Another noob with equipment questions... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 12:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
vierka

Question Another noob with equipment questions...

Weight 143 lbs
Height 153 cm / 5'1"
Boot size 6 (women)
Riding style (do you like to charge steeps? Spin 7's/9's, ride groomers?) Beginner / All Mountain
Age (are you still growing and puttin on weight?) Not growing and hopefully losing weight...
Budget (if you have one) I cannot really affod more than $300 CAD for boots, bindings and board
Your location of riding - Ontario, Canada

From reading the different articles and guides on the forum (they're great help, THANKS!), it seems I should buy about 145 cm board, right?
140-150 lbs --- 145-155 CM board

What do you think of this used Flow MK-4 bindings (size M), FLOW BINDINGS MK-4 size M - Toronto Sports Goods For Sale - Kijiji Toronto ? The guy wants $75 CAD for them...

I'll probably buy the board and boots new (hard to find used in my size). I've checked out couple of stores, and I found some women's boards Morrow, K2 and Sims at about the same price ($100 CAD) in a store near me.

Morrow MANTRA: Morrow Snowboards 0809 _ Boards _ Mantra
DESCRIPTION:
THE MANTRA IS FUN AND EFFORTLESS TO RIDE. IT'S IDEAL FOR LADIES WHO ARE LOOKING TO PUSH THEIR RIDING TO THE NEXT LEVEL.
_Directional shape for progressive all-mountain performance
_360° 3D Structural cap provides strength and responsiveness
_360° Edge protection, the strongest edge around
_Full-length Performance Core™ for a smooth, responsive ride
_1000-Grade extruded die-cut base goes fast and tunes faster
_Narrower waist for better female fit and performance
_Mirror finish protective coating

K2 Moment Snowboard - Women's 2009
K2 Moment Snowboard - Women's 2009 : Snowboards | evo

Dual Progressive Shape: Mistake friendly forgiving sidecut
W1 core – pure light wood core!
Glass:Biax Top and Base 3 degree Bevel
2000 extruded base: Fast, durable, easy to repair and tune Beginning-Intermediate
Ability Level Beginner - Intermediate
Dims: Tip 27.33cm (138), 27.56cm (142), 28.02cm (146), 28.30cm (150), 28.59cm (154)
Dims: Waist 23.2cm (138), 23.4cm (142), 23.6cm (146), 23.8cm (150), 24cm (154)
Dims: Tail 27.23cm (138), 27.46cm (142), 27.92cm (146), 28.2cm (150), 28.48cm (154)
Effective Edge 108.34cm (138), 111.18cm (142), 116.26cm (146), 118.8cm (150), 121.34cm (154)
Rider Weight -130lbs (138), 90-160lbs (142), 100-170lbs (146), 110-180lbs (150), 120+lbs (154)
Sidecut Radius 7.1m (138), 7.3m (142), 7.5m (146), 7.7m (150), 7.9m (154)
Stance ¾” Back
Width Regular

I saw LAMAR as well: The one I remember seeing is actually junior and they were seling it as women's, so that wouldn't be for me I'm guessing...
SIMS: I was at their website, but don't see the board they had in store.

From their selection of boots it was also Sims, Morrow and Lamar. Do any of these stand out in terms of quality, beginner needs, etc.?

I'm not sure whether I should go ahead and buy (even though I don't have too much $) or keep renting since who knows how many more weekends can I go snowboarding this year and buy next season? I do like snowboarding, but I'm at the stage where I feel like I haven't learned much and am flat on the ground most of the time...

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by vierka; 02-27-2009 at 01:05 PM. Reason: missing info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2009, 12:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

stop shopping at sports authority or the canadian equivalant. almost all sites are having wicked sales right now.
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
SnowBun

Welcome to the forums!!!!!

For boots, you definitely do not want to go for the cheap stuff. I'm a girl, and I can honestly tell you, cheap boots = cold toes, heel lift, etc. You absolutely have to spend some money and go for quality. Be sure to try on all the boots in the store (yeah, sounds insane) and figure out what fits you best. Bad boots will get you nowhere and you will only be miserable all day.

Right now, online retailers are having crazy sales, so check those out (evogear.com, sierrasnowboard.com).

145-146 seems to be about right for you taking your height and weight into account.

It all depends on how serious you are about the sport, and how much riding you want to do for next season. If you want to go 1-3 times a season, it doesn't matter which board you are going to have. But since you are posting this, it seems like you do want to get into it a lot more, so I would probably recommend you look into some better quality boards - you want to be able to progress into your board and use it for a couple of seasons. I personally ride a Rome Vinyl 146, and I couldn't be happier with it. It's a great beginner/intermediate board, so you can definitely check it out.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
vierka

Thanks! I do want check out some websites - but as you said, for the boots it's best to try them on, right?
Old 02-27-2009, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Getting an entire setup for the equivilent of 230 USD is going to be tough.

Personally i would do this:

As Snowbun mentioned go into a store(sports authority or your equivilent) and try on as many boots as you can to find the one that fits your foot like a glove. Try not to pay TOO Much attention to price, within reason obviously...then go home and find those boots online on sale...you should have no issues even now, as womens gear typically stays around a lot longer on sale due to not as many buying. Expect to spend around 100ish USD on a good pair of boots that will last you a while. Do *NOT* buy boots you have not tried on in a store somewhere, snowboard boots arent all sized the same and everyones feet are shaped differently with high arches, long toes, etc so while a Burton boot fits my foot like a glove some other boots have my small toe jammed into the side..
Also if possible while trying on boots if they arent already, ask to try on new pairs from the box. Some people just try on the demo pairs and they fit fine, only to get a pair and realize they dont fit right because 50 people havent jammed their giant feet into them like the demos they tried.

For males i would typically say buy a used board/binding combo, as you can find them everywhere for pretty cheap, not so sure on womens gear...craigslist or ebay may be your best bet.

Lamar/LTD/Sims/Morrow are all bottom of the barrel in terms of quality. If you have to get a peice of their gear to save cash i would say board. Their boots will make you hate life, and their bindings will break the instant you fall wrong. Their boards arent great, they wont be fast or go through choppy snow good but they will definately get you down the mountain and let you learn the basics.

Last edited by arsenic0; 02-27-2009 at 12:59 PM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
SnowBun

Absolutely!!!! You can always try them on, write down the Brand/Model/Size and go home to see if you can find them cheaper

how often do you plan to go riding next season? And I would definitely recommend getting a setup now, so you don't spend any more money on horrible rentals

When looking for a board, try looking for one that is a twin (almost twin, directional twin, true twin) so that it will be easier to ride switch later on. Do you know what length of board you rent now?

Oh, as a side note, I would highly recommend getting some wrist guards and knee pads (if you don't already have). The wrist guards really protect your wrists from injury and knee pads make falling down easier to handle (I used to get black and blues on my kness for weeks at a time, and I barely get any now). Get a helmet too, you don't want to get a concussion (as a beginner you fall down alot).
Old 02-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
SnowBun

damn arsenic, you posted what I said!

Unless you really do your research, don't go for Craigslist. You need to know what kind of board they are talking about before you go ahead and take it off their hands.

I recommend you post up more of your findings, and we will greatly help you weed through the nonsense
Old 02-27-2009, 01:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBun View Post
damn arsenic, you posted what I said!
Im ninja like that..
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
SnowBun

boots are your number 1 priority. The other stuff can be saved on, but you definitely need to dish out some dough for them.

Check out the Rome boards - I love my Vinyl (what I learned on).
Old 02-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
vierka

You guys / girls are awesome! What do you think of K2 board and Flow bindings? Tonight will be boot trying project!