Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Yes PYL vs. Jones Flagship??? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/139818-yes-pyl-vs-jones-flagship.html)

BoardChitless 05-08-2014 08:44 PM

Yes PYL vs. Jones Flagship???

I'm sure the 2 can both be braggable(<<<new word) and have some faults while doing so... Both boards stick to my likings, and I want to choke up for a big-mountain board nonetheless. Heard many great things about the Flag, and also Yes boards in general. I know up until recently, both boards were made at Nidecker and offer similar utility by having a camrock hybrid with the long nose being a key factor for both boards. Think some Jones are now made in Austria at GST, and are pretty much the same as last model with that notable blunt nose.

Not that it matters, because I think both manu's are top-notch, is the Flag or PYL the sleigh to part with for those that have seen or rode both... one board stiffer than the other? Which one is lighter? Appreciate any pro's and/or con's...

If you all had to choose between one board to get for the pow and some hard lines as well... what would it be?

neni 05-12-2014 01:05 PM

I just answer as nobody else does :)

For what you want to ride, you can't go wrong with a Flagship. Big mountain is really where it shines. (But I don't know the PYL (hardly ever see Yes here), so it could be great as well).

As for weight difference... if you look at the numbers over here http://www.snowboardingforum.com/sno...ard-weigh.html it's interesting how close together many boards are. However, if there's a difference, the question remains if that difference has an effect on you... if you'd know the delta between the two, what difference would you consider to be of relevance?

Edit: oh and yes, the '14 Flagship is made by GST.

Oldman 05-12-2014 03:34 PM

Unlike Neni, I have zero hours on a Flag; thus no insight.

However I just spent most of my winter on a '13 PYL and I love this board.

My take on it is this;

There are better "Powder" boards out there.

There are better "Point & Shoot, Hard Charging" boards out there. ( The Flag perhaps? )

BUT, if you are looking for a board that will do both very, very well, then the PYL is what you are looking for.

It is a wickedly well rounded experience. For me this is a board that all others in the "All Mountain / Big Mountain" category should be striving to be.

Now I say this with with a BRAND NEW NIDECKER MEGALIGHT staring at me from the corner of the room and by this time next year, I might be singing a different song.......

Damn I love riding and just writing about it makes me realize how much I miss it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

neni 05-12-2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldman (Post 1710994)
Now I say this with with a BRAND NEW NIDECKER MEGALIGHT staring at me from the corner of the room and by this time next year, I might be singing a different song.......

Damn I love riding and just writing about it makes me realize how much I miss it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha, the Megalight... they sent me a demo last year for the last week of the season and I was super stoked to try it; but in the package was a 168 :blink: someone there had a very bad handwriting :D. Still don't know how it rides. Goes to the list together with a PYL.

BTW: planning trips helps to shorten the time between winters

ju87 05-13-2014 04:15 AM

Quote:

you're gonna love that Megalight

BFBF 05-13-2014 08:46 AM

Quote:

Unlike Neni, I have zero hours on a Flag; thus no insight.

However I just spent most of my winter on a '13 PYL and I love this board.

My take on it is this;

There are better "Powder" boards out there.

There are better "Point & Shoot, Hard Charging" boards out there. ( The Flag perhaps? )

BUT, if you are looking for a board that will do both very, very well, then the PYL is what you are looking for.

It is a wickedly well rounded experience. For me this is a board that all others in the "All Mountain / Big Mountain" category should be striving to be.

Spot on.
I had a year on flag and now have a carbon in the corner staring at me, I also have this years PYL.
PYL is my favorite board I've ridden in a while, a little more versatile than the flag(flag is Point and shoot) = confident in any situation or terrain , also more fun to ride than the flag.

Good luck.

binarypie 05-13-2014 12:32 PM

I have a crabon flagship and there is no other board I'd rather be on when it comes to technical lines with large penalties for failure.

My flagship is my every day board except when I'm going to attempt to ride park or it is so deep that my hovercraft wins out :)

BoardChitless 05-14-2014 10:03 PM

Appreciate all replies. I also am now thinking if I go the PYL I will wait for the '15 if I can't find the size, but there are some pretty decent sales on the Flag '14 now in my opinion.

Contemplating on the size of the Flag... thinking a 161 or 158 since I'm pouring near 200lbs and 6'.

And, thank you Neni, your posts are always legit... will never forget the thread you made when shreddin' Alaska, that was the chit!! Best Post of the Season... serious.

Probably, will go 161 Flag or next year's 159 PYL. OldMan, gracias on the reply, everyone I know who rides a Yes really digs them, like everyone. Never knew anyone to have a Yes PYL, although I really do think that's the board I may grab unless these Flag's dip even more, then I'll definitely go Jones.

Have heard the Flag is definitely more of a plank, and maybe not as stiff as the PYL, but I've never played with both at once. Believe both are truly similar from what I see spec-wise, so maybe the price makes the purchase in the next week.