Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Can a woman ride a men's board? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/139673-can-woman-ride-mens-board.html)

ListenUp 05-04-2014 05:48 PM

Can a woman ride a men's board?
 
Hey guys, I'm 5'7, 135 pounds, and I'm looking at some men's and woman's boards. I wonder if there's such a big difference with men's boards compared to woman. I'm not a beginner,I've been riding for about four years, and I need a new board. I have a 2010/2011 Women's 144cm Burton Feather. I'm looking for something a little but more stable to control at higher speeds.
So is it wise to get a men's board?

Manicmouse 05-04-2014 06:03 PM

I'd check out what all the sponsored ladies are riding in the top teams.

I don't see why women couldn't ride a men's board if it was the right size for them.

My wife learnt on a Burton Feather too, very much a beginner board so it's a great move to upgrade! You'll never want to see an extruded base and capped board again :) (FYI she's now riding a 2012 Rome LoFi)

Kevin137 05-04-2014 06:18 PM

It's more to do with weight not height, then the stiffness of the board, but look at anything from large kids boards, to small adult mens boards.

Depending on how big you want to go there are loads to choose from, Neni would probably have the best answer for you... ;)

wrathfuldeity 05-04-2014 07:42 PM

ya can...

but imho...I'm a guy that rides a women's board...because I gotz size 7 feets and wear women's 7.5-8 focus boas.

the factor is foot/boot size and the flex rating and your weight. At your weight ur a bit light for a guys board. idk your foot/boot size but its important for edge to edge response....if your foot is too small for the width...it will be very sluggish and cumbersome.

Oldman 05-04-2014 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity (Post 1705697)
ya can...

the factor is foot/boot size and the flex rating and your weight. At your weight ur a bit light for a guys board.

+1

A 144 sounds a little small for you. :dunno:

But if you do consider looking at small sized men's board, remember that "in general" they will be stiffer than a similarly sized women's board.

I would suggest you take the time to get out and demo some guys boards and see for yourself if they feel right to you.

freshy 05-04-2014 08:49 PM

Yes, my wife used to rip up the hill on her 155 Timeless. You don't need to believe the marketing, if the boards fits with your style of riding you will enjoy it.

AntipodeanSam 05-04-2014 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ListenUp (Post 1705601)
Hey guys, I'm 5'7, 135 pounds, and I'm looking at some men's and woman's boards. I wonder if there's such a big difference with men's boards compared to woman. I'm not a beginner,I've been riding for about four years, and I need a new board. I have a 2010/2011 Women's 144cm Burton Feather. I'm looking for something a little but more stable to control at higher speeds.
So is it wise to get a men's board?

My partner has similar stats to you and rides she moved up from a 144cm feather to a 149cm feelgood and loves it, much more stable at speed. My sister also similar stats rides a NS Lotus (now the Raven I think, don't quote me on that) which she also loves, stiffer ride and more stable, both will be a fairly less forgiving ride than the feather though

ListenUp 05-04-2014 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldman (Post 1705745)
+1

A 144 sounds a little small for you. :dunno:

Yeah, that's part of the reason I need a new board, I got my board when I was like 12 and I've grown a bit since then...

ThredJack 05-04-2014 09:51 PM

I don't see why a woman can't ride a men's board(or a man a women's), as long as the board fits their style, and feels comfortable to them. If it works for you, and you don't mind the "manlier" graphics, go for it.

Lamps 05-05-2014 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThredJack (Post 1705857)
I don't see why a woman can't ride a men's board(or a man a women's), as long as the board fits their style, and feels comfortable to them. If it works for you, and you don't mind the "manlier" graphics, go for it.

I agree, it's the board flex you want to match to your weight. However there are tons of great womens boards out there. Burton feelgood in camber will be way more stable than the feather.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2