What boards are good for glades - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 05:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
jocuo19

Default What boards are good for glades

Ive been riding for the past 7-8 years. I would say I'm at the advanced level of riding, spending the last 3 seasons primarily at Killington, VT. Im 6ft 195lbs, I ride a 2002 161 Palmer Carbon Circle with flow atv bindings and salomon f22 boots size 11. I love my board its real fast on packed snow, but in powder over 8 inches it gets difficult to keep afloat. Its a very stiff board. Over the past few years ive been spending a lot of time riding in the trees, often times in deep pow. Im looking for a board that will help keep me afloat in the pow and is best for riding through trees. Any suggestions on specific boards or types of boards?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2009, 05:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

it sounds like a rocker is 100% what your looking for. k2 gyrator is a good one to look at.
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocuo19 View Post
Im looking for a board that will help keep me afloat in the pow and is best for riding through trees. Any suggestions on specific boards or types of boards?

I've owned a Burton Malolo for three seasons and take it out when it snows 6+ inches. IMO, it's outstanding in the powder. I weigh 170 and purchased a 158, perhaps a little short for my weight, but the shorter board turns quickly between tight trees/steeps, yet still floats me in the powder.
The Malolo(and me)are also at home just plain ripping a big steep powder line through an open bowl, although a longer board would be better for this kind of riding. It also rides the groomers very well, but that's not where I like to ride it. One bad thing about the Malolo, it doesn't handle the crud very well, but then it's not designed for that..

The main deal with the Malolo is the narrow tail and set back binding mounts designed to keep the tip from diving into the snow. Similarly designed "powder specific" boards are also offered by most other manufacturers.

Good Riding
1stTrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd suggest a Bataleon Undisputed or Arbor A-Frame.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I also would recommend the Bataleon Undisputed. I have the 163 and it's sick. My everyday stick is a Bataleon Enemy 157. Extra length is crucial don't go too short or it's a waste of money.
tonicusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

a really deep rocker like the gyrator is much more ideal for glades then any bataleon.it allows you to go shorter and have extremely quick maneveurability, and still float on top of the pow.
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote