Board sizing question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Defy

Red face Board sizing question

Quick question, im currently ~ 5'10 and ~250 lbs. This was my first season riding and i've been learning on a 08 Burton Hero that comes only up to my chin (at 5'10). It doesn't say on the board what size it is.

Is this board definitely too small because of my weight? I notice alot of people here recommend based on weight and i'm looking for some good advice as i'm planning on buying my own board soon.

I also want a board size that I hopefully wont grow out of, as I'm planning on being down to ~ 220 - 210 by next season.

Any advice would be great on board size! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2009, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
13rian

it depens on what ull be doin with the board(parkfreeride), what shoe size uv got(not all boards come in wide).. but ull def need a 156 for park and a 164 for freeride..
Old 02-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
13rian

for a freeride board ull need even bigger then 164, getting near 2 170 i think
Old 02-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Defy

Hm well since i'm still a beginning i'm guessing mostly freeride, maybe 1/3rd park. ~ Size 10/10.5 shoe, so I don't think i'll need a wide board.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
13rian

no u def wont need a wide board then.. im sayin a 166/168 freeride.. that should get ur lenght rite.. also,check the web, ders loads of charts for lenght.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Defy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13rian View Post
no u def wont need a wide board then.. im sayin a 166/168 freeride.. that should get ur lenght rite.. also,check the web, ders loads of charts for lenght.
Yeah i've looked at most charts, but most go off of height. Im guessing this burton I have is definitely nowhere near a 165.

Maybe also making it harder for me to learn? Since the board does like to wash out alot and become hard to control.

I've read that being too heavy on a shorter board can cause many problems =l
Old 02-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

A 156 would be at the limit if not over the limit if you're 220lbs. I'd probably consider a 159. For freeriding, a 164-167 should be good unless you're just looking to bomb down hills, in which case I'd go slightly bigger.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Defy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5R View Post
A 156 would be at the limit if not over the limit if you're 220lbs. I'd probably consider a 159. For freeriding, a 164-167 should be good unless you're just looking to bomb down hills, in which case I'd go slightly bigger.
So if i want to dip into the park a bit too I should stick to a smaller one? about a 164?
Old 02-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think a 164 would be a good compromise. Others can chime in if they think otherwise.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
blind311

it depends if you plan on losing some weight then dont buy a big board cause then when you lose weight it will be too big. im 195 5'11" and size shoe 11 i do freeride and park and i ride a 157 but the mc kink has a wide waist width of 25.9 but you wont have that problem since u r a size ten but i would go so big honestly i would wait till next season and see if you lose weight before you buy a board.plus once you start riding more you may either relize that you want to do park more or you dont.