board for spring conditions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 03:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default board for spring conditions

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a board specifically for spring/summer conditions (to use from now until August), ungroomed backcountry riding in the PNW. I haven't decided yet on a split or not. Specific recommendations are nice but not needed.

I'm trying to better understand the type of board I want. Longer? Stiffer/softer? Hybrid rocker/camber?
unsunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Hmmm... could you specify how spring/summer conditions in PNW are like?
Here it means southern aspects being icy in the mornings, slushy at noon, windblown crusts everywhere... If so then I'd go with mid long board (no deep pow to float) rather on the stiffer side (to cope with the changing conditions) with good edgehold (e.g. RCR with mellow magne or alike for the icy patches).
If you look for a split, I was told that RCR or RFR suite better for surface contact/tracktion on crusts, but that's second hand knowledge. I've a RCR and know that skinning on crusts can be PITA and it sounded logical that a rocker won't help.

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks! Conditions here are usually pretty similar. I was looking at two pretty different boards (NS SL, Billy Goat) and it sounds like I should pick the stiffer one over the damper one! The Billy Goat is a bit long for me (159 vs 151) but I'll probably get used to it, right?

Another question - I find my balance is thrown off a bit when I ride with a backcountry pack. Any tips?
Old 04-29-2014, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Try to pack heavy things in the base and close to your back, not in outer/upper compartments, and make use of the compression straps to keep an as low as possible profile, and wear it close to your body i.e. straps closed tightly so it does the same movement as you do and won't swing.
Other than that, it's just getting used to it the more often you wear one.
Bought an avy airbag backpack at the beginning of the season, pretty heavy compared to the one I had before. The first two days I was also bit off balance but since I rode with it every day of the season, it became second skin.

BTW: What's you weght? Can't help with the SL or BG sizing since I don’t know them. Wrathfuldeity has a BG an IIRC rides similar conditions; you'll find posts of him filled with good words for the board.

Last edited by neni; 04-29-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunken View Post
Thanks! Conditions here are usually pretty similar. I was looking at two pretty different boards (NS SL, Billy Goat) and it sounds like I should pick the stiffer one over the damper one! The Billy Goat is a bit long for me (159 vs 151) but I'll probably get used to it, right?

Another question - I find my balance is thrown off a bit when I ride with a backcountry pack. Any tips?
The goat also comes in a 56, but that is still a pretty big difference from a 51. A 59 seems way too big IMO unless you want it for bottomless pow days.
freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

I can't comment on the Goat but I have ridden my SL 158 (I'm 187 lbs & wear size 10.5 boots) in spring conditions in Vermont and Virginia. Both are C/R/C and the SL comes in a 151, 153, 155, 158 and longer lengths. It did great in slush, chop, glades (although I would have gotten a smaller version if this was my main intent), and it's a very versatile board. The Goat though offers a split variant if you plan on doing a lot of hiking.

As a few other people asked what's your weight and boot size?

Last edited by Simon Birch; 04-29-2014 at 08:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Simon Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

I weigh about 150, but all geared up I'm pushing 180. I'm a W7.5 shoe size, so I'm concerned about some boards being too wide.

I've been looking at the Goat split since I found it on sale over at evo, but the shortest it comes in is 159.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
I weigh about 150, but all geared up I'm pushing 180. I'm a W7.5 shoe size, so I'm concerned about some boards being too wide.

I've been looking at the Goat split since I found it on sale over at evo, but the shortest it comes in is 159.
Are you rocking 30# of gear at the resort or just in the BC?
Old 04-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
Are you rocking 30# of gear at the resort or just in the BC?
It's just an estimate. I figure 10 of that is from what I'm wearing, and the other 20 comes from my BC pack.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:

Wmn 7.5 could be an issue to keep waist width in mind. I've a wmn 8.5 and found boards with waist width up to 25mm to be just ok, but narrower is better. Too wide can feel coarse. Have you looked at Jones Solution? They're pretty narrow. Or with Venture you can choose length AND waist width.