Finding a new board...size needed? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2007, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Quiksilver_28

Default Finding a new board...size needed?

Hey guys. I'm looking for a new board. I got one about 2 years ago...paid $300...so I'm hoping to find something in the same category...either new or used with bindings. I was looking at a Ride Theory, and a Burton bullet. I ride a 148 now...but realize it's way to small. Thought it'd be better for tricks but as soon as I get going full speed I get a nasty tail wobble. I'm 5'9 weight ranges from around 140-165...depending on conditioning. I wear a size 10.5 US Shoe size. Both boards I was looking at are a 154. Is this a good size? Also I will be using the board atleast once or twice a week doing ski patrol. Board will not be used for park. Thanks guys for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2007, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

What's your weight in regular street clothes? And I take it you are freeride only? And if so, east or west coast?
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Quiksilver_28

Current weight in regular street clothes is 140...but once again it ranges from up till 165 if I train for size instead of toning. Flucuates at this time haven't been able to level it off. And I'm from Ontario, Canada. Biggest hills I will be riding this within the next few years will be Blue Mountain, Tremblant and Whistler. But sticking mainly to the smaller hills in my Ski Patrol area.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
st.stark

I would go with something more in the 156-157 range...it'll be nice for both freeride and freestyle in that range IMO.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Quiksilver_28

Thanks, are both the Bullet and Ride Theory park boards? I'm not really looking for something like that cause I won't be doing much Park at all. I'm looking for more of a freeride board. Any suggestions with pricing you could offer me?
Old 10-20-2007, 05:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

IMO, 157 is too long for your weight, and where you ride. Knock it down to a 153-ish.
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Quiksilver_28

Hey guys...hesitant to the suggestion. Can anyone offer any opinions or suggestions. Time is winding down before I have to make a board purchase...and I'd like to make an educated selection.

"Alright, so after reading your e-mail I have a couple boards that would suit you, but one definetly stands out. I'll start with that one. Its the Palmer Honeycirlce 2. The length is 161cm. It is a directionaly shaped board. The suggested rider weight is up to 210 lbs. This board is not the stiffest board palmer makes, but is very light, specifically in the nose and tail of the board. This is because the core of the board in the nose and tail is made of honeycomb material, saving a lot of weight on either end of the board. This construction will allow you to control the board with much faster reaction time between turns. The board is a little big for a 140 pound rider, but we can bend those rules which will in turn make the board react differently than if a lighter rider were on it. This board is light, mildy stiff, and super fast. It has a cap construction vs. a sidewall on the other boards I will recommend. Cap construction is superb while comparing performance and edge hold, because the wood core of the board continues all the way to the edge, rather than stoping short to allow room for impact resistant material. Which ill make Cap constructed boards less durable to impact, and harder/more expensive to fix in the case of an impact. The honeycircle 161 will be very stable at high speeds and super reactive while riding the fast terrain of Tremblant, allowing you to build more confidence. It is also very light, and responsive, so when riding at your local mountain, which is probably not as safe to ride very fast, you can still mess around, without having to be completely attentive to the snow conditions, your footing, and speed, like you would have to on a very stiff freeride board. Those type of boards are very demanding, and usually not as fun on smaller mountains. This board was $499 last year, but is now on sale at $349, this is another reason why this board is my my first suggestion."
Old 10-22-2007, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiksilver_28
Hey guys...hesitant to the suggestion. Can anyone offer any opinions or suggestions. Time is winding down before I have to make a board purchase...and I'd like to make an educated selection.

"Alright, so after reading your e-mail I have a couple boards that would suit you, but one definetly stands out. I'll start with that one. Its the Palmer Honeycirlce 2. The length is 161cm. It is a directionaly shaped board. The suggested rider weight is up to 210 lbs. This board is not the stiffest board palmer makes, but is very light, specifically in the nose and tail of the board. This is because the core of the board in the nose and tail is made of honeycomb material, saving a lot of weight on either end of the board. This construction will allow you to control the board with much faster reaction time between turns. The board is a little big for a 140 pound rider, but we can bend those rules which will in turn make the board react differently than if a lighter rider were on it. This board is light, mildy stiff, and super fast. It has a cap construction vs. a sidewall on the other boards I will recommend. Cap construction is superb while comparing performance and edge hold, because the wood core of the board continues all the way to the edge, rather than stoping short to allow room for impact resistant material. Which ill make Cap constructed boards less durable to impact, and harder/more expensive to fix in the case of an impact. The honeycircle 161 will be very stable at high speeds and super reactive while riding the fast terrain of Tremblant, allowing you to build more confidence. It is also very light, and responsive, so when riding at your local mountain, which is probably not as safe to ride very fast, you can still mess around, without having to be completely attentive to the snow conditions, your footing, and speed, like you would have to on a very stiff freeride board. Those type of boards are very demanding, and usually not as fun on smaller mountains. This board was $499 last year, but is now on sale at $349, this is another reason why this board is my my first suggestion."
Who was that email off? It sounds like a shop trying to unload a board on you that they cant shift.
Snowjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned Bananas [national phenomenon]

No. 161 is WAY too big for you, I don't care what anyone says. 157 is even pushing it. You need a 152-53ish for an all mountain board.

alaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

161 especially in that board is waaaaayyyyy too big for you. Stick to a 153-155
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote