "They say they wax a snowboard at the factory... but it's half assed at best. Not waxing it will quickly result in damage, ESPESCIALLY if it's a high quality base."

This is quite possibly the dumbest post I have ever seen.

I mean, really????

baldylox 04-07-2014 08:46 AM

Just wax it. It's fine. Congrats on owning a board!

Now that you're settling down, maybe buy a pint glass and stop drinking out of Dixie cups! :laugh:

baldylox 04-07-2014 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d15 (Post 1666538)
This is quite possibly the dumbest post I have ever seen.

I mean, really????

I guess you were born with intimate knowledge of p-tex....

tanscrazydaisy 04-07-2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

the board is fine. Factory wax jobs aren't that great. They tend to use the heated roller drums for waxing because they are efficient in a manufacturing environment.

Do a proper hot wax job and continue to do so. You can never wax the board too much.