Looking to upgrade Burton Custom to similar - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2014, 01:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking to upgrade Burton Custom to similar

Hey All,

I have been snowboarding (poorly) for many years and just recently moved out to the Rockies for work and have gotten really into it over the past season. I am slowly upgrading my gear since everything I have has either been freebees or cheap deals from friends. Because of that, I didn't get much say in anything, but hey it was better than renting.

Now this year I have progressed a lot, so I think it is time my equipment becomes suited for me. I have already ditched the old boots and got some DC Phase boots which actually fit me properly, size 10.5.

My board is an old 2000 Burton Custom 156 "Shaft" model equipped with some old Ride Preston bindings. I have really gotten used to this board over the season and can really start to manipulate it. I do the best going down blues, but have fun struggling down the blacks since I can quickly turn from one edge to the next to fight my way down the hill. I have no interest in the park, just having fun on the groomed runs or backside.

I started searching for boards, but am overwhelmed by the options and am hoping someone can help point me in the right direction. Should I keep the same size board since that is what I am used to? When I try some steep black diamonds, I would like to be able to quickly turn and stop, (then go, and stop and go...) But when I am on a blue I would like to carve it and feel good.
Should I get a wide board for my shoe size 10.5? How about the flex? I think the current board is 5/10.

I am going to upgrade the bindings for sure, but should I get a new board at the same time, or does it make a difference?

I am also not looking to drop a fortune on the new setup, but something that will be better than what I am currently riding and will make me feel better out there and let me maybe speed up.

Absolutely any suggestions are welcomed, no clue where to begin.
Krimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2014, 09:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

To help with sizing it would help to know your weight?

*I started on a Custom & my next board (Never Summer SL) really helped me with my confidence & my riding improved across the board.

Last edited by Snow Hound; 05-19-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Snow Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

I am 5'11" and weigh 190-200lbs.

Last edited by Krimson; 05-19-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

I know you stated you didn't want to spend a fortune, but do you have a budget dollar wise to offer suggestions?

Take a look at these sites to get an idea of prices, if you see something you like I wouldn't wait too much longer since a lot of last years stock is selling out since prices are reduced.

Outdoor Gear & Clothing | Run, Camp, Bike & More | Backcountry.com
Snowboard. Skate. Surf. Clothing. Shoes. | Tactics Board Shop
Ski, Snowboard, Wakeboard, Skateboard & the Freshest Clothes | evo

Also look at Craigslist and eBay for some used deals. For your weight and what you want to do your new board length should be longer than 156.
Simon Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

I would ideally like to spend no more than $500-600 on board and bindings.

Going larger than 156, will I still be able to swing the board around easily when I'm struggling down a black diamond? I literally go down a bit, then kick out the back to stop. Or when I get stuck in moguls (which I tend to come across more than I like) I like the maneuverability to turn quickly to get through them. I also end up in narrow tree paths quite a bit.

I would like to buy new this year since everything I have ever owned has been second or third hand.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Hard to say if you'll have troubles to swing a longer board. In general, longer will be harder to turn but this also depends a lot on the model... and most of all on your leg work. Main question is, why do think you need to size up? I ony three reasons to size up: more stability needed when bombing, more edge needed when carving at higher speed, more float needed in pow. If none applies to you, no need to size up.

[QUOTE=Krimson;1715410
I am going to upgrade the bindings for sure, but should I get a new board at the same time, or does it make a difference?
[/QUOTE]

If your bindings are as old as your board, then definitely get new bindings as well now. They have changed a lot since then. Better straps, more comfort, better adjustability, better boot hold.

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

The only reason why I was thinking about sizing up is because of some calculator I put my info in online and it recommended 163. I am pretty happy with my 156 though.

Would a longer board make going faster feel smoother? I usually start slowing down when I feel unstable. It could also be that I haven't waxed my board since I got it (>7 years).

Are there specific bindings I should be looking at with specific boards?
Old 05-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimson View Post
It could also be that I haven't waxed my board since I got it (>7 years).
Aaaaaaaaa! Make waxing to your habit, else the gods of snowboarding will never be on your side

Yes, in general, a longer board the same shape/flex will be smoother than a shorter. But it will be more work to turn. It's a trade off.

Online calculators are fun. Different ones have put me on boards from 145 up to 157 .
Good starting point would be the weight range of a specific board you're interested in. I'd say, get one you're in the upper part of the range (=smaller) to adjust for your need to have something easy to turn on steeps. I assume, this will put you on something 158ish.

I've close to zero experience with "nice" all mountain boards. Tried a Rome Agent (camber) and Burton Sherlock which could fit, just to throw in some options. But there are surely many other nice all mountain boards. Others will know more options.

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Awesome, thanks!

Since I like the ability to quickly turn, should I be looking for something more flexy than stiff? I'm considering the NeverSummer SL, it's in the mid-flex zone, 158 size, can fit my boot size, and seems to be a good intermediate board.

Anyone have any other recommendations, or comments about this board?

How about bindings to go along with it? I don't have the first clue how to purchase bindings, I didn't even realize you could get different kinds.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have a 158 NS SL, my weight bounces between 185-187 and I have a 10.5 boot. I have a pair of Rome 390's and Rome 390 Boss bindings I switch off and on with.

The SL is a great board for what you do. It might take half a day or so to get used to the camber/rocker/camber profile if you never rode a board like that before. This board is sort of like a jack of all trades master of none. I ride mine out in the east coast so I went with a 158, if I was out in CO I would have picked up the 161 for better float and stability. Yeah with a shorter board your going to have more "agility" with it and it will be easier to learn on.

Now you mentioned issues on higher end runs, are you nervous or scared? Chances are it might just be a confidence issue.
Simon Birch is offline   Reply With Quote