Another stupid binding question, spare bolts - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Another stupid binding question, spare bolts

After having spent a week up in the mountain riding my new (and first) snowboard, i decided to try a different binding set up. I realized from the obscure forum manual that pretty much every part is adjustable, so i decided to try and rotate the back plate on the forward binding. It's sitting at 21 or 24 degrees (not sure since it seems like the marks are not aligned well) so i tried rotating the blackplate so its more parallel to the board edge, rather than pointing diagonally.

Well, i unscrewed one bolt flawlessly, but the other one felt like it was cemented. After using WD40, and trying to bulge it by doing minute turns in both directions i somehow managed to unscrew it, but i'm afraid that i damaged the bolt a bit. Shiny metal can definitely be seen through the black paint, and i'm afraid to unscrew it again, or tighten it the way it says on their website:

"Screws should be tightened until seated and then tightened three full turns."

Everything on the bindings seems less flexible when i took the board inside again. Straps, back plate. I was hardly able to unscrew the plate and change the angles. Is this something basic knowledge with which im unfamiliar with, like things expand and contract depending on temperature or am i crazy?

Also, is it possible to find spare bolts for bindings? Are they standardized? I've been googling a bit but i cant find anything.
pailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Contact the dealer wher you bought the bindings, they should find you some spare parts. IF they don't have any, ask them to order some in. If they can't do that, or if this way is more convenient, contact the manufacturer directly for parts.

As for if it's actually broken, I have no clue.
markee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
rutger1413

Seeing metal through the pain itsnt a big deal, you just took some paint off most likely. Unless they are stripped,the bolts are not damaged. Also to keep them tight use some blue lock tight.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

They're not broken, but i definitely scrapped some metal from the hole teeth, meaning, if i place the screwdriver into any of the other screws, it fits rather tight, if i place it into the screw in question, its definitely loose.

Maybe i'm making a big deal out of it, but i'm under the impression that if i repeat this a couple more times i'll end up with barren, unscrewable screws in my bindings.

*edit*

stripped - english isn't my first language, is this the term used when the screw head hole is grinded so driver doesn't have anything to lock on to?

Last edited by pailhead; 02-28-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pailhead View Post
*edit*

stripped - english isn't my first language, is this the term used when the screw head hole is grinded so driver doesn't have anything to lock on to?
yes it is
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

oh yeah!
Old 02-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
13rian

wen adjusting the high-back, dont unscrew one bolt first and then the other one.

loosen up one bolt but dont take it out, then the other one will come out easy.

same goes for the other stuff on the bindings were u need 2 unscrew 2 bolts
Old 02-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks, thats a good tip.