Flexy vs stiff - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Flexy vs stiff

I just want to say thanks to all you guys...I've learned so much in this past week or so reading these forums I can't wait to get back out on the snow tomorrow. Anyway I had a couple questions. I just got a new setup (burton deuce 159 and burton cartels). I was using rentals before then so its a huge step up. I've been working on my riding mostly but have just gotten into rails (did my first rail ever last week 5050 on a kinked rail). I didn't know much about snowboarding when I got my board really so I'm wondering how the deuce is for things like freestyle/jibbing. I'm a bit affraid of trying boardslides for fear of the edge catch. I guess I have the option of detuning the edges or just buying a park board next season. I don't really know what kind of effect that would have on my normal riding (mostly groomers) if I did that though.
I also don't really know where it stands as far as flexibility (compared to park specific boards) which brings me to my main question...what differences do you get between a stiff board and a super flexible board?
OhioHillBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mpagano9

To a large extent, it depends on what you're doing with that flex/stiff board. In general, the faster a board goes the less stable it becomes. This can be countered by a) lengthening the board and b) stiffening the board.

When you're talking about hitting big kickers, a little stiffness in the board will help you take off cleanly and land with less reverberation coming through the board and your legs.

With jibbing surfaces, flexible boards allow you to "grab" the rail or box more easily. Try balancing a pencil on your finger and then try balancing and cable or rope on your finger. That's hugely exaggerated, but seeing the ends of a spectrum help us understand the shades inbetween.

When it comes to jumping or ollieing, you need to strike a delicate balance. Too soft and the board won't be able to convert potential energy into kinetic energy. This is where the pop comes from when you jump. Too stiff and you won't have enough strength to bend the board and transfer energy. Neither extreme results in an efficient ollie.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
13rian

^^^^ dont need to ad anything there, its right on the piont

over the park board tho
the duece is a crap board on the mountain, but its actually pretty good for jibbing and stuff. to be really onist, id get a proper board for the mountain and keep the duece for messing around on, its the only thing its good for anyway.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Blue Streak

I find I like my flexy for most of the day - more comfortable. But when I am in the mood - usually around bedtime with the right person beside me.. then I like it stiff.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Streak View Post
I find I like my flexy for most of the day - more comfortable. But when I am in the mood - usually around bedtime with the right person beside me.. then I like it stiff.
Lol, thats so corny.
Technine Icon is offline   Reply With Quote