New Rider Help - 5 boards/bindings/boots - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 09:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
ChadwickVM

Default New Rider Help - 5 boards/bindings/boots

Hello everyone,

After 2.5 weekends of snowboarding I think I am hooked. Unfortunately for my bank-account, I think I'm ready to buy some gear. I've looked around A LOT and narrowed my selections down to 5 boards, 5 bindings and 5 boots. I was wondering if anyone had opinions on them such as which setup combo would work best together or overall opinions on the individual pieces of gear or their company.

The selections I have chosen were made on a few criteria. These criteria were used because they are the only metrics I have available with my limited knowledge of gear, despite all of my research.

#1 Aesthetics. It sounds dumb to start with, but knowing me I wouldn't enjoy riding a board nearly as much if I thought it was ugly.
#2 Price. Its important (but not mandatory) that I stay under $450 but I also don't want to get a $250 package setup that isn't worth its weight in plastic.
#3 Diversity. I have tried to get a broad choice selection with varied companies and specifications so that I don't go crazy on, say, all Burton equipment.
#4 Slated for beginner. I tried my best to find equipment that was aimed at the new rider but I was not 100% confident that my ability to make the distinction.

As always, if you have any suggestions outside of this realm I am 100% open to them. Also, these are not really in any true order.

Many thanks for any help guys.

- My Stats -
Height: 6' 0" - 182.88 cm
Weight: 145 lb - 65.7 kg
Shoe Size: 9.5 US - 42.5 Euro

BOARDS

Blank Snowboards 155
https://www.blanksnowboards.com/xcar...age=1&featured
Length: 155cm or 160cm
Effective Edge: 122.0cm
Side Cut Radius: 7700cm
Stance Width: 45/61cm
Waist Width: 25.0cm
Thoughts: Love the style. Supposed to have a medium/soft flex. Heard good things about the company from an instructor. Price is right.

Morrow Clutch
Save on Morrow Clutch Snowboard 154 - Mens Snowboards Snowboarding Gear Equipment
Length: 154cm or 162cm
Sidecut: 7700cm
Waiste: 24.4cm
Thoughts: One of the cheaper ones. I think I dig the graphics well enough.

Palmer P Line
Palmer Snowboard Palmer P Line Snowboard
Lengths and Waist Widths
146cm length: 24.6cm waist
150cm length: 24.8cm waist
154cm length: 24.8cm waist
158cm length: 24.9cm waist
162cm length: 25.1cm waist
Thoughts: Says its aimed at beginner/intermediate. Low price point. Plain Jane look that I like, though I'm not TOO huge on the stark black white. Multiple sizes to choose from.

Lamar Blazer
Save on Lamar Blazer Snowboard 151 - Mens Snowboard Snowboarding Gear Equipment
Length: 151 cm
Effective Edge: 120.50cm
Sidecut: 8900cm
Waist: 24.90cm
Nose/Tail: 28.90cm
Thoughts: One of the few graphics I like. Great price point. If I should be going short, this is the shortest in the list.

Howard Illuminati
Illuminati Howard Snowboard - Free Shipping! from Backcountryoutlet.com
Shape: Tapered-directional
Effective Edge: 160cm
Sidecut Radius: 160cm
Waist: 160cm
Thoughts: Chosen purely on style and price reduction. Probably won't get it because I doubt it would be good for a new user. Threw it in the mix because it was one of my favorite looking ones and I was having trouble finding a fifth board I liked.

BOOTS

Ride Orion
Ride Orion Snowboard Boot - Men's from Backcountry.com
Thoughts: Good price, heat moldable insert, good review

Thirty Two Prospect
ThirtyTwo Prospect Snowboard Boot - Men's from Backcountry.com
Thoughts: Recommended by Backcountry sales rep for beginner flex. heat moldable insert

Celsius Rexford
Celsius Rexford Snowboard Boot - Men's from Backcountry.com
Thoughts: Good review. One of the stiffer boots if that's what I should look at. Dig the brown stripes. Regular insert, not heat moldable (is that really a bad thing?)

Thirty Two Lashed
Save on 32 - Thirty Two Lashed Snowboard Boots Black/Silver - Mens Snowboards Boot Snowboarding Gear Equipment
Thoughts: Great reviews. Not bad looking. Kind of pricey but will pay if its worth it. Supposed to have a great lining.

Salomon Symbio
Save on Salomon Symbio Light Snowboard Boots Black/White - Mens Snowboards Boot Snowboarding Gear Equipment
Thoughts: Thrown in the mix as a last resort. Can't get much info on it BUT does look to have a good medium/soft flex if that is what I need. Also represents a different company from what I've chosen.

BINDINGS

Forum Republic
Forum Republic Snowboard Binding - Men's - Free Shipping! from Backcountryoutlet.com
Thoughts: Got great reviews on all sites. Not bad price. May be a stiffer binding if that is what I should be look at.

Salomon Spx 45
Best Prices on Salomon Spx 45 Snowboard Bindings Dark - Mens Snowboards Binding Snowboarding Gear Equipment
Thoughts: Looks to be nicely padded. Ok price. Looks good. Specs make it seem a little more flexible if that's what I should look at.

Flux Emblem
Best Prices on Flux Emblem Snowboard Bindings Black - Mens Snowboards Binding Snowboarding Gear Equipment
Thoughts: Phenomenal endorsement from the store. Looks to have a comfortable set up. Great price.

Rossingol Hc1000
Save on Rossignol Hc1000 Snowboard Bindings Black/White - Mens Snowboards Binding Snowboarding Gear Equipment
Thoughts: Good price. Good review from store.

Drake Leblank Mlb
Save on Drake Leblanc Mlb Snowboard Bindings Black - Mens Snowboards Binding Snowboarding Gear Equipment
Thoughts: Cheap. Supposed to have good cushioning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2009, 10:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

+1 for the union bindings. I wouldn't worry about finding stuff slated for a beginner, I would rather spend money on gear that I could grow into instead of grow out of in one season.
mike v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike v View Post
+1 for the union bindings. I wouldn't worry about finding stuff slated for a beginner, I would rather spend money on gear that I could grow into instead of grow out of in one season.
True and not so true. You wouldn't want to get a board for a more advanced rider that is stiff as can be, cause it will probably throw you on your ass a few times.

Plus you can think of it this way... You pick up a board made for a beginner because it'll usually be a little shorter and softer to help you get down board control with carving/turning. Then after you've ridden it for a season or two you can get a board more tuned to the riding style you've chosen, aka park rat/freestyle or strictly freeride. Then pick up a more advanced board and make your first one a jib stick or something you won't mind thrashing a little .

12+ years riding a plank down snow

Bataleon Evil Twin Review:
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/equ...evil-twin.html
darkninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Trace63

My friend just payed $440 for a 159cm Burton Deuce, Rome Arsenal bindings, and Salomon Malamute boots.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
ChadwickVM

Awesome, great advice guys.

Well, based on jake's advice, I am leaning toward the Capita Stairmaster 156 which also got astounding reviews on the site. I'm also going to definitely do one of the 32 boots, probably the Prospect since it was not only on my list, but recommended by a sales rep and by jake. Last, with the 2 endorsements I got for the Union bindings, I'm looking at that union force.

One hitch. SierraSnowbaord.com had the Capitas at $191 (phenomenal price) but are sold out of the 156, which is what I'll need. That means I'll have to go to The House to get it and they run about $260 over there. is it worth the extra $70?

Thanks again,

Chad
Old 02-26-2009, 09:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
kMc

They have the Capita Scaremaster in the size you want. It's the exact same board, different graphics. Go with that rather than spending more money for the stairmaster somewhere else.

Capita Snowboard Capita Scaremaster Snowboard
kMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadwickVM View Post
Awesome, great advice guys.

Well, based on jake's advice, I am leaning toward the Capita Stairmaster 156 which also got astounding reviews on the site. I'm also going to definitely do one of the 32 boots, probably the Prospect since it was not only on my list, but recommended by a sales rep and by jake. Last, with the 2 endorsements I got for the Union bindings, I'm looking at that union force.

One hitch. SierraSnowbaord.com had the Capitas at $191 (phenomenal price) but are sold out of the 156, which is what I'll need. That means I'll have to go to The House to get it and they run about $260 over there. is it worth the extra $70?

Thanks again,

Chad
1) i wish every noob posted as well as you did. as a regular contributer with no problems helping, its great to have someone come on here with actual research, and educated ideas of what he wants.

2) i love my stairmaster extreme, its a step up from the stairmaster or scaremaster but both are nice boards.here is the capita stairmaster in a 156, no scaremasters unfortunatley, i bet you capita was pretty suprised when the scaremaster outsold there baby though lol..
2009 CAPITA STAIRMASTER Snowboards Mens Park
there are coupons available on retailmenot.com for that site, im not sure if they would work for that sale though, its already so cheap.
this is my baby and probably worth the 50$ just because of the sintered base, sick grapphics, and stronger sheet.
2009 CAPITA STAIRMASTER EXTREME WIDE BOARD Snowboards Mens Wide / Mid-Wide Park / Rail
they only have wide. i have a 152w with 10.5 boots and its about perfect. im not sure if it would work for you but i figured its worth letting you know.
my setup i would consider is top of the line, and under 480$ so its very possible to do in your price range. i bought my boots off ebay for 100, and flow NXT FS's off valuesports.com for 120.

3)bindings, there are tons of good bindings out there. 2009 rome targas are on porters right now for 150, for my buddy bought 390s off of ebay a little while ago for 140 and they were 2009s. i would reccomend the 390s with that setup, it would be a nice setup for the park but still be very capable outside of it. another very good binding is the union contact, check these, they would look sick with the extreme.
2009 UNION CONTACT BINDINGS Snowboard Bindings Mens Recreational

4)boots are all up to you. i highly highly reccomend celcius boots, they are the only boots i will wear.
need anything else lmk

edit, just looked at your size, i would say your probably going to big, i weigh a good 25-30 more pounds then you and i dont like riding anything bigger then 154, my stairmaster is a 152.
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants

Last edited by jmacphee9; 02-26-2009 at 09:42 AM.
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
ChadwickVM

Quote:
1) i wish every noob posted as well as you did. as a regular contributer with no problems helping, its great to have someone come on here with actual research, and educated ideas of what he wants.
Hahahah, hey thanks man. I didn't want to be that guy who just comes in asking to have "the best set up" handed to him when A) there's probably no such thing and B) a lot of info can be gathered from snooping around forums and reviews.

So I ended up with the following thanks to the advice from everyone here, my own research, and a little help from over on the abc-of-snowboarding.com forum.

Capita Stairmaster 156 Snowboard - Its length comes right above my chin so I guess its a bit long for some people who ride park but I'm mostly doing groomed runs and don't see myself doing park for probably a few years. Plus, when I went out riding last time I used a shorter board where as the first time I used one about chin height and preferred the feel of the taller one.

Union Contact Bindings - Apparently made for freestyle but I guess that extra cush is good to start with right? Anyway, they had the right size of these on the site. I was also looking at burtons based on some other people's input but the site didn't have anything good in stock.

32 Lashed Boots - After hearing so much good about the 32 Prospect JP Walker and Lashed I figured I it was the safest bet as I have nowhere near me to buy/try on these boots. I went to the 32 site and looked at the specs for each. The Lashed looked to be an upgraded Prospect so I went with it. It was only about $10 more.

I think I got a pretty good deal on all of it ($377.00). It may not be as cheap as some of the package setups you can get but I think the quality of the gear will meet or exceed the pricepoint.

jmacphee9 thanks a million for the coupon lead at retailmenot.com. It saved me almost 50 bucks!
Old 02-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadwickVM View Post
Its length comes right above my chin so I guess its a bit long for some people who ride park
For future reference, board length depends on weight, not height
markee is offline   Reply With Quote