Freeride Board Advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 11:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Freeride Board Advice

Last edited by JackNZ; 04-13-2014 at 04:32 AM.
JackNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 07:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hey.. I have been looking for something similar and have come up with the Salomon Assassin. Not sure if it would suit what you're after as haven't ridden it but its widely expected to be a good pow floater while retaining a bit of flex for those jumps and with some good edge hold too...
Chadster77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackNZ View Post
You said two different things. Are you looking for a FREERIDE board or a FREESTYLE board? Freeride is about bombing down mountains. Freestyle is about park and doing tricks. A freeride board will generally be longer and stiffer to minimize chatter and hold an edge at high speeds and quick turns. A freestyle board will be shorter and more flexible so that you don't take your ankles out landing tricks. Don't stop at the board. A good stiff pair of boots makes a stiff freeride board even more fun. Softer boots will save your ankles when doing freestyle tricks.
surfinsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfinsnow View Post
You said two different things. Are you looking for a FREERIDE board or a FREESTYLE board? Freeride is about bombing down mountains. Freestyle is about park and doing tricks. A freeride board will generally be longer and stiffer to minimize chatter and hold an edge at high speeds and quick turns. A freestyle board will be shorter and more flexible so that you don't take your ankles out landing tricks. Don't stop at the board. A good stiff pair of boots makes a stiff freeride board even more fun. Softer boots will save your ankles when doing freestyle tricks.
... and then there are the ALL-MOUNTAIN boards, which are inbetween the freeride planks and freesyle noodles you mentioned, and which would fit OPs need.

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah apologies I must have mis-read it too... My assassin shout was based on the assumption that you are looking for a bit of an all mountain board with enough pop to let you jump off stuff but with the ability to still float in back country style powder..
Old 04-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

got my gnu pickle mid way through last season for this exact purpose, 6.5 flex that softens to a 5.5 or so id say and the pbtx profile with the rocker to flat/mildcamber makes it float like a beast but it also has dat magnetraction for teh ice. Fairly quick sintered base too, only prob that im sure the very next post will address is the lack of a full wrap edge which might be a issue for BC unless you dont run into stuff(is easier to repair though). Also have a NS SL/Legacy, not quite as "fun" as my pickle but super solid all mountain board with a fair amount of pop(pickles pop is "meh") and great edge hold for a hybrid.
DasStugIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hmmm, interesting.. I hadn't considered the pickle.. Without meaning to hijack the thread, would you suggest the pickle might be a good step for me to take away from my fast back? I don't get to ride often, maybe 3 weeks out of a year so need a decent all mountain board which I can progress on.. The fast back is great on powder days and when I just want to aim it and go, but I am not progressing my switch riding or ollies or anything else a its such a massive stiff board! I have large trotters so currently ride a wide 163. Want to get down to a 160 really and gnu do a pickle in 161w I think..?
Old 04-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

i ride the 159, im 6'1" 175 size 10, i def could have gone down to the 156 but i wanted a little more all mountain feel with the extra length/stiffness, its still more then light enough to whip around in the park with a little leg power, and holy crap does it lock into rails and boxes well, sooooo much fun. Its definitley a park board but it has so much tech thrown at it(assymetrical, magne, pbtx) that it can preform in any condition/style i throw at it(powder at Mammoth, Ice at Bear). the back end can be a little squirrely at speed because the rocker but when you get it locked into a good carve its really solid and doesnt wash out. the 159 regular has a waist width of 255 which is getting into midwide territory so i would say its good up to about size 12 or so before you need the wide(+15 -15 stance)
DasStugIII is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, freeride, snowboard guide, snowboard help, snowboard purchacing