[HELP ME] Flow Era vs Stepchild Kam-Knife - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default [HELP ME] Flow Era vs Stepchild Kam-Knife

Im going to buy one of them, ill buy it online and get shipped to my house (international shipping, i have only this two options because shipping to my country is expensive) so i really need to be secure about what to buy...

i want a park board to improve my spins and rails, but not a full park with flex 1, i want to ride at full speed on the mountain too and just have fun with natural obstacles, jibbing a little and doing some stuff...

Stepchild Kam-Knife: Stepchild Snowboards Kamknife Snowboard | Backcountry.com

Flow Era:Flow Flow Era Snowboard - Freestyle Snowboards | Backcountry.com

i think flow era is a good option (i dont know if flow is overrated), but the stepchild has something that makes me want to buy it, so help me please!
romdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 03:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The ERA has a sintered base, the KAMKNIFE has a Snag Free base...

What the hell is a snag free base? or is that just another way of saying an extruded base, made cheaply...??? I have never heard of that before, if extruded, then i understand, and i would not buy it, easy maintenance maybe, but just not a fan...

Love the ERA though, was considering getting that anyway myself from the sales... Hehe

2012/13 114 days
2013/14 102 days

Rides

K2 Fastplant 154, Ride DH2 158, Endeavour Vice 155, Signal OG 155, NS Evo 157
Kevin137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin137 View Post

What the hell is a snag free base? or is that just another way of saying an extruded base, made cheaply...??? I have never heard of that before, if extruded, then i understand, and i would not buy it, easy maintenance maybe, but just not a fan...

Love the ERA though, was considering getting that anyway myself from the sales... Hehe
Hey Kev junkyard.no has a 158, 155 and 153 for 2000kr free shipping before April twenty something. Better be quick cause its the one I got my eye on, that as well as the Shifty
ItchEtrigR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

That is cheap, but can get so much cheaper from the USA, and my neighbour will fly at least 4 times before the new season, and he is picking a new board up as well, hard case available and free baggage when he flies business as well, so may well end up with it... Hehe

2012/13 114 days
2013/14 102 days

Rides

Old 04-17-2014, 07:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm trying to justify hitting the "legg til" button, there's fuck all with snow up here in Gautefall, I feel a core shot coming up once the rain stops time to properly lay this Operator to rest.

You start your easter yet?

To the OP, sorry to thread jack; the Era got a good review from BA, both Nivek & BA have nothing but good things to say about Flow decks. ERA got some fancy hybrid camber with a concave center that looks prime for pressing if your looking at some flat ground tricks. I'm personally going for the Shifty as I'm digging flat between the feet for an all round ride and that little camber section at the tips seems to me like a win win.

Last edited by ItchEtrigR; 04-17-2014 at 07:36 AM.
ItchEtrigR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'm also sorry for hijacking the thread, buit i would choose the ERA... Haha

I am dubious about anything that isn;t explained in simple terms, and that base is not one or the other in terms of what is normal on the shifty, and that leads me to believe it is probably a fancy name for extruded, which is not something i want another of...

yes we have started our Easter, my son is over until Sunday morning, we have hit up Kongsberg last monday, Oslo Winter Park tues & wed, went shopping in Sweden today, now got Friday and Saturday in Kongsberg before he flies home Sunday morning, i will head straight up to Kongsberg for the last day of the season there, and then just the Slush day left on the 1st May with Sneaky and his snowboarding school... So 4 days of snow left for me... Hehe

God i'm bored just thinking about having nothing to do already...!

2012/13 114 days
2013/14 102 days

Rides

Old 04-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:

I emailed stepchilds and they told me this:

The Kam Knife is a good board! Good choice on that. Snag free bases are hardened in the press, it cooks the base harder as it sandwhiches the board, just makes the bases a bit more durable and easier to maintain. All our boards come with this.
Hope that helps.
cheers

... What do you think about this? Flow era or Kam Knife?
Old 04-22-2014, 06:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'm still not sure of it, in there TECH description, it says the bases are hardened in the press by a temperature controlled system that cooks the base harder, this process is applied to every base material we use...

Now the simple fact is, that the structure of a base is very simple, extruded and sintered.

They are both made with polyethylene pellets, Extruded are done under heat, and Sintered is by pressure...

So by the simple fact that they say they do it under heat, then surely it can't be a sintered base...

That is not to say an extruded base does not work, but an extruded base is cheaper due to time in manufacturing and how they are made, they are also easier to look after in terms of it makes little difference if you forget to wax, and they don't absorb wax as well as a sintered base, so asa whole they may be easier, but they certainly aren't better... When waxed properly and regularly a sintered is faster but they are harder to repair...

Snowboard Bases: Extruded Vs. Sintered

I would go with the ERA personally... But again, others will have a different opinion...

2012/13 114 days
2013/14 102 days

Rides

Old 04-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm still not sure of it, in there TECH description, it says the bases are hardened in the press by a temperature controlled system that cooks the base harder, this process is applied to every base material we use...

Now the simple fact is, that the structure of a base is very simple, extruded and sintered.

They are both made with polyethylene pellets, Extruded are done under heat, and Sintered is by pressure...

So by the simple fact that they say they do it under heat, then surely it can't be a sintered base...

That is not to say an extruded base does not work, but an extruded base is cheaper due to time in manufacturing and how they are made, they are also easier to look after in terms of it makes little difference if you forget to wax, and they don't absorb wax as well as a sintered base, so asa whole they may be easier, but they certainly aren't better... When waxed properly and regularly a sintered is faster but they are harder to repair...

Snowboard Bases: Extruded Vs. Sintered

I would go with the ERA personally... But again, others will have a different opinion...
thanks for the fast reply, its very difficult to choose between this two ahahah
Old 04-22-2014, 07:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I was struggling between the Flow ERA and the BUCKWILD from Ride

The ERA is winning right now...

2012/13 114 days
2013/14 102 days

Rides