Bindings- How Cheap Is Too Cheap? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 03:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
New2This

Default Bindings- How Cheap Is Too Cheap?

I finally got a bord (s a gift) and now I just need to complete it with my boots and bindings. I was wondering a) what am I looking for out of binding (im a freerider based off what i've read thus far) b) how much should I look to spend (keep in mind i'm pretty cheap as is?

I was looking at Morrow Men's Dimension Snowboard Bindings which were going for about $60 at Sports Authority. Is this too cheap? Not a good brand in general?

Thanx for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2009, 03:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
junkie28

a) Freeride goes for longer and stiffer board, so also stiffer bindings and boots as well.

b) I'm not too sure about Morrow bindings (if they are cheap companies like Lamar, 247, etc; someone else may be better to point this one out), but a lot of bindings and snowboard equipment are getting discount around this time of the year (mid to late season), 40% to 50% or more, gets cheaper as time goes by, as shops are trying to clear out their inventory.

Bindings do last a really long time, big chunk of metal and hard plastic, I've been told to invest in this, as they can last longer than your board and can be swapped out to a new one. I'm thinking $75 and up with discounts. I think a few weeks ago on Sierra Snowboard they had %50 off bindings and had the Union Force (a really good set of bindings and well regarded on these forums) for $100. Rome Arsenals are also really good freeride bindings.

Go to your local shop and ask, you'll learn a lot about bindings and other stuff too. They might price match something if you find it cheaper else where, too.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
New2This

Thanx for the quick response. I guess I should re-evaluate my board though considering you named it in your list of cheaper boards haha its all good though; I'm just starting out so I'm assuming by the time I actually get good I would be ready to buy a new board anyway.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
13rian

depens on the brand aswel. for intance ull need 2 spend atleast 180$ if u want a decent burton binding. 60$ is really really cheap, im mean too cheap. morrow i considerd as a lower end brand, but if u dont ride to much and only cruze then ull be ok with the morrows (bt theyll still be crap tho)
Old 02-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
ckummer

If you would pay the same for a whore, you are at about the right price point. They do the same thing, keep you stuck to your stick.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

never ever buy your gear at sports authority dunhams sports etc....
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The cheapest bindings you should be looking at are Union Cadet DLX's and Rome Arsenals. Anything cheaper then them is not worth buying.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Get the rome arsenals since your a freerider. They can be had for cheap at this time of the year

2009 Forum Youngblood 155cm (Park)
2009 Burton Cartel Bindings
$ickZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
CapitaBoy

Have you been riding before? You might not even like it or just become a casual day tripper. In this case you could survive on cheaper gear. Most of the people who are on here are enthusiasts, they would NEED something better then entry level. If this is your first board and for that matter first season you might get what you can afford now, trash it while learning and see if you like what the sport has to offer.

That being said make sure your boots fit. That is so key. And like the above statement, don't buy at Sports Authority. No-one there can answer any questions or have valid info on the gear you are purchasing.

Have fun..
Old 02-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

I agree that your primary focus should be on a boot the fits properly and is comfortable for riding all day. For me a full day lift ticket is in the $80 range so spending an extra $100 on a pair of boots to keep my feet happy is well worth it. Uncomfortable feet will ruin your day. There are lots of inexpensive bindings to choose from but do not cheap out on the boots.
Grimdog is offline   Reply With Quote