Can you detune tips/tail with a power tool? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 10:35 AM
Blue Streak

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Burton Chopper Board

Just an fyi for anyone buying a board for the little guys.

My son has been using a Burton Chopper for last season and this one. It will be too small for him next yaer but it held up very well. He progressed quickly - is already in the terrain park and the board has survived all he has thrown at it. The price was reasonable and the Board Store we got it from will give us 50% back on board and bindings in year 1 or 25% in year 2. Since he has these for 2 I will probably sell on ebay and get more for the equipment.

Last edited by Blue Streak; 02-25-2009 at 10:41 AM. Reason: wrong one posted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 10:38 AM
VinXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Streak View Post
Ok - I know I can... but is it unwise? I have just about every power tool imaginable and am just wondering if it would be safe to use something like a Dremel tool, air die grinder or or 4 1/2 disc grinder with either diamond stones or metal grinding discs.

I also have the regular metal files that that require "manual" labor

Anyhow - just wondering if anyone has input on the matter. If not I will play safe and do the manual route. I dont want to use a power tool just to find out and as soon as I touch the edging - the board gets cut in a few mm's
You could use a dremel, but the amount of manual labor required to de-tune edges doesn't justify it in my opinion. I have many years experience as a tech, and I've never used a power tool for de-tuning. Best off using a file, and finish it it off with a diamond stone, to de-bur it all nice and smooth. Takes less than 10 minutes.

Last edited by VinXXX; 02-25-2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: wtf?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would go with the manual routine. It may take slighlty longer but is much safer for the edges.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 11:27 AM
13rian

u cnt ever call de-tuning a board labor, its 10 min work.. why risk ****ing up ur board with a powertool if manual is saffer and just as easy..
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Blue Streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13rian View Post
u cnt ever call de-tuning a board labor, its 10 min work.. why risk ****ing up ur board with a powertool if manual is saffer and just as easy..
when you are my age almost everything is labor!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 01:26 PM
13rian

haha that mite be tru but using power tools when ur my age(and havnt gt any expernce) ur bound 2 mess up ur board:P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode