Centered&Set back question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2014, 07:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Centered&Set back question

Hi experts!
I'm getting a new board but I'm new to snowboards. Will I be able to have my bindings centred on a set back stance board??
Thanks in advance
hopex420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2014, 07:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Unless your stance is really wide you can usually set up forward of centre if you want to. Setting up centre should be no problem
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

How big is the setback in the board? is it a directional twin OR a true directional with a tapered tail and different base design on tip/tail?
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
How big is the setback in the board? is it a directional twin OR a true directional with a tapered tail and different base design on tip/tail?
It's directional twin.
This board actually:
http://thegoodride.com/snowboard-reviews/k2-bright-lite-review-and-buying-advice/
And I'm only 5"1 and getting this is size 138cm. Do you think it'll be possible to set the bindings centred?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-26-2014, 07:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
Unless your stance is really wide you can usually set up forward of centre if you want to. Setting up centre should be no problem
I'm 5"1 and my stance is about 18.75 inches. Getting the board in size 138cm, do you think it'll be possible to set it centred?

Thank you!!
Old 05-26-2014, 08:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Set it one hole forward and you should be fine. it's only a 3/4" setback. Just know it won't ever ride as a true twin.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Hmnnn,.. This thread confuses me. I myself would definitely defer to Argo & ETM as experienced "experts," but I'm a little confused about their opinion/advice concerning going ahead and riding with a centered stance on a set-back, directional twin??

I have a directional twin board. I tried to center the stance early on when I was first learning. I found it to be un-ridable like that. A board with a setback is usually designed to be ridden like that. Centering the stance changes the entire riding characteristics of the deck,.. No?

...also, Here's the link to the board you're considering. ...I believe that around here anyway, "The Good Ride" is Not considered particularly accurate or un-biased when it comes to rating a boards true performance! (...am I mistaken about The Good Ride's reputation for reviews & objectivity?)

You might want to check other sites to get a more objective review of that board & it's specs.

I will be interested to read the feedback on this myself!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomps1211 View Post
I have a directional twin board. I tried to center the stance early on when I was first learning. I found it to be un-ridable like that. A board with a setback is usually designed to be ridden like that. Centering the stance changes the entire riding characteristics of the deck,.. No?
"un-ridable" is a bit harsh isn't it? it might not be ideal but it is certainly doable. if anything I would say it's quite standard to start with a directional board and try different stances and what-not on that before buying something more specific.
td.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm not a big fan of not being centered over a board's camber profile. Any benefits of being centered get shot to shit by the quirkiness of not being centered over the camber. Just my opinion, but if you want to ride centered just get a true twin.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomps1211 View Post
Hmnnn,.. This thread confuses me. I myself would definitely defer to Argo & ETM as experienced "experts," but I'm a little confused about their opinion/advice concerning going ahead and riding with a centered stance on a set-back, directional twin??

...also, Here's the link to the board you're considering. ...I believe that around here anyway, "The Good Ride" is Not considered particularly accurate or un-biased when it comes to rating a boards true performance! (...am I mistaken about The Good Ride's reputation for reviews & objectivity?)

You might want to check other sites to get a more objective review of that board & it's specs.

I will be interested to read the feedback on this myself!
This is why I stated its would never ride like a true twin, def rideable. You will be slightly off center but not much with the very little setback. If the board is cheap on sale and you just have to have that graphic design then go for it. I have ridden a board since I started snowboarding with anywhere from a 1.5-3" build in setback and usually moved my stance forward a bit so it was more centered on the board and not so much on the camber, then when it snowed I could slide it back and have a setback board.

I will say though.... I usually had great snow conditions and not a hard pack to deal with so it wasn't a big deal.

Again, setback board not optimal but definitely doable, especially with a good price and only a 3/4" set back which when slid forward it would only throw It off slightly from your cambers center