Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Centered&Set back question (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/140610-centered-set-back-question.html)

hopex420 05-26-2014 07:05 AM

Centered&Set back question

Hi experts!
I'm getting a new board but I'm new to snowboards. Will I be able to have my bindings centred on a set back stance board??
Thanks in advance

ETM 05-26-2014 07:23 AM

Unless your stance is really wide you can usually set up forward of centre if you want to. Setting up centre should be no problem

Argo 05-26-2014 07:28 AM

How big is the setback in the board? is it a directional twin OR a true directional with a tapered tail and different base design on tip/tail?

hopex420 05-26-2014 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argo (Post 1720442)
How big is the setback in the board? is it a directional twin OR a true directional with a tapered tail and different base design on tip/tail?

It's directional twin.
This board actually:
http://thegoodride.com/snowboard-reviews/k2-bright-lite-review-and-buying-advice/
And I'm only 5"1 and getting this is size 138cm. Do you think it'll be possible to set the bindings centred?

Thanks in advance

hopex420 05-26-2014 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETM (Post 1720434)
Unless your stance is really wide you can usually set up forward of centre if you want to. Setting up centre should be no problem

I'm 5"1 and my stance is about 18.75 inches. Getting the board in size 138cm, do you think it'll be possible to set it centred?

Thank you!!

Argo 05-26-2014 08:22 AM

Set it one hole forward and you should be fine. it's only a 3/4" setback. Just know it won't ever ride as a true twin.

chomps1211 05-26-2014 12:04 PM

Hmnnn,.. This thread confuses me. I myself would definitely defer to Argo & ETM as experienced "experts," but I'm a little confused about their opinion/advice concerning going ahead and riding with a centered stance on a set-back, directional twin?? :dunno:

I have a directional twin board. I tried to center the stance early on when I was first learning. I found it to be un-ridable like that. A board with a setback is usually designed to be ridden like that. Centering the stance changes the entire riding characteristics of the deck,.. No?

...also, Here's the link to the board you're considering. ...I believe that around here anyway, "The Good Ride" is Not considered particularly accurate or un-biased when it comes to rating a boards true performance! (...am I mistaken about The Good Ride's reputation for reviews & objectivity?)

You might want to check other sites to get a more objective review of that board & it's specs.

I will be interested to read the feedback on this myself! :thumbsup:

td.1000 05-26-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chomps1211 (Post 1720514)
I have a directional twin board. I tried to center the stance early on when I was first learning. I found it to be un-ridable like that. A board with a setback is usually designed to be ridden like that. Centering the stance changes the entire riding characteristics of the deck,.. No?

"un-ridable" is a bit harsh isn't it? it might not be ideal but it is certainly doable. if anything I would say it's quite standard to start with a directional board and try different stances and what-not on that before buying something more specific.

linvillegorge 05-26-2014 02:18 PM

I'm not a big fan of not being centered over a board's camber profile. Any benefits of being centered get shot to shit by the quirkiness of not being centered over the camber. Just my opinion, but if you want to ride centered just get a true twin.

Argo 05-26-2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chomps1211 (Post 1720514)
Hmnnn,.. This thread confuses me. I myself would definitely defer to Argo & ETM as experienced "experts," but I'm a little confused about their opinion/advice concerning going ahead and riding with a centered stance on a set-back, directional twin?? :dunno:

...also, Here's the link to the board you're considering. ...I believe that around here anyway, "The Good Ride" is Not considered particularly accurate or un-biased when it comes to rating a boards true performance! (...am I mistaken about The Good Ride's reputation for reviews & objectivity?)

You might want to check other sites to get a more objective review of that board & it's specs.

I will be interested to read the feedback on this myself! :thumbsup:

This is why I stated its would never ride like a true twin, def rideable. You will be slightly off center but not much with the very little setback. If the board is cheap on sale and you just have to have that graphic design then go for it. I have ridden a board since I started snowboarding with anywhere from a 1.5-3" build in setback and usually moved my stance forward a bit so it was more centered on the board and not so much on the camber, then when it snowed I could slide it back and have a setback board.

I will say though.... I usually had great snow conditions and not a hard pack to deal with so it wasn't a big deal.

Again, setback board not optimal but definitely doable, especially with a good price and only a 3/4" set back which when slid forward it would only throw It off slightly from your cambers center