Powder snowboard - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 08:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Powder snowboard

So all this talk about the awesomeness of a POW specific snowboard has me interested in purchasing one. I'm in Kansas City and end up driving to CO 5-8 times a season to ride. I only have room for a couple boards so the POW deck needs to be good enough to enjoy the fresh fun morning time and then also the tracked out afternoon. I prefer something that I can ride switch.

I have a 159 BG and a 161 Cobra...so more POW specific than those. I'm 5'10" and 215 lbs with size 11 boot.

I've been eyeing the Salomon Sick Stick or Powder Snake and Capita Charlie Slasher. Any thoughts or recommendations?

I have Smokin, NS, K2, Lib Tech and GNU in my stable currently...I'd prefer a different brand because I like trying new things.

Thanks in advance.
d2cycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

I think you will find it a challenge to find a deck that is "POW specific" that will allow you to comfortably ride switch. Most decks that qualify as POW specific will have some level of setback and possibly some taper, so switch becomes uncomfortable.

POW Specific: What you have been eyeing are all fine choices.

Other to consider that I enjoy: YES PYL , Burton Barracuda

On order for next year: Endeavor Next, Nidecker Megalight
Old 04-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Others to consider:

burton Sherlock - powder oriented twin, best in soft snow and powder, very surfy, really fun. Doesn't like ice much, and can be a bit squirrely in the flats on hardpack due to a pretty pronounced rocker in the middle.

burton juice wagon - cambered, tapered, with setback, handles less than ideal conditions well - designed for powder, I can't speak to that aspect yet, just got mine. Directional board, not great when ridden switch.

Might be hard to find what you are looking for - twin boards that are powder oriented tend to be rockered to at least some degree, which will be a detriment when conditions aren't ideal, while cambered boards for powder tend to be tapered and set back, and the camber handles the crud etc better. So you may have to choose between riding switch and handling marginal conditions.

Last edited by Lamps; 04-09-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

All though the k2 happy hour is a all mountain/freestyle board, it's really good with powder and is twin shaped.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
Might be hard to find what you are looking for - twin boards that are powder oriented tend to be rockered to at least some degree, which will be a detriment when conditions aren't ideal, while cambered boards for powder tend to be tapered and set back, and the camber handles the crud etc better. So you may have to choose between riding switch and handling marginal conditions.
Yeah, kinda what I was thinking. I would rather have a very good POW board that is decent in crud. I can always swap the bindings and spend 1/2 day strapped in normal and the other 1/2 goofy.
d2cycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2cycles View Post
Yeah, kinda what I was thinking. I would rather have a very good POW board that is decent in crud. I can always swap the bindings and spend 1/2 day strapped in normal and the other 1/2 goofy.
I'd think something like the juice wagon would fit the bill.

I forgot to mention burton trick pony, a rockered twin for powder (haven't ridden it, but I suspect that it's like the Sherlock in that it prefers good to ideal conditions).
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Even though k2 is already in your quiver, the Ultra Dream is worth checking out. Thing absolutely rips in powder, rides like a slightly set back twin and still maintains a high degree of fun in crud and groomers. I got one to replace the Sherlock I sold and rides way more like a true pow stick when you want it to. Not even close really. Wasn't sure I'd dig the flat base but I love it. I also thought the Sherlock sucked outside of optimal conditions.

Last edited by Fergatron2000; 04-09-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Fergatron2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am also looking into one, but since I mostly ride in the east coast, I want a POW board that can also ride decently on groomers. I am thinking the Slash Straight and Yes PYL would be a good choice for that.
snowman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Boards that are better in powder than what you have and aren't terrible switch:

Burton Barracuda or Landlord, K2 Peacekeeper, Arbor A-Frame, Jones Flagship, Slash Straight, or an Endeavor Next.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman55 View Post
I am also looking into one, but since I mostly ride in the east coast, I want a POW board that can also ride decently on groomers. I am thinking the Slash Straight and Yes PYL would be a good choice for that.
Hovercraft.
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote