Another SL-R review - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 463
Default Another SL-R review

From a lower intermediate perspective. Half-ass Burton Avenger style

Me: 5'11" 148 lbs
Board: SL-R 155
Bindings: 07/08 390
Boots: Salomon Maori size 9.5
Stance: 15/-6 21" goofy
Conditions: Virgin pina colada
Tunes: Prong
Mindset: I hope this 2nd shot of 5-hour energy doesn't make me feel weird
One word: Cake

Review: This board rips. I was nervous that moving from a regular cambered board to a reverse camber at my stage of the game was going to throw me for a loop. This couldn't have been further from the truth. Whether you call it cheating or not, this board instantly made me a better rider, and it's so easy to ride. So responsive, super maneuverable, and seemingly impossible to catch an edge. I couldn't believe how forgiving it was. Despite NS claims that the board is ready to ride out of the box, including a One Ball Jay wax, the factory wax blows. My 105 lb wife was roasting me in the flats on her 142 Roxy, and generally I felt like I was getting bogged down a lot. That aside, I was so stoked with this board, and was really blown away by what a different riding experience it was to my DH. SO much more stable, especially in the crud (which is all there was today). I couldn't recommend this board highly enough to someone making the transition from beginner to intermediate, and am so happy I picked it up.

Edit: meant to put this in review forum

Last edited by buggravy; 03-01-2009 at 10:21 PM.
buggravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-01-2009, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
alpha732
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I really want to try an sl-r, but from what I hear they're not as forgiving as other rockers? Maybe Ill buy one next season.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
arsenic0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 2,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha732 View Post
I really want to try an sl-r, but from what I hear they're not as forgiving as other rockers? Maybe Ill buy one next season.
I think you have it backwards. No other rocker is as forgiving as the SL-R...hense why Lib Tech is moving to double rocker in 2010, because while the Banana is a great board and all it feels much different than a regular snowboard..something that some people just cant get past. Double rocker feels more like a regular cambered board.

Did you do a fresh wax before you went out or did you ride on the factory crap? I've never really had any issues with my SL-R bogging down...
__________________
'09 151 Never Summer SL-R
'10 K2 T1 DB Bots
'09 Burton Cartel Bindings
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
I think you have it backwards. No other rocker is as forgiving as the SL-R...hense why Lib Tech is moving to double rocker in 2010, because while the Banana is a great board and all it feels much different than a regular snowboard..something that some people just cant get past. Double rocker feels more like a regular cambered board.

Did you do a fresh wax before you went out or did you ride on the factory crap? I've never really had any issues with my SL-R bogging down...
Yeah, this board couldn't have been more forgiving. I also didn't think it rode "differently" so to speak than my regular cambered board - just better.

And yes, I rode on the factory crap. The girl at NS said that, unlike other manufacturers, they use a wax that's ready to ride out of the box. Wrong. I'll give it a real wax job before going out next time.
buggravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
vietfrost
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

hows the flexibility? can it hold a decent press?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
arsenic0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 2,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggravy View Post
Yeah, this board couldn't have been more forgiving. I also didn't think it rode "differently" so to speak than my regular cambered board - just better.

And yes, I rode on the factory crap. The girl at NS said that, unlike other manufacturers, they use a wax that's ready to ride out of the box. Wrong. I'll give it a real wax job before going out next time.
Maybe ready to ride out of the box on a fresh board..but your getting one probably 3-6 months after it left the factory.
__________________
'09 151 Never Summer SL-R
'10 K2 T1 DB Bots
'09 Burton Cartel Bindings
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Seedy J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I posted a review of the SL-R in January and said it wasn't very forgiving. I'm an idiot though, and I had the bindings set back. Awesome for deep powder, but really sketchy for anything else. With the bindings centered though, it's a really nice ride. Holds an edge really well, and very hard to catch an edge. I'd also said it was hard to butter, but again that was due to the setback stance. With a centered stance and the board broken in a bit more, it's still not a noodle but it's easy enough to hold a nice long press.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums