Best Smith lens for NW conditions? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
earlvb

Default Best Smith lens for NW conditions?

I'm looking for a lens for my goggles. I think I actually have it narrowed down to these: the sensor mirror or the gold sensor mirror. Has anyone used both of them? I'm in Washington state, so I ride in overcast, gray, flat light most of the time.

I've used the sensor mirror before, and loved it. It seems to help define the features in most conditions. It also seemed to perform well for me when we had clear skys with some sun. There was some glare, but I wasn't squinting. Does anyone know how the gold sensor compares? Smith's description is so similar, except they describe the sensor with max color definition with depth perception in flat light and the gold enhances color definition with depth perception in low light. Any thoughts? Here's the Descriptions:

Sensor Mirror: Light rose base lens tint with a multi-layer mirror maximizes color definition and increases depth perception in varying levels of flat light conditions. 70% VLT

Gold Sensor Mirror: Light rose base lens tint with a multi-layer Gold Sensor Mirror enhances color definition and increases depth perception in varying levels of low-light conditions. 70% VLT.

Also, does anyone know how a normal vented Smith lens works in a turbo fan goggle? Do the two technologies work against each other? thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Finally..someone who doesnt want to buy Iridium or some other 30% Light transmission lenses for riding in no light...
Living in Oregon we have more or less the same conditions..i use a Persimmon lense in my Burtons which have 66ish% Light transmission and they work fine.

Reading the descriptions of those lenses they look more or less identical..i checked the price to see if one was more "high end" and they are both sold for 45 for the lens...

I dont think you could go wrong with either..i'd go with the Sensor Mirror myself..."maximize" is better than "enhance"..? I guess? lol
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote