Youth board options - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2014, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Youth board options

My son's done with his first year, he'll be turning 10 Dec 1st. He's been riding a Burton Chopper 120cm and it's serving him pretty well. A combination of having idle fingers and prices being so low has me looking at what a good next board might be. And opening up a new board Dec 1st which is usually opening day around here just seems too perfect.

We live in New England so mostly groomers. End of the year he wandered a bit into the beginner park to do some small jumps. This year he'll definitely try to tackle the boxes. But he's far from park rat, mostly groomers with the old man, so I'm thinking maybe something with magnetraction or equivalent.

So I've been looking at

Burton Super Hero - eh, doesn't do much for me. No idea why
Burton Protest - seems a better choice

Gnu Danny Kass Mini - He's not a big fan of the graphics and that matters at 9.
LibTech Lil Ripper - I think this is the front runner right now
NS Mini Evo - Unsure if it's a good fit for all mountain???

???? - other good choices?

Weight wise he's 60lbs wet, though is in a bit of a growth spurt. Which is why maybe I'm thinking another season on the Chopper which he's still in the weight range for and hold off until next year this time to buy a little bigger 'better' board.

Oh, and price range would be <$200 on sale.
f00bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2014, 06:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

weight wise he is very similar to my son. 10 also
he started with an older camber chopper 125, but he had a core shot after first year and we got a 2013 super hero 130, he is 68 lbs now. he loves the board, he does (70 park, 30 all mountain) his only complaint with it is that he is not heavy enough to hit the rails hard. any one of those boards would serve you well
larrytbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

The thing I notice is that the lengths for his weight are way less on the Burtons. Sub 130, where as the lib/gnu and ns are at like 140 for 55+ which maxes out their youths. Certainly seems to give room for growth but that makes it a 20cm jump from what he has.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

with the youth boards I found that the weight ranges really vary. the skill of the rider helps to determine if you want to go longer (usually stiffer) on same weight range.
my son is an advanced rider on all mountain and in park he is good with boxes and jumps, he is just having issues with rails. hoping his week at woodward wil help on that, If he is lighter I would go to the shorter end of the spectrum for weight range the board will probably flex better, which will help in park

you might also want to look at
arbor elelment mini
or the arbor booger
they have a more mellower sidecut tech like magnatraction called grip tech

Last edited by larrytbull; 05-31-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Funny you posted this, I am currently trying to decide between a gnu danny kass mini 120 and a never summer mini evo 125 for my son. He is also just turning 10 and at 74 pounds right now. He's pretty decent rider already doing boxes and riding pretty fast. He rode a 110 chopper last year. Such a hard decision to make lol
rcboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboxer View Post
Funny you posted this, I am currently trying to decide between a gnu danny kass mini 120 and a never summer mini evo 125 for my son. He is also just turning 10 and at 74 pounds right now. He's pretty decent rider already doing boxes and riding pretty fast. He rode a 110 chopper last year. Such a hard decision to make lol
On both those aren't they sizing him at 140? While my son is on the smallish size he throws around his 120 chopper pretty good at 15lbs less. And the Burtons seem to size much heavier for some reason. 140 just seems like quite a jump, though it'd probably be his last non adult board.

Unfortunately it's a pretty limited market for anything other than beginner boards with even less reviews to help you out. You kind of have to go by the reviews of the big brothers and take them at their word that the smaller boards are the same at half the price.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ya to me it seems like they recommend long boards for there weight. There is no way he would like a 140. Maybe a 130 at the most if it had rocker between the feet I would think. But last year he shredded on the chopper 110. I know the chopper is a flat based board. I'll be getting him a board with a little rocker in it and rocker boards feel smaller then there actual size. He rode a 120 board one day last year and really didnt like it. It was the Rome mini shredder i believe, I think its also flat based. Im kinda leaning toward the NS mini evo 125.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Bump!

In case you guys did not buy anything yet
just picked up for my son an NS Evo Mini 130 from EVO for $167. I used thier price match -5% from peter glenn. Peter glenn right Now has a 30 off 200 coupon, (4TH30). which brings evo mini to 204.99-30 174.99

No tax, no shipping.

You would be hard pressed to find a better price on this board. Not too many boards left, and to use the price match, the place you are matching has to have same size same model

good luck
Old 07-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytbull View Post
Bump!

In case you guys did not buy anything yet
just picked up for my son an NS Evo Mini 130 from EVO for $167. I used thier price match -5% from peter glenn. Peter glenn right Now has a 30 off 200 coupon, (4TH30). which brings evo mini to 204.99-30 174.99

No tax, no shipping.

You would be hard pressed to find a better price on this board. Not too many boards left, and to use the price match, the place you are matching has to have same size same model

good luck
Wow nice!! That's cheapest then the deal I found. I ended up getting my son the 125 evo mini from daddies board shop. It was $182. Now just got to decide which bindings to get him.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

look at the ride phenoms... these things are tanks, my son uses them,
he has the size M which go to size 8 or 9 so they will grow with him
currently he is size 7

Ride Phenom Snowboard Bindings - Boy's 2014 | evo