Powder/Tree/Backcountry board advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Powder/Tree/Backcountry board advice

Been lurking for a while and reading advice on powder boards. I, too, am looking for a powder board, but I really want something quick turning and with some decent pop for backcountry hits. I'm willing to sacrifice a little float and stability for the later. I'm not looking for a point-and-shoot powder board for charging straight down. I like to have fun in the trees and get air off the beaten path.

These are the current boards I'm looking at:
  • Prior Khyber
  • Yes Pick Your Line
  • Lib Tech La Nina MC

Current leader is the La Nina, but I haven't been able to find too many reviews of the Khyber. Any advice?

Edit: I'm 5'8" and weigh 160-163 with resort gear, make that 170-175 for a backcountry day. Any sizing advice would be great to.

Last edited by akzuma; 04-30-2014 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Added sizing info
akzuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

I bought the Ride Slack Country UL. Honestly I couldn't be happier with my choice. It floats like a dream in powder (only have to move back about an inch of center to make it float through anything) and it handles great on the regular groomed trails. Pop is okay, not like a park/pipe board but way better than an all mountain board. Just make sure you buy the right size for your weight.

IE: Your body weight + bindings + boots + body armor/helmet + snowboard jacket/pants/gloves/googles and if you ride w/ a back back w/ stuff in it, etc...

Alot of people just go "I weight 160lbs and look at the weight chart and buy the one that fits. If the ranges over lap and your in the center of the range go with the larger board.

The point of a powder board is to float like a feather, not sink like a rock.. lol
VincentOlenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

ow.. just remembered.. the ride slack country top sheet is like indestructible and you won't need a stomp pad.. just something to think about. It uses some "hemp brain technology" which looks like hemp strands in a carbon fiber weave pattern. At first I laughed at it, but honestly it really does hold up. I could've done with out the highlighter colors on the board, but I didn't pick it because it's pretty, I picked it because it performs.

I use graphite wax on the bottom because it dries extra hard.. So hitting rocks doesn't take big chunks out of the base of my board.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'll checkout the slack country, thanks! Also, edited my original post to add my size and weight.
akzuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akzuma View Post
Been lurking for a while and reading advice on powder boards. I, too, am looking for a powder board, but I really want something quick turning and with some decent pop for backcountry hits. I'm willing to sacrifice a little float and stability for the later. I'm not looking for a point-and-shoot powder board for charging straight down. I like to have fun in the trees and get air off the beaten path.

These are the current boards I'm looking at:
  • Prior Khyber
  • Yes Pick Your Line
  • Lib Tech La Nina MC

Current leader is the La Nina, but I haven't been able to find too many reviews of the Khyber. Any advice?

Edit: I'm 5'8" and weigh 160-163 with resort gear, make that 170-175 for a backcountry day. Any sizing advice would be great to.
Endeavor Live 2014. And sacrifice none o that.
F1EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ride Slackcountry Snowboard | Backcountry.com

there is a blue link that says "size?". click that and it brings up the size to weight chart. I'd go with a 163 and you'd be good.

this board has a big scoop on the tip and tail, and the contact points (edges that help you make turns in the packed stuff) are several inches back.
That's a damn good price too. They sell these things at the ski shops in Tahoe for like 700/piece.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

just keep in mind that the size chart is not the same for all boards.. so if you start comparing other model boards you'll need to look at the size chart that is specific to that board.

Years ago the rule of thumb was board length should be between your nose and chin. Now it's all over the place with the "technology" in the boards. So it's best to see the manufacturers specs.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah, as DCSnow is saying, the Slackcoutry... or Bezerker would be good options too.

As a side note: I really like the Ride Capos.

Last edited by F1EA; 04-30-2014 at 09:10 PM.
F1EA is offline   Reply With Quote