Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Burton Board 3 Screw Set Up?? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/13925-burton-board-3-screw-set-up.html)

Lians60 02-26-2009 05:39 PM

Burton Board 3 Screw Set Up??

I never understood why they decided to do this. Are there any benefits in any way? i feel you just lost another screw which keeps you bolted on your board.

jmacphee9 02-26-2009 05:41 PM

the main reason is too make more money, i think it offers a tad more adjustability though..

13rian 02-27-2009 06:11 AM

they say it has more adjustability but i dont think anytone ever thought "crap my 4 hole bolds dont give enough adjustability, i need 3 hole" iv never anyway, its just stupit, but that burton for you.
theyd rather make money than make a good board. same with ICS/EST tho that does actually work..

stevetim 02-27-2009 09:12 AM

I don't know if it's about more adjustability.

It gives you maybe the same amount of tweaking with....less holes drilled into your deck. Less holes = less weakness in the areas the holes sit. But, that's just how I interpret a reason they may have done the 3d pattern.

Stevo22 02-27-2009 09:19 AM

It is marketing scheme used to make you more likely to by Burton bindings since they already come with the three hole binding plates. Some companies it cost extra to get those or they have to be ordered separately.

mike v 02-27-2009 09:33 AM

Exactly what everyone has been saying, Burton is hoping that when you buy a board with the three hole pattern you decide to go with burton bindings instead of looking around for bindings that will match up to the pattern, and might cost a little exrta to get the base plate.

13rian 02-27-2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevetim (Post 135882)

It gives you maybe the same amount of tweaking with....less holes drilled into your deck. Less holes = less weakness in the areas the holes sit. But, that's just how I interpret a reason they may have done the 3d pattern.

i havent heard that before but it sounds reaseneble.

its still def for th money though

zackoz 02-27-2009 09:36 PM

Every snowboard company operates for money.... none are non-profit!
Some are just much more globalized, such as burton, but then burton also offer, a lot of money BACK to the snowboard community, through "The Stash" and mountain sponsorship. At the end of the day its all business.
I agree it is a brilliant marketing strategy, but saying that, its not a pure waste of money, you do get more options, you are putting less stress on the board, (look at wat happens to a skateboard without riserpads, a snowboard gets the same stress.
as well a triangle pattern of stressing, is far more tollerant than a square (look at building engineering eg bridges).

I belive its marketing, just opening up the other side of the debate, you still can use other bindings, and most stores have the conversion plates in stock.

Enigmatic 03-03-2009 11:17 PM

can anyone link me to some conversion plates? I'm strugglin...

arsenic0 03-03-2009 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevetim (Post 135882)

That would be the stupidest reason ever. I have never heard of someone anywhere saying, you know what..if only i had 1 less bolt hole my board wouldnt suck so bad.

As others said its because they can make money. 3 holes means people that dont no better, or shady salesmen make people think they need Burton bindings that come with 3 holes, and that only burton boots fit into burton bindings properly...

Next thing you know they are selling them 400 dollar Burton Goretex jackets(not to say i dont like Goretex, i own a Mtn hardware Goretex jacket) and 200 dollar pants and whala your now a gaper for the low low price of 1500 dollars.

As for conversion plates, email or phone your binding manufacturer most will send them too you free.