is my board ruined? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question is my board ruined?

ive just recently got into snowboarding and i just got my own board (a burton deuce). the guy at the shop i bought it from said i didnt need to get it waxed and i should get it waxed after 4 times of use. so i didnt wax it and i went and used it. the conditions were kind of icy and i noticed the edges on the board were getting rele white and by the end of the day they were completely white. they are smooth but they are really white. i had a cheap board i bought before this one and the same thing happened only the edges were just roughed up. when i took it to the shop they said that board was ruined. now im afraid my new board is ruined and i only used it once. i spent alot on it and i dont want it to be ruined or the performance to be affected in any way. any advice would be a great help. plus any tips for waxing it would be helpful too as im gonna try waxing it myself. is there anything i can do to prevent this from happening again?
Frstimeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2009, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
CapitaBoy

Never seen that. Can you post pictures?
Old 02-26-2009, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frstimeboarder View Post
ive just recently got into snowboarding and i just got my own board (a burton deuce). the guy at the shop i bought it from said i didnt need to get it waxed and i should get it waxed after 4 times of use. so i didnt wax it and i went and used it. the conditions were kind of icy and i noticed the edges on the board were getting rele white and by the end of the day they were completely white. they are smooth but they are really white. i had a cheap board i bought before this one and the same thing happened only the edges were just roughed up. when i took it to the shop they said that board was ruined. now im afraid my new board is ruined and i only used it once. i spent alot on it and i dont want it to be ruined or the performance to be affected in any way. any advice would be a great help. plus any tips for waxing it would be helpful too as im gonna try waxing it myself. is there anything i can do to prevent this from happening again?
Factory wax sucks in my opinion. Sounds like you have edge burn. Just do a maintenance on your board. Give it a good waxing and it should be fine. I never trust the factory waxing.
For waxing and general maint tips read through this thread

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/gen...ance-tips.html
Or
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/gen...rd-repair.html

www.facebook.com/Gillyssnowboardshop

Last edited by B.Gilly; 02-26-2009 at 08:09 PM.
B.Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

no just wax it up, the color will come back...factory wax is awful though
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

lets see some pics!
Old 02-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

thanks for the replys and here are some pics of my board hopefully you can see the edges. the pictures arent the best as they are from my phone but u can kinda see how white they are.

0226092108 6666.JPG

0226092108a 1111.JPG

0226092109a 2222.JPG
Old 02-26-2009, 08:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

They told you thats ruined? Seriously? Never talk to those people again.
Go buy yourself a iron at good will for 2 bucks, grab some aluminum foil and wrap it so its smooth around the iron..go buy a 10 dollar chunk of wax, watch Snowolfs Youtube videos on how to wax and do it yourself

Its retardedly easy, if you can iron clothes you can wax..just dont sit the iron on the board in the same spot, keep it moving around.
Once you get good at waxing you can do a good wax in about 15-20 minutes of actual work(takes longer since you need to let it sit for awhile after putting it on to let it absorb in..)

Real wax probably wouldnt have done that in 1 trip, unless it was really icy out..even then it'd be hard...
Just wax, or atleast a bit of wax every few trips and you should be fine...
I tend to do one full wax every month or so, with just "touch-up" wax's along the edges every few trips...wax is so cheap...

Last edited by arsenic0; 02-26-2009 at 08:37 PM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

thanks for the reply and the advice. im gonna wax my board as soon as i can. i spent quite a bit on the board and bindings so i want to keep it in the best shape i can. ill prob start waxing it after every few trips cuz its been pretty icy. thanks again
Old 02-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Your board is fine just wax it. If you are on icy conditions a lot you will want to wax more. Ice really dries out your base. Get into a regular waxing routine if you deal with ice a lot. I wax every week but I deal with very icy conditions. For the price of getting a shop to wax your board you can do it yourself a couple times over. It is pretty easy.

And welcome to the board. Hope you enjoy your new ride.

What area do you ride in?

www.facebook.com/Gillyssnowboardshop
B.Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The guy who sold you that must have just used a quick paste wax to make the base look nice. It's not ruined at all. Just do what everyone else is saying - hot wax it. It makes a mess, so don't do it on Mom's carpet.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote