Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Does 4 cm really make a difference? ;) (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/137994-does-4-cm-really-make-difference.html)

Cou 04-10-2014 05:42 AM

Does 4 cm really make a difference? ;)

Im looking at purchasing a new board (probably the Jones Aviator 13/14). I would say i am intermediate-advanced, 6' 4" 80kg (180lb), Burton ion 11, and i love carving and fresh pow, and finding natural features to pop off, however i am looking to progress my freestyle skills next season. Having rented a MAHUSSIVE Burton Baron 168 this season, i know the benefits of sheer size (i.e. edge hold and float). I am leaning toward the 164 Aviator, now here comes the question. Would i benefit sizing down to the 160W for increased freestyle performance, without loosing any noticable edge hold and float in the white stuff?
Cheers

Oldman 04-10-2014 08:42 AM

I think that most would agree that the biggest drawback to wider boards is that they are somewhat slower from edge to edge. As you are a size 11 boot, you have no need for a wide board.

You mention what you have rented, but not what you ride on a regular basis. At your size, I would say a 164 is a big board to be expanding your "freestyle skills" :icon_scratch:

Is this to be your only board or are you adding to quiver? :dunno:

andrewdod 04-10-2014 09:10 AM

a 164 is huge for your size... at 230lbs im on a 162, and a 166. for freestyle you could probably be okay on a 156, and for your daily board be on a 160. a 164 is going to ride you if you take it into the park, bigger boards are better for pow because they have more float, you want to be able to maneuver and flex the board in the park.

Cou 04-10-2014 09:10 AM

I own an old Rome Garage Rocker 156 that i used for a couple of seasons, but it wasnt great for any real speed, so i decided to rent a larger board (the big ol' Baron). This new board will definitely be my only for the forseeable future, as im from the UK (so 11UK = 12US for boots) and only get 1 trip a season in, 2 if im very lucky, so i cant really justify building up a whole quiver, as much as I'd love to. I plan on doing a season in the Alps in my gap year (the 15/16 season) and want something that will let me progress during that time, and next season.

N.B. the Aviator 164 is 262mm, the 160W is 260mm, and 160 is 256mm

andrewdod 04-10-2014 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cou (Post 1673506)
I own an old Rome Garage Rocker 156 that i used for a couple of seasons, but it wasnt great for any real speed, so i decided to rent a larger board (the big ol' Baron). This new board will definitely be my only for the forseeable future, as im from the UK (so 11UK = 12US for boots) and only get 1 trip a season in, 2 if im very lucky, so i cant really justify building up a whole quiver, as much as I'd love to. I plan on doing a season in the Alps in my gap year (the 15/16 season) and want something that will let me progress during that time, and next season.

N.B. the Aviator 164 is 262mm, the 160W is 260mm, and 160 is 256mm

in that case if you feel you can only have one board go with the 160w. size 12 boots are iffy if you need a wide board or not. the way i see it... better safe than sorry.