layers? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Technik

Default layers?

I assume a lot of people on here layer. so im looking for some equiptment advice. i currently layer on the bottom with UA cold gear compression shorts, UA cold gear leggings and then tight cotton (i know bad idea) pj pants. im looking for something better than the cotton. i have used it for a couple years and its just no bueno. what can i use for an additional layer to keep me warm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2009, 11:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
zackoz

icebreaker merino wool.... nuff said.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You must be a lizard or something. I wear UA Cold Gear and that's it. It keeps me warm down to about 0-5 degrees fahrenheit. Some companies do make a water resistant hoodie. Something like that might work.
Rome Anthem 158
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I wear special blend mid layer fleece over my base layer stuff but it's pretty cheap and falling apart. My brother has a 686 zip fleece and 686 fleece mid layer pants and they're the best quality I've ever seen. Looking to pick some up on sale myself.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i wear northface midweight base layers. worth every penny. i have holden pants aka tight so i need something thin and warm. it works.
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ddutty

I have tried just about everything for base layers, Under armor, merino wool, various synthetics. Hands down, the best thing I have ever used for warmth / dryness is Under Armor Base 3.0

This stuff is so good it defies logic. I can wear this and a good wind / waterproof jacket on most days and keep completely warm and dry with no mid layer. On extreme cold days a throw on a fleece for a midlayer and I'm set.

The stuff Is expensive... the shirts are like $70 (if you can find them,they are sold out most places). But you will never use another base layer again after you try it.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Technik

while this is all great advice, you guys got what im asking completely confused. i want to know what i could use to layer on top of my UA leggings.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Honestly i just wear a pair of Duofold Polypropylene long underwear, and the matching shirt. I usually then just put on my ski pants, and throw a nice light Mtn Hardware fleece over top and then my Mtn Hardware Pro Gortex Shell, i never really get cold unless im standing around outside not doing anything for long periods of time..but who the hell does that lol..after a run or two im all warmed up for the rest of the day.

How cold are we talking here? UA with a good pair of Snow pants with liner should be more than enough to keep you warm. I have really bad cirulation(my feet are always bone cold) and never really have any issues with my legs getting cold..

Last edited by arsenic0; 02-28-2009 at 03:40 PM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Technik

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
Honestly i just wear a pair of Duofold Polypropylene long underwear, and the matching shirt. I usually then just put on my ski pants, and throw a nice light Mtn Hardware fleece over top and then my Mtn Hardware Pro Gortex Shell, i never really get cold unless im standing around outside not doing anything for long periods of time..but who the hell does that lol..after a run or two im all warmed up for the rest of the day.

How cold are we talking here? UA with a good pair of Snow pants with liner should be more than enough to keep you warm. I have really bad cirulation(my feet are always bone cold) and never really have any issues with my legs getting cold..
im talking down to 0. the east coast, mountain creek in particular, you end up in the lift line and on the lift more than riding usually. so im looking for something over the under armor to keep me warm while not moving to much. and something that doesnt get soaking wet is always a plus
Old 02-28-2009, 04:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ddutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technik View Post
and something that doesnt get soaking wet is always a plus
I think your cold problem may stem from your shell pants. They shouldnt allow anything to get wet underneath them, and they should also keep you warm. I was in -20 windchill earlier in the year and just had some leggings and my pants on, and my legs were AOK

Get a good pair of pants with insulated lining and minimum 10K Waterproof / 10K Breathability