Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   GNU Impossible vs Burton Mystery Flying V (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/138682-gnu-impossible-vs-burton-mystery-flying.html)

Shredtastic 04-18-2014 06:41 AM

GNU Impossible vs Burton Mystery Flying V

Hi,

Got a GNU Impossible 159cm 2013/2014 from the LibTech warranty for my delaminated one year old T.Rice 157cm

Now, i am thinking about selling the Impossible and buy a Burton Mystery 155cm, because the Impossible is may be to long for me as my every day Board, what the T.Rice 157 was before...

i am 5.11 and 152 lbs, own a Skate Banana 152cm for playing around and Park, a Burton Fish 156cm for Pow and had the T.Rice 157 for every day, do it all..

what do you guys think about the Impossible or the Burton Mystery flying V ?.... and their sizes ...

any suggestions !?
need an advice !

Thanks !

Deacon 04-18-2014 07:13 AM

http://bitsocialmedia.com/wp-content...rnet-Troll.jpg

Shredtastic 04-18-2014 07:21 AM

this is how i possibly look like... :)

but doesn't help at all !

onitsukatiger 04-18-2014 07:55 AM

Are you getting a great deal on the mystery? It's ridiculous that the mystery exists after all. I do not know anyone who rides it, but it's a $1500 board and that's enough to tell me it is over-the-top.

I don't even think the technology that goes into it is anything special - or would even make a difference to the rider, and because of that, i'd recommend anything over a burton mystery.

Even if you're getting a "deal" on the mystery, I don't think the flying v is the best hybrid/camber shape out there. It's very loose to say the most. I have a burton antler and while it was very fun, when I wanted to charge, it wouldn't hold. There's just a tad too much rocker in the middle. Even with sharpened edges, I was never confident holding an edge on crust/end-of-the-day crap, let alone harder pack and ice.

I think an EC2 would be a better compromise between camber and flying v. But in my opinion, I think a RCR is probably the best compromise/closest to the performance of a camber in terms of edge hold.

But it all depends on what kind of riding conditions you ride in. If you never hit ice or crust, then perhaps you could go flying v - because it is a fun profile, you just need good conditions of snow.

Lamps 04-18-2014 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onitsukatiger (Post 1688954)
Are you getting a great deal on the mystery? It's ridiculous that the mystery exists after all. I do not know anyone who rides it, but it's a $1500 board and that's enough to tell me it is over-the-top.

I don't even think the technology that goes into it is anything special - or would even make a difference to the rider, and because of that, i'd recommend anything over a burton mystery.

Even if you're getting a "deal" on the mystery, I don't think the flying v is the best hybrid/camber shape out there. It's very loose to say the most. I have a burton antler and while it was very fun, when I wanted to charge, it wouldn't hold. There's just a tad too much rocker in the middle. Even with sharpened edges, I was never confident holding an edge on crust/end-of-the-day crap, let alone harder pack and ice.

I think an EC2 would be a better compromise between camber and flying v. But in my opinion, I think a RCR is probably the best compromise/closest to the performance of a camber in terms of edge hold.

But it all depends on what kind of riding conditions you ride in. If you never hit ice or crust, then perhaps you could go flying v - because it is a fun profile, you just need good conditions of snow.

I have a mystery, really like it for good conditions. It's feather light, has a super fast base, and is really quick edge to edge. It's a fun shape, surfy feel to it, decent in powder for not having taper - the rocker middle likes the powder soft snow, turns good in it. I paid about half retail for a lightly used one. Edge hold is ok on ice if you keep it sharp, but not great.

In poor conditions I ride a cambered board for better edge hold on ice, or for crashing through crud etc.

Flame away but I like boards like the mystery (my cambered deck is a vapor). Eventually the tech migrates to mid range boards, it's good that these types of boards exist. I think the antler is a good example of high end tech coming to mid to upper market boards, although I'm not surprised it doesn't charge well, it's a soft board.

onitsukatiger 04-18-2014 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamps (Post 1688970)
I have a mystery, really like it for good conditions. It's feather light, has a super fast base, and is really quick edge to edge. It's a fun shape, surfy feel to it, decent in powder for not having taper - the rocker middle likes the powder soft snow, turns good in it. I paid about half retail for a lightly used one. Edge hold is ok on ice if you keep it sharp, but not great.

In poor conditions I ride a cambered board for better edge hold on ice, or for crashing through crud etc.

Flame away but I like boards like the mystery (my cambered deck is a vapor). Eventually the tech migrates to mid range boards, it's good that these types of boards exist. I think the antler is a good example of high end tech coming to mid to upper market boards, although I'm not surprised it doesn't charge well, it's a soft board.

I didn't mean to sound inflamed over the design of the Mystery. It is out of my budget range, and I find that for my style of riding, I am able to find boards that better suit my needs without breaking my bank.

Like you said, I agree the flying v is very fun for good conditions. I've noticed after sharpening my edges the antler is pretty decent for holding edge, it's just not as confidence-inspiring as other boards I've ridden. I believe the mystery and antler have similar shapes, so I can see how the mystery is quick edge to edge, which was one of my favorite qualities of the antler.

I see your point about having a high-end model that is crazy-filled with technology, the good of which, later trickle down to other boards. It is a good thing for the industry. I am a car guy, and as you may know, this happens in cars all the time - so I can see where you're coming from and it makes sense.

Shredtastic 04-18-2014 11:19 AM

@onitsukatiger:
no, i am not getting a special deal on it. have to take the end season prices. but with selling the Impossible its about half...so, i am not worrying to spend the rest for what i will get.

i am riding all type of conditions here in the Alps, and try to have a good quiver for every condition. In good to slushy spring conditions, i ride my Skate Banana ...really fun then !
But looking for a new "everyday" Board, it should be suitable all over the mountain.
probably, the Impossible is the "better" catch for that. what do you think about the size ?
if could choose, i'll take it in 155... but my one is 159..

@Lamps:
which year and size is your Mystery ? is it med-soft or more on the mid stiff side ??

Lamps 04-18-2014 06:49 PM

I weigh 185, the mystery is from the 2nd production year black with blue graphics, it's a 158.

You would I think find that the mystery would replace the banana unless you're going in the park.

Personally I think that full camber is the best choice for the all around; when you guess wrong, a cambered board if marginally worse in soft snow while a non camber deck suffers more so in icy or poor conditions.

I haven't ridden one yet but this year the mystery was also made in full camber (vapor was dropped). I think that the cambered mystery would be a great all round board.