Traveling with your gear? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 11:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Traveling with your gear?

Do you guys fly with your board at all? I'm in AZ and I'm thinking about buying somew new gear since the stuff I have is crap. But, if I go to CO or UT, I'll be flying. How much of a pain is to bring your board and stuff on the plane? Has anyone done it? Is it safe to just get a board bag and check it?
Fold is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2009, 11:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
(OSU)cowboy16

Thumbs up Yes to bringing your gear

Traveling with your gear is worth the extra baggage. As long as you have a board bag that has good padding then you will be fine.

Pros
You have YOUR stuff.
Dont have to pay for cheap rentals or pay and arm and a leg for a good demo
Dont have to wait in lines to rent and renturn
You ride better when you use the same board/boot/binding combo

Cons
May have to pay the extra bag charge to check it
Have to haul your board and boots to and from the airport
There is a TINY chance that your gear could get damaged

The choice is yours but i would recommend bringing your gear with you. You'll be happier with you trip if you do.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Blue Streak

Its not a big deal if:

-You have a good way to pack your board away - like wheelie bag or the old fashioned cardboard /bubble wrap way.

- if you have room to stick it in a rental vehicle (if using) or the car/bus/taxi at the airport

They get loaded as oversize luggage so you have to take it to the proper spot at the terminal (not a big deal). Depending on airline and the status you have as a frequent flyer (i fly a lot) you may have to pay extra for your oversize luggage. Just check with your airline bagge restrictions on the internet beforehand.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

yeah get a board bag and check your stuff. people do it all the time. be aware of each airlines guidelines and charges as they are all different. i wouldnt worry about damages as much as the airline losing your gear on the way to your destination.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Definitely worth getting a board bag. They're pretty inexpensive (ours came free with our gear). Just make sure its padded...I even lined the bag with my jacket & pants, to give it extra cushiony protection (not sure if it made much difference). Heck, boots, helmet, gloves, all went in the board bag (freed up luggage room)! We flew Air Canada & didn't get charged for oversized luggage, just had to drop it off at a different counter. The only damage I suffered were a couple of snags on the outside of the bag.
Siren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ddutty

Flying isn't really a problem. This year I was charged $25 each way with Northwest to bring my board, but that could have been easily avoided had I booked with another airline that doesn't rip off it's customers. Southwest for me from now on.
Other than that it is pretty hassle free, just like normal baggage check. I would def take my own board before I would rent one

Grab a board bag for sure though. Check brociety.com, they are putting up bags a lot lately, and good deals on them
Old 02-26-2009, 01:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Most of the airlines allow a snowboard bag to be checked as a normal checked bag, even though it exceeds the 'allowable' dimensions of a checked bag. It probably has something to do with the fact that the snowboard/ski season is a major source of income to the airlines in the otherwise 'slower than summer vacation' travel season. I say this because if you fly with a surfboard, you get charged $300 or so. So, seeing as snowboards are a little smaller than most shortboards in surfing, I couldn't understand any other reason there is such a big difference.

I've flown most of the major airlines coast to coast with my 165cm wheelie bag, and have never been charged more than the normal 1st checked bag charge. I only check in the wheelie bag which is packed with a 156cm board, bindings, boots, gloves....and so on. All my mountain gear including tools. Then I carry a backpack loaded with gear/clothes, and a carry-on suitcase loaded with all clothes.

If possible, only get nonstop flights. This cuts down on the nightmare chance that your gear won't arrive with you when you land. It's worth the extra $$ to not have to fight with the airlines about why your snowboard is in Texas, and you are in SLC.

One tip if you buy your gear and fly with it. Tape your board's edges with a couple layers of masking tape. Sometimes the baggage handlers hit the edges of your bag, and it can tear the inside of your bag up from your board's edges and the extra weight from all the other gear you pack in there.
stevetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have traveled with my board before. I just put my board and gear in my Dakine bag and check it in.
SFshredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i heard someone on the forums got charged 107$ flying united airlines.
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
brakh

SportubeŽ - Snowboards