New board advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 06:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Smile New board advice

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have spent the past week or so doing a lot of online research on what my next board is going to be and it would be good to get some advice, here is a little bit about me:

Im a 'female' rider I have been riding for about 3-4 seasons now (grew up skiing until i switched to boarding about 6 years ago), im not 100% sure on my skill level but I can link turns and i'm pretty confident going down most slope's.. the Intermediate description here describes me pretty well, also im looking for an all mountain freestyle board:
Snowboarding Ability Levels

Im currently looking to upgrade from my first board which is a Technine classic 157. I have large shoe size so I need to look at mens boards i have size 10us Mens Burton boots. Im also on the heavier side around 190lbs so again i need a Men's board.

I first had my eyes set on the 'Lib tech TRS C2 BTX'.. however im not sure if this board is to advanced for me?.. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

My other choices which i am considering are:

- CARBON CREDIT BTX, however the design i don't like and I don't really want another beginner board.

- Lib Tech Riders Choice

These are the only ones I can see that are good board's and have good tech and I can use to advance more, I don't really have a budget I just want to get a good board that will last me a good few seasons. Any other board suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Ecila.
ecila is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2014, 09:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Resident poet

154.5 rider's choice would be my choice...at 12 seasons and 180#
Old 05-04-2014, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Where are you riding at? The icy east coast, out west with a lot of pow? Areas you plan on riding or mainly ride at would help out a lot.

What do you plan on doing with the board such as riding on groomers, moguls, glades, bombing down a mountain as fast as you can, etc?
Simon Birch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for your reply!

Riding Australia slopes mainly might pop back over to NZ at some stage not really a lot of pow over here... lately its been spring snow conditions and groomers (can get icy often).

I plan on riding mostly groomers, not much of a speed freak but when i become more advanced i will probably be trying to as you say 'bombing down a mountain as fast as you can'.. i would like to try some back country and pow if we ever get any good dumps over here. But for the moment mostly groomers.

Also thought id add my height which i forgot to post: 5'6 (169cm).

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2014, 09:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecila View Post
Thanks for your reply!

Riding Australia slopes mainly might pop back over to NZ at some stage not really a lot of pow over here... lately its been spring snow conditions and groomers (can get icy often).

I plan on riding mostly groomers, not much of a speed freak but when i become more advanced i will probably be trying to as you say 'bombing down a mountain as fast as you can'.. i would like to try some back country and pow if we ever get any good dumps over here. But for the moment mostly groomers.

Also thought id add my height which i forgot to post: 5'6 (169cm).

Thanks!
Sounds like you're looking for a all mountain board that can hold a edge on ice, your conditions sound a lot like the east coast in the USA. The Lib tech TRS C2 BTX won't be too advanced for you, after a day or maybe two you'll get used to the camber/rocker/camber profile and the magne-traction will help on the ice. Below are a few suggestions I was looking at getting when I was board shopping for something similar.

Lib Tech Hot Knife (camber/rocker/camber)
Lib Tech Darker Series (camber/rocker/camber and stiffer)
Never Summer SL (camber/rocker/camber)
Never Summer Proto (camber/rocker/camber)
Yes- Pick Your Line (rocker/camber/rocker and not a pow board but floats great on it according to a lot of reviews here)
Jones flagship (rocker/camber/rocker and stiffer)
Rossi Templar (rocker/camber/rocker and stiffer)
Rossi One Magtek (rocker/camber/rocker and stiffer)

You could also look into a fully cambered board as well.
Simon Birch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Haven't ridden the other boards mentioned, but surely scratch the Flagship from the list. Not the board you're looking for

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
Haven't ridden the other boards mentioned, but surely scratch the Flagship from the list. Not the board you're looking for
yep I can scratch the Yes pick your line off that list as well, I'm in NZ and its expensive and is pretty hard out board for beginner level!! Same with lib tech dark series.
AntipodeanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

if its a great board why wouldnt one want to learn on it?
ItchEtrigR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Boards that are difficult to ride can hinder a beginner's development.

That said I would think an intermediate rider with a few seasons under their belt can get whatever they want
Manicmouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Well I wouldn't class myself as a beginner, over the years I have had a few lessons and the last two were not at beginner level I can turn confidently at average speed and link the next turn... i suppose im just not as confident picking the places where i want to turn yet, that might make me still at beginner level still in not sure?

As far as the type of board goes I really dont want a noodle i know the GNU Carbon Credit has been labelled as that in a few reviews and its more of a park and freestyle board rather than an all mountain. The board i currently have is old pretty stiff and i don't think it is something that is going to help me progress as a snowboarder. At the same time I dont want to get the TRS if its going to be even worse than my current board as far as being able to progress.

I just don't see any other all mountain boards that have good reviews and have good tech that are more suited to my riding level.

On that note does anyone know if the TRS Horsepower would be better? They say its lighter and has more flex 'saying' its more playful?... I might be wrong but wouldn't that make it easier for a lower end Intermediate rider or am i completely wrong?

From Simons post the other two which I have also considered are (but i still keep coming back to the TRS):

Never Summer SL (camber/rocker/camber)
Never Summer Proto (camber/rocker/camber)

Tags
gnu, lib tech, trs, trs libtech