Help me decide! :D allmnt/freeride board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2014, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help me decide! :D allmnt/freeride board

Hey guys,

Im looking to upgrade my board this summer. The one I have, has served me great for the past 4 years, but now its time for a change. There are so many boards out on the market, and Ive gone crazy the past couple of days.

I prefer to ride powder, but also like to charge down fast on hardpack. So i really want a board that goes fast and has great edge control. I've ridden 90+km/h.

So far Ive looked at Rossignols XV, Krypto, Ride highlife (i do not like the missing magne traction), Jones Flagsip, and maybe some other models, but i cant think of any right now.

Feel free to suggest any board/brad (Libtech maybe).

And I forgot, Im a tall guy, 6'4" with 190lbs. So im looking for something longer. In the range of 163-170. (but first lets find a board, and we will talk about size later)

Oh and this, I have not ridden a board with magne traction, but from reading it makes a lot of difference on hardpack and ice. Any thoughts on that?

Last edited by stef_snb; 05-17-2014 at 10:48 AM.
stef_snb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Burton Juice Wagon, Nitro Pantera,
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

The Flagship and Highlife will be stable at the speed you mention; haven't tried the others. Add the Volkl Coal to your list.

You'll find some comments on some boards you're looking at here: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...magtek-xv.html)

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
The Flagship and Highlife will be stable at the speed you mention; haven't tried the others. Add the Volkl Coal to your list.

You'll find some comments on some boards you're looking at here: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...magtek-xv.html)

Have you ridden both the flagsip and highlife?

If so, what are the main differences?

Oh, and I forgot to mention. I wouldnt get a burton board. I simply do not like them

Edit: Read all there is about the XV on this forum and Im beginning to like it more. What i really dont like about my current board is that is has poor edge control. I go over ice, and I dont know if I am going to fall down, or barely hold on.

My only concern about the XV (mostly about all those boards), if they get floppy at speeds over hardpacK?

Last edited by stef_snb; 05-17-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef_snb View Post
Have you ridden both the flagsip and highlife?

If so, what are the main differences?
Yes. I only comment on boards I've ridden at least a full day and if on other boards, I'll give the reference. I own a Flag, was my one quiver board in '13, in use about 40days. Did demo the Highlife for a day when looking for a board to complement but decided against it cos it's too similar to the Flag on groomers (and just by the shape of it it was clear that it won't be close as good in pow). Both stiff n stable n fast transition/response, both fun to go straight n carve, both bitchy in moguls. But Flag has so much more rocker in the nose, so technically the same size would have less effective edge (which I didn't recognize as my weight is too low to actually overstrain that edge), but if you usually choose boards sizes to just fit your weight in the range middle, I could imagine that the same size of both boards could feel different. Anyway: The Flag is a big mountain board that can be ridden on groomers, but it really shines in BC. OTOH, the Highlife's an all mountain board that can tackle some fresh but not optimal in deep. BTW: Read the link

Floppy at speed? Well, I promise the Flag will be stable at speeds faster you mentioned and way faster than I'd ever dare to even think to consider. Got some speed freaks in my pack... after trying my "small" Flag, SO ordered a bigger Carbon Flag (main purpose of it is BC). He also tried the XV, but as we hardly ever ride frozen waterfalls, its extreme magne seemed unnecessary - with the disadvatage that it digs while carving on groomers. As you seem to ride icy slopes frequently, it could be an advantage for you tho. Buddy is the same point it straight rider - mainly resort riding, only occasionally hitting sidecountry - and swears by the Coal (and yes, I did ride that Coal as well and can confirm that it's fast n stable).

All in all: The boards in your list will all be fast n stable and can handle pow, same same but different.
Guess, it's more a question of what's your main aim. Optimize on groomers or optimize on pow? If the second, look for something with big rocker nose as XV or Flag; if the first, go more in the direction of Coal or Highlife (less rocker nose, more pronounced camber).

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale

Last edited by neni; 05-17-2014 at 02:15 PM. Reason: typos... damn miniature smartphone keyboard
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

First two that pooped into my head are the Flow Maverick and Jones Flagship. Though most people I've talked to at demos after riding both those back to back preferred the Maverick.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Resident poet

Quote:
Hey guys,

I prefer to ride powder, but also like to charge down fast on hardpack. So i really want a board that goes fast and has great edge control. I've ridden 90+km/h.

(i do not like the missing magne traction), Jones Flagsip, and maybe some other models, but i

I have not ridden a board with magne traction, but from reading it makes a lot of difference on hardpack and ice. Any thoughts on that?
Well powder and blasting down hardpact...magnetraction...depends on skill level... for some it won't help and some will note that mag will hinder. Blasting downhard pack...camber will work better than mag. Ice...bad skills = mag and mad skills = no mag cam....but cam with mag works darn well. As for powder...it depends on the kind, how deep, the slope and if riding bowls, chutes or trees....which will determine the profile and size.

Of course most prefer to ride pow...but what kind of powder do you plan to riding...or where?

But since ur asking for an all mtn/free ride...rather vauge request...that will do everything but no-one-thing well...besides doing a bit of everything...perhaps a rider's choice with c2pbx or something with c3 or rcr profile.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 05-18-2014 at 06:38 AM.
wrathfuldeity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Hey guys,

Im looking to upgrade my board this summer. The one I have, has served me great for the past 4 years, but now its time for a change. There are so many boards out on the market, and Ive gone crazy the past couple of days.

So far Ive looked at Rossignols XV, Krypto, Ride highlife (i do not like the missing magne traction), Jones Flagsip, and maybe some other models, but i cant think of any right now.

Feel free to suggest any board/brad (Libtech maybe).

And I forgot, Im a tall guy, 6'4" with 190lbs. So im looking for something longer. In the range of 163-170. (but first lets find a board, and we will talk about size later)

Oh and this, I have not ridden a board with magne traction, but from reading it makes a lot of difference on hardpack and ice. Any thoughts on that?
Jones Carbon Flagship !
Great in Powder and really fast on Groomers !
its stiff and responsive ! good float from the s-rocker
Shredtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredtastic View Post
Jones Carbon Flagship !
Great in Powder and really fast on Groomers !
its stiff and responsive ! good float from the s-rocker
Whats the main diff between the carbon and normal version? The carbon is just stiffer?
Old 05-18-2014, 07:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Have you ridden magnetraction? If you haven't, I strongly suggest trying a board with it before buying a board with it. I love great edge hold, but I am not a fan of magnetraction, even the milder 5S version.

Maybe if I rode shitty east coast conditions my opinion would differ, but on decent snow I'm not a fan.