New women's board - Jones vs Rome vs others - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New women's board - Jones vs Rome vs others

Hi all - I'm new here, been researching like crazy, reading reviews and hoping to get some feedback on a new board purchase.

Ht/Wt: 5' 7"/143+/-
Boot: 9 Salomon Ivy
Riding: 12 yrs, Intermediate+, East Coast - NY/VT/West each year, groomers, trees, powder when weíre lucky and moguls
Current Setups: 06-07 Rome Blue 155 and 07-08 Capita Saturnia 149. Both w/Rome Madison bindings (might look to change those too).

When I first got the Blue, I was 50lbs+ heavier. Loved that board - stable, fast and carved great. I feel I don't have the power behind me that it needs to be a fun responsive ride. I want a fun board, easily maneuverable (trees/moguls) and a good carver w/some edge hold. Not big into park, but still like popping 180's off a bump or hitting some S/M jumps. Iím not bombing every run, but want to keep up w/fiance without feeling like a mixed paint can at the hardware store, then have to bitch out and slow down (riding the Capita). No rocker experience (except 1 run - Rome Mod Rocker), but I'm open to it and feel confident I can adapt rather easily. I've used thegoodride [dot] com to narrow down choices:

Jones Twin Sister 152 - Is it fun in the trees? R/C/R should carve great and float okay, mellow mag, resolved durability issues? Iíve found a few reviewers says itís chattery, but seems okay for my riding style. Less effective edge than the Gold below though...

Rome Gold 155 - QuickRip has edge hold for east coast, fun carving for a C/R/C hybrid - thegoodride calls this a more playful Blue...great in pow is a plus for out west or northern VT

Lib Tech TRS 151N or 154N - I still canít shake this one I think because I love the graphics. Quick and fun and still carves decently. May be a tad stiffer than womenís boards on my list since itís really a guys board, not sure?

Roxy Eminence (same C2 BTX as GNU B-Pro, but not a my little pony fan)

Someone mentioned the Nitro Fate to me (cambered Iím sure), looks like a nice all-mtn, probably similar (but softer?) to the Rome Mod Rocker if itís the Zero version. Thought about the Rossignol Diva...probably closer to my Blue than Iíd like based on my reading here.

Magnetraction - back when I was riding more, teaching and taking clinics, my edge control/ice confidence was way better than it is now. Worried full on mag (TRS/Eminence) will make me a lazy snowboarder, but then again, it could make shitty east coast days/runs more fun...

Seriously, any insight will be appreciated, I obviously need it. Crap that was long. My apologies.
silentsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2014, 06:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

First off: welcome! Not many women active on this board, unfortunately. Can't help with any of the boards on your list since I havent ridden any of them. Hope, EatRideSleep or Noreaster will chime in...

Just some general comments: be careful with reviews of thegoodride. The site is good to get a general idea of boards, but the actual reviews can be a copy/paste mess (just read the review of the Jones Flagship and then of the Jones Mothership and you'll know what I mean).

Considering durability of Jones boards: I've three different models from '13 and '14, two with wooden top sheet, and they are very durable, base as well as top sheet. I've read as well about issues in older models, but I guess they improved quality.

Considering edge hold: I've a good old pure camber, a newer ride RCR without magne and some Jones RCR (tho not the MountainTwin) with mellow mag. The plus on edgehold is recognizable a lot, even if "only" mellow mag: the 156 Jones has better edgehold than the 159.5 camber with way longer effective edge. So if you ride ice a lot, it's well worth to look into boards with mag. More edgehold on ice won't make you lazy, but more confident and as such improve to keep up w/ the SO

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale

Last edited by neni; 05-02-2014 at 06:29 AM.
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

This year's B-pro has a different graphic. Some kind of Hokusai knockoff.
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Neni loves her some Jones. They should be giving you free boards next season for all the love you send their way. Wife swears by magnetraction, and this year I bought her a ladies choice which is c2 and asym and it's made a huge difference in her riding. That was coming from a camber eminence. I think any 152ish c2 will be fun for you.
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

If I wasn't still an intermediate/beginner I'd chime in but didn't even get to board this winter... though I'd like to follow this post as a fellow NE rider.
Optikal_Illuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinbend View Post
Neni loves her some Jones. They should be giving you free boards next season for all the love you send their way.
Haha, ridinbend, that would be a nice idea. But it's actually the other way around (not "me getting free stuff for buying boards", but rather "me buying boards for getting free stuff"): Nidecker was very helpful with organizing Jones demo decks -> the decks were good -> decks were bought -> since the decks were good, also the split versions were bought. So it all began with getting free demos.

So yes, since there are fife of them in our shed, but e.g. only one Ride, I estimate to comment fife times more often on Jones than on Ride - just matter of numbers. I don't say that other boards wouldn't be great as well (actually much love also spread for Burton, Ride and NS models I've ridden ) but as I won't comment on what I haven't tried, from OPs list of questions, the Jones part was the only thing I could cover.

Wasn't meant as "absolutely get a Jones" but rather as "mellow mag > no mag; and no issues experienced with quality". Sorry, if this wasn't clear enough.

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fire on Ice...and Powder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinbend View Post
Wife swears by magnetraction, and this year I bought her a ladies choice which is c2 and asym and it's made a huge difference in her riding. That was coming from a camber eminence. I think any 152ish c2 will be fun for you.
I'd just add that magnetraction works well for me on the ice coast. I don't feel it makes me lazy, it gives better grip than pretty much any other side cut so you control the board better.

Also, I have ridden the TRS in both C2 and the new XC2 profiles.
IMO the XC2 is MUCH better for stability and carving while maintaining the playful, freestyle aspect of the rocker between the feet. The XC2 profile is the way to go.
GreyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have magnetraction on my newest deck and I still have it "catch" every once in awhile when I least expect it to. I'd like to from hear someone who's ridden full mag and mello mag to see if they noticed much of a difference.
PalmerFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Fire on Ice...and Powder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerFreak View Post
I have magnetraction on my newest deck and I still have it "catch" every once in awhile when I least expect it to. I'd like to from hear someone who's ridden full mag and mello mag to see if they noticed much of a difference.
Yup.
Ridden the 2014 Attack Banana with Mag .5.
No thanks.

But I like solid edge grip for where I ride.
If full mag is catchy for you, Mag .5 is probably a good option.
GreyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

While I like the Jones boards I dint think they're right fit you in this case. They tend to ride a little harsh in that they aren't a very damp ride. You'll feel everything you're riding over and vibrations and whatnot.

Anything Mervin, ride it first. Magne is love/hate.

I really have no bearing on Rome. I've ridden a couple of their decks recently and not one was bad, but I just don't have any kind of lengthy experience. Can't really help there.

I would really look into the Flow Canvas. Basically a women's Rush which is one of the best all mountain twins I've ridden in the recent years.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
all mountain, east coast, jones, rome