I am taking my wife snowboarding for he first time today - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 09:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Blue Streak

Default I am taking my wife snowboarding for he first time today

It's going to be so much fun watching her fall on her azz! She is an expert skier (was better than me at skiing and that is one reason I switched to the board - ego i guess )

Anyhow, she isn't going to take a lesson today so I am going to help her out a bit on the basics.

Any advice on what I should focus on first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2009, 09:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Streak View Post
It's going to be so much fun watching her fall on her azz! She is an expert skier (was better than me at skiing and that is one reason I switched to the board - ego i guess )

Anyhow, she isn't going to take a lesson today so I am going to help her out a bit on the basics.

Any advice on what I should focus on first?

Concentrate on her getting a feel for her edges. Stand her up angled accross the hill and have her lean up hill and stay on that edge and ride across the hill. Then spin her so she does it on the other edge and goes back to the other side. That should go pretty quick. Then practice initiating turns. have her go down the hill and do a heelside turn and stop. Then have her do some toesides. That should work haha maybe
mbesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Focus on yourself first. Be patient, patient, patient. Show understanding and respect. Give her lots of positive encouragement no matter how bad she does. Laugh on the inside when she falls, not on the outside.

I've posted this here before: Foster this and you'll have a snowboard buddy for life. I don't know how experienced she is, but a private lesson is also money well spent. Have patience and don't yell at her. I've seen guys literally call their girls bitches, useless fucktards, and many other derogatory things on the slopes while trying to teach them to board, because they're losing patience. That's not how you teach someone to board. Patience, politeness, respect, compassion, and understanding should be your mantra here. It's worth every second of your time once she starts joining you on the slopes.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

patience is definetly the key on your part and hers. makes sure she knows that she is never going to be riding flat based, she will always be on an edge.
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

[QUOTE=MunkySpunk;135243]Focus on yourself first. Be patient, patient, patient. Show understanding and respect. Give her lots of positive encouragement no matter how bad she does. Laugh on the inside when she falls, not on the outside.
QUOTE]

Oh yeah munky here makes a super good point. with the couple people i've helped that is always really tough. It is always like why can't you just do this haha.
mbesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Gepidae

I gotta say, google up "abc snowboarding." They got some great advice for beginners
Old 02-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My advice if you love your wife is to pay for a lesson! I tried to teach my fiancee to snowboard like 4yrs ago and she too was an expert skier prior to making the switch. After the first hour of arguing and her blaming me for not being able to make it down the bunny slope, I decided to pony up and pay for a lesson. Best idea ever and now 4yrs later she is shredding everything I ride with no complaints and we are the happy couple
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Twix

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisevolution View Post
My advice if you love your wife is to pay for a lesson! I tried to teach my fiancee to snowboard like 4yrs ago and she too was an expert skier prior to making the switch. After the first hour of arguing and her blaming me for not being able to make it down the bunny slope, I decided to pony up and pay for a lesson. Best idea ever and now 4yrs later she is shredding everything I ride with no complaints and we are the happy couple
Totally agree! I was in the same boat: Wife was a skier, wanted to snowboard, yada yada yada. After a few days of struggling, she took it upon herself to sign up for a lesson and it was the best $25 spent on a mountain.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Have her take a lesson because it could end up in an argument.
Technine Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

I took my fiance boarding for basically her first time last weekend and by the end of the first day she could make it down the bunny slope doing the "heel side shuffle". She was working on her toe side but kept eating it .

FYI my woman has almost ZERO coordination lol.

Patience is definitely the key and lots of encouragement. Plus if your woman is cool, like mine, she knows she is keeping me from hitting up the rest of the mountain and went in to rest for a hour or so while i could shred. Then back to helping her out. Plus she tired out well before i did so when she was done i was still riding for a few hours after that.

12+ years riding a plank down snow

Bataleon Evil Twin Review:
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/equ...evil-twin.html
darkninja is offline   Reply With Quote