Dry Spot On Board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 02:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dry Spot On Board

Not too much of a big deal, but there is a circular dry spot on my SL where one of those stupid One Ball Jay stickers used to be on the base. I've already waxed the board 4 times now since I got it new this season, tip to tail and I'm pretty liberal with putting on wax.
Never saw it before, the whole base was always nice and shiny including that spot after a waxing and after riding just normal dry spots. I last waxed about a month ago thinking I was gonna go riding one last time but never did. Went to put my board away and noticed the round dry spot.

Any ideas on how to get rid of it, just keep waxing normally? Seems like the glue on the sticker did something to the base.

Edit:
Here's a photo

Last edited by OU812; 04-11-2014 at 02:08 AM.
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2014, 03:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Remember that OBJ sticker was put on after it was factory waxed so you'll probably need to take off the wax underneath it.
I'd try base cleaner and then 'hot wax scrape'; ie hot wax it then scrape it while its still warm. If u dont like base cleaner skip that step. If those steps dont work (which they probably will) I'd wipe it with lighter fluid. Lighter fluid is what we used to use to as wax remover and it will clean everything off to the bare base and leave it hazy (cause all the wax is gone): Lighter fluid wont hurt your base and functions as a better cleaner for foreign materials then a lot of base cleaners. Make sure u wax it before putting it up for the simmer and get some on your edges for rust protection. Good Luck

Last edited by rambob; 04-11-2014 at 03:22 AM.
rambob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips. I'll hot wax scrape that spot a few times and see if it helps. If not I might try the lighter fluid suggestion unless someone has any other ideas. Already planned leaving a coat on for the summer.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

The easiest way would just be to use something that is wax and adhesive soluble, but not base soluble. I've used brake and parts cleaner before to strip EVERYTHING off my base prior to p-tex. Spray on, wipe off immediately.

The other thing you could do is ignore it, it won't hurt anything, and it should come off over time just with riding...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

I did a hot wax scrape twice on that spot, then put a nice layer of wax all over the board for summer storage and will leave it. I'll see next season, I think it should be alright now.

It just surprised me that it did that that's all. You'd figure for a wax company they'd use a sticker that wouldn't do this lol.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Rooster King

spraying brake cleaner on your snowboard is fucking insane. that shit eats thru anything and i promise if you left it on there too long you'd destroy the board completely.

just use base cleaner...
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
spraying brake cleaner on your snowboard is fucking insane. that shit eats thru anything and i promise if you left it on there too long you'd destroy the board completely.
Bah! It's a strong solvent yes, but it evaporates quickly. I wouldn't suggest using it as a regular base cleaner before each wax job, but it does the trick of removing all contaminants prior to P-texing.

FWIW, this is the main ingredient in brake cleaner: Tetrachloroethylene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Rooster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Bah! It's a strong solvent yes, but it evaporates quickly. I wouldn't suggest using it as a regular base cleaner before each wax job, but it does the trick of removing all contaminants prior to P-texing.

FWIW, this is the main ingredient in brake cleaner: Tetrachloroethylene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
aw fuck my bad - i'm pre-coffee this morning...

i was thinking of the time got brake fluid on my couch and it stripped the dye off the leather...
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
aw fuck my bad - i'm pre-coffee this morning...

i was thinking of the time got brake fluid on my couch and it stripped the dye off the leather...
Lol, yeah brake FLUID is bad shit! Seems so harmless, this clear slimy liquid. I've heard of guys pouring it over peoples cars so it'll eat through the paint and render their cars unpaintable.

That said, I still wouldn't use brake cleaner regularly on a board.