Extruded Base VS. Sintered Base - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Snow-4-Ever

Default Extruded Base VS. Sintered Base

Hey, I'm looking at the Capita Scaremaster and noticed it has an extruded base and not sintered. I've never rode an extruded base and wondering how much of a difference it will make. I mostly ride park with the odd run somewhere else. So do you think it will make much difference and if so, how much? Is the board still worth getting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2009, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I don't ride anything extruded. It's slower, softer, doesn't slide well on rails and boxes, and doesn't hold wax for more than a day. The only advantage is it's easy to fix if you gouge it. But a sintered base is more resistant to impact so it doesn't get as many core shots.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
oneplankawanka

most park boards have an extruded base. You will be fine However, if given a choice, I would pick a sintered base every time. They are much faster and harder, but are associated with higher end boards. The speed diff if noticeable.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Cheap park boards have an extruded base.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Snow-4-Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
Well I what board should I be looking at that has a sintered base but is not really expensive? I've heard the scaremaster is a good board. And This will only be my second board and my old one was extruded so will I notice a difference or will it be the same?
Old 03-01-2009, 12:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
oneplankawanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
quite the generalization there extremo. The Bataleon Evil Twin is NOT a cheap board and it comes with an extruded base. As do all the twins in their line with the exception of the Riot. Which is basically the E twin on steroids with kevlar and more carbon fiber reinforcement.

Generally speaking, High end board sintered base. low to midline board extruded base.

Last edited by oneplankawanka; 03-01-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Most ride boards you will see have a sintered base, I just got the DH2 this year after riding an extruded base previously (stepchild powder sucks from last year). I must say it does make small rock chips / scratches easeir to repair, and seems to prevent core shots more, though I haven't really had any bad ones yet.
SB4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneplankawanka View Post
quite the generalization there extremo. The Bataleon Evil Twin is NOT a cheap board and it comes with an extruded base. As do all the twins in their line with the exception of the Riot. Which is basically the E twin on steroids with kevlar and more carbon fiber reinforcement.

Generally speaking, High end board sintered base. low to midline board extruded base.
i agree with extremo, extruded bases come on boards that you beat up, or boards that suck. the et is one of itself pretty much unless it really is as "park-ey" as i hear..
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
oneplankawanka

the et is one of itself pretty much unless it really is as "park-ey" as i hear..[/QUOTE] Huh?wtf?

Right. So if this is the case why would you want a dedicated park board with an expensive base if you are going to just beat it up as you say? This is the exact reason why park boards are built with an extruded base.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneplankawanka View Post

Right. So if this is the case why would you want a dedicated park board with an expensive base if you are going to just beat it up as you say? This is the exact reason why park boards are built with an extruded base.
+1. as for extruded bases not holding wax for more than a day, i disagree. i ride an
evil twin and it definitely holds wax for atleast 3-4 trips. i dont mean small 2-3
hour trips. everytime we go boarding its from usually 8AM-10PM. i check my base
everytime i come home decide on whether or not to wax it that night. so, for me
at least, my extruded base holds wax for about 35 hours of pure riding. which is
definitely not one day.